Break Policy for PT Couriers: Thoughts & Advice

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well buddy, when you're wired to strive for excellence, sometimes it rubs those who just show up for a paycheck the wrong way.
Wired to strive for excellence???

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! (just like I'm sure your co-workers are.)

ROFLMAO.png

Yozh69

No, it's not a law. Senior manager finally told me straight up it wasn't (other managers have tried to say it was even though I looked it up and it's not). The only law is DOT which requires a break for an 8 hour shift.

Most likely he's going to tell me to deliver past my 6, then take a break when I'm done (violating the last hour policy)––but that means that I end up getting off of work at least an hour (usually more) later than what I planned. That shouldn't happen to PT employees who are PT for a reason (i.e. they have other things in their lives besides FedEx that need to be attended to in a timely manner).

Yeah, it could be the law depending on your state. http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/meal.htm

alpha x

I remember running into this issue on Saturdays. We would start around 6:30am and you would have enough stops to take you right up until noon. I would call a manager around 11:00 and ask if he wanted me to take lates and take a break before noon, or go a few minutes over 6 hours without a break? He always said go over 6 without a break.

On the break thing, if they force you to take a break in the station before you leave, demand they allow you to stay on clock over an hour after break is complete.

The answer at my station has been: "finish all your stops AND take a break, even if you are at exactly 6 hours"

Purplepackage

The answer at my station has been: "finish all your stops AND take a break, even if you are at exactly 6 hours"

Then that's what you do, or like we said you tell them I need to be done at x time so I will be bringing back any stops that I can't do.

Also just a heads up in case you didn't know but in a few weeks the volume will spike and they will expect you to work well over 6 hours everyday sometimes 6 days a week. Just something to look forward too

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Then that's what you do, or like we said you tell them I need to be done at x time so I will be bringing back any stops that I can't do.

Also just a heads up in case you didn't know but in a few weeks the volume will spike and they will expect you to work well over 6 hours everyday sometimes 6 days a week. Just something to look forward too

Except they can't force him to at Peak. The beauty of being part time...you can say no.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Except they can't force him to at Peak. The beauty of being part time...you can say no.
Sad to say, you're wrong, policy has been changed so that Express PT's must DOCUMENT that they have obligations elsewhere, such as school, another job, elder or child care, otherwise they can be REQUIRED to work up to 2 hours past their scheduled shift. Don't trust me, check it out for yourself.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sad to say, you're wrong, policy has been changed so that Express PT's must DOCUMENT that they have obligations elsewhere, such as school, another job, elder or child care, otherwise they can be REQUIRED to work up to 2 hours past their scheduled shift. Don't trust me, check it out for yourself.

No need. I already saw that policy recently.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Yeah, that thing that helps to separate the wheat from the chaff.
You give the distinct impression that you are more concerned about yourself, and not with managing employees in your care to be their best. I read once that there are two kinds of leaders: one who bullies his minions, and the other who leads by example. At the end of the day, while both may have completed their objectives, only one of them has loyal, willing followers. I know which I prefer (when I require a leader)!

Purplepackage

Anyone see the new frontline?

Mandatory saturday and Sunday before Christmas

And then mandatory saturday the 26th

Have fun everyone who is non DOT ;)

dex 84

Is it mandatory on the 26th for all employees?

I know I won't be working both days the weekend before, I'll need a 34 hour reset by then.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You give the distinct impression that you are more concerned about yourself, and not with managing employees in your care to be their best. I read once that there are two kinds of leaders: one who bullies his minions, and the other who leads by example. At the end of the day, while both may have completed their objectives, only one of them has loyal, willing followers. I know which I prefer (when I require a leader)!

I'd say that striving to be excellent in fulfilling one's duties and obligations is leading by example.

A boss who wants his employees to excel will set the example. If he's at his best, his employees will be at their best, too.

59 Dano

IIRC, local operations on the 26th are to be determined by how much undelivered freight there is on hand.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I'd say that striving to be excellent in fulfilling one's duties and obligations is leading by example.

A boss who wants his employees to excel will set the example. If he's at his best, his employees will be at their best, too.
A manager who demands performance based on a report isn't managing. A manager who demands performance on a directive from his superiors isn't managing. A manager who studies, comprehends, analyzes, and suggests or demonstrates improvements to his employee, is managing. And my personal pet peeve, a manager who issues generic statements in the hopes the offenders recognize themselves (ha) ISN'T managing. Not trying to paint you with this brush, just utilizing the soapbox.

59 Dano

A manager who demands performance based on a report isn't managing. A manager who demands performance on a directive from his superiors isn't managing. A manager who studies, comprehends, analyzes, and suggests or demonstrates improvements to his employee, is managing.

Nothing much to disagree with there. The best manager I've had in my life kept it pretty simple. She would explain our goal, describe how we were expected to arrive at it, and remind us that we are held accountable for our performance. She would then ask us what we needed, if anything, to do what was expected of us.

Your description of a manager is very good. The only problem with it is that it doesn't matter to a certain group of employees. You can tell one of those guys about a deficiency in his work. He'll deny it. You can provide an example of it. He'll deny it. You can print out the cold, hard, and undeniable data and show it to him. He'll just say that anyone can sit behind a desk and conjure up a bunch of numbers, blah blah blah. Some people are just too hard to put up with.

And my personal pet peeve, a manager who issues generic statements in the hopes the offenders recognize themselves (ha) ISN'T managing. Not trying to paint you with this brush, just utilizing the soapbox.

Eh, it works sometimes. Other times, employees will promise to do a better job, but they aren't the ones that are the problem!

One other thing. A good manager usually knows the answer before he asks the question :D