Breaking off for lunch

undies

As long as I can remember, breaking off for lunch, within a mile of your route a wasn’t an issue. Now we’re being told we have to punch the lunch in before we drive to wherever we are going to eat. Is this another flavor of the month? Anybody else hear this lately?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
As long as I can remember, breaking off for lunch, within a mile of your route a wasn’t an issue. Now we’re being told we have to punch the lunch in before we drive to wherever we are going to eat. Is this another flavor of the month? Anybody else hear this lately?
Grieve it it’s an easy win
You would be driving their truck while punched out

Brownwind

We’ve discussed this in depth before.

Start lunch when the truck shuts down. Your break area includes suitable restrooms.

Refer to your local DOT they will answer any questions about it. If you’re truck is moving your not on break you are working.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Lunch is pretty harshly protected.
And it's a grey area but I might also travel a couple minutes on break using the advice your management is giving for your lunches, so long as time is subtracted for travelling on break and the total distance for every trace break combined does not exceed 1 mile.

If you want to stay off the radar for, idk, getting in a 15 minute traffic jam to travel 1000 feet for lunch, good way to do it is to save a APT, clerk/redirect/access point request, or package that you are allowed to sheet as missed and record it where you are going to take lunch. Different ways to skin a cat and all that jazz.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's a two-way street the biggest problem is when drivers abuse it
You should never log out for lunch while you're driving unless you're going somewhere further than the closest place for you to take lunch
This widely depends on local language
Here the mile exception is fully protected, you can drive past taco bell, sheetz, wendy's, and 2 different strip joints on the clock for all we care.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What if you need to use a bathroom? We don't do that off the clock. Immediately after start lunch.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
We always went by the rule that you couldn't break from your delivery area by .25 mile. Staying within your delivery area and going back to a restaurant was allowed within reason.

100%

Can’t be driving a truck on lunch.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Grieve it it’s an easy win
You would be driving their truck while punched out
I suggest not grieving the issue unless the Company takes discipline above a warning letter.

Why ask for a Panel decision on an issue that you believe has already been decided years ago?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If you want to stay off the radar for, idk, getting in a 15 minute traffic jam to travel 1000 feet for lunch, good way to do it is to save a APT, clerk/redirect/access point request, or package that you are allowed to sheet as missed and record it where you are going to take lunch. Different ways to skin a cat and all that jazz.

And this is why people get fired.

Drive to a bathroom close to where you're taking your lunch, and use the bathroom first?

Whereistheunion

This is the new way UPS us forcing us to take our breaks. I always put in a 10 min break in route to skyline Chilli. Once there order placed I start my 30 min lunch. If you don't do it this way company may accuse you of stealing time. Not Flava of month it's the new way of doing things.

Whereistheunion

This is the new way UPS us forcing us to take our breaks. I always put in a 10 min break in route to skyline Chilli. Once there order placed I start my 30 min lunch. If you don't do it this way company may accuse you of stealing time. Not Flava of month it's the new way of doing things. UPS considers it a (Trace Break) and stealing time if you don’t put a break in your diad.