Breaks / Meal Periods

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by herbigharo32, Feb 23, 2016.

1. herbigharo32

herbigharo32 Member

As of late, the sort at the DFW Airport hub has been runner increasingly longer. It is common to run over 5 hours these days. Those who work on air volumn seem to get absolutely no break or meal periods. Why is it only certain belts get rest breaks whereas many other areas don't get any at all. Personally, my productivity takes a MASSIVE nose dive after 4.5 - 5 hours of working straight non stop. This is very pronounced on small sorts because after 4 hours, the PPH tanks pretty hard across the entire board. I'm just putting this out because the union seemed to have no interest in making sure everyone in the building gets a break when the sort is expected to last more than 3 hours.
  2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Check your states laws regarding breaks.
  3. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

He is from Texas. There are no state labor laws except whip them when the workers slow down. Former slave state.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. herbigharo32

herbigharo32 Member

True but employers also has the option to give out rest breaks and/or lunches. In fact, most do even in Texas. It's getting very aggravating because the shifts starts really dragging out because of this. Try bagging when both of the sorters next to you are pooped out....; get the picture?
  5. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

They dont allow bathroom breaks either?!
  6. herbigharo32

herbigharo32 Member

Of course we can use the bathroom. In fact, one of the nicest things about going over 5 hours without a break is overtime :censored2:. A man has to go poop eventually...right?? LOL. Now those are some pricy turds... *chuckles*
  7. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

You missed the joke but thats ok
  8. DriveInDriveOut

DriveInDriveOut The One Who Knocks

Southern Supplement Article 49.
    SECTION 3 - PART-TIME RELIEF PERIODS Part-time employees will be guaranteed ten (10) minutes relief period each work shift. The relief period may not start before the end of the first (1st) hour and must be completed by the end of the third (3rd) hour.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Someone wake up the union rep down there?
  10. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

If your contract allows a break, take one. File a grievance if you are threatened not to take a break.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Stand up for yourselves. Take a break. It's in the contract. Your sup will see it will increase production.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

Call your BA. If that does you no good feel free to come to the general meeting and voice your opinion. I find it hard to believe the union has no interest in this as my BA wants the contract enforced from every angle.
  13. tacken

tacken Active Member

Bring your bottle with you to the work area. You need to go use the bottle and keep working its UPS. Its all about the numbers. Take your breaks!!!!!!
  14. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

You usually see increased misloads after break actually.

But that shouldn't matter. He is Contractually guaranteed a break, so he should get one
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  15. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

look at it in 2 ways.

one. it is a scientific fact that productivity jumps when workers take their breaks and meals at the appointed times.

two. you work safer. do you want to cause an accident and hurt someone? a lot of people are hurt and some are killed in work place accidents usually caused by fatigue.

find out what the rule is and take your breaks.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

You know why, it's because the herd goes out to the parking lot to toke up... Can't you smell the strentch in the air when the wind blows it into the bldg... Almost as bad as the blue exhaust cloud from the trucks we all breathe in on a daily basis...
  17. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Weakly correlated to having a break, if at all.