Business Journal - Here's The Story Behind The Strike That Got 250 UPS Workers Fired

Catatonic

Nine Lives
His termination was "upheld" by his accusers!! No arbitrator has UPHELD anything!! Usually in cases such as these (non Cardinal sin), he continues to work until an arbitrator rules.
It never looks good when you start changing the story.
I've seen at least 50 references to "he never got a review with UPS and Union" present over the last month or so.
This is the first one that mentions an "arbitrator weighing in".

10 point

Nobody gets the ok to do that in our building. And if they did it would have go according to seniority order to start earlier. Good hypothesis though.
Start times are posted. They are supposed to be uniform for the week ending....such and such.

We can change our start times with permission or be required to start early.

This issue may just show the retaliation and dishonesty that hourly had to deal with in that building.
May.

SETENTA Y DOS

PCM+ME=OFFICE
10 point we all know this is far from the first time and surely not the last time UPS has and will continue to display retaliation and dishonesty against members who actually have the balls to stand up to management. Whether it be done with the filing of grievances or a show of what they consider insubordination and being a non-conformist, revealing the inner workings of the UPS production-pushing harassment machine to the public and the toll it has been taking on the loyalist, hardest working people in the package delivery industry needs to be done. I don't knock the guy who chooses to run his route off nor do I care about the guys who run my route off when I'm not in, but I'd be lying if I told everyone I haven't warned them that their actions at some point will go from being viewed as favorable and accepted by management to be used against them as soon as management feels you are not puckering up and flips it on them as being unsafe and not following methods and procedure. Just last week I was out and cover driver did not fill-up truck and left empty, did not fill out dvir, did not sign or turn in high value documents just leaving in back of truck, blew off a call tag for customer that had left pkg out all day and sheeted as not ready, and several other methods and procedures that were not followed and if had been discovered or dug up by management on me, lets just say there would be champagne flowing and cigars being handed out. I explain to them I was once in their position. There are many ways to "skin a cat" in due time and it is in the best interests of Local 804 and all the members to stand together and support each other in this time of need. Remember "IN UNITY THERE IS STRENGTH"! With that said I believe the time has come to commence drinking. I'll print out my "BPABH", beers per at bar hour and "O/S", over-served reports for managment to scrutinize on monday.

Packmule

I've been watching this story and am finding it hard to believe we are getting the whole story. In my building, you wouldn't get one person to walk out with you if you were deliberately defrauding the company let alone 250. Not just because it is a violation of contract, it is a violation of customer trust. There has to be more going on than simple dishonesty.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If he did that then he deserves to get fired. We don't get to choose our start times unfortunately. Management does. We need to know the details on this story before we make our opinions.
I clock in early and change my start time on a routine basis. If I see that my truck is loaded and ready to go there is no reason for me to stand around waiting for an arbitrary start time. Our management could care less as long as we dont have excessive AM time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If he did that then he deserves to get fired. We don't get to choose our start times unfortunately. Management does. We need to know the details on this story before we make our opinions.
We choose ours, for the most part at least. Apparently different buildings have different practices.

Sent using BrownCafe App

fatcats

Hell in our bldg we have a guy that reports anywhere from 0530-0600, loader sets pkgs at end of trk so he can load em . Runs 2 to 3+ hrs bonus everyday!! Many Grievances have been filed & he stops for awhile but it always starts up in a few days since the rest of us don't really like to show up that early to "witness" him working Mngt loves his numbers so they let it go on , I figure his 2 hrs bonus wipes out my 2 hrs over ;). It's really sad since he'll have 60-80 "recording while idling". He's #1 on all the top 5 telematics (spyware) reports. I tell mngt daily that they reward him with bonus for not following methods , working off the clock, straight up dishonesty & stealing from company but they do nothing . The OMS has to change his start time daily cuz since he reports 2 hrs before his scheduled start time & that throws up a timecard error!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
His termination was "upheld" by his accusers!! No arbitrator has UPHELD anything!! Usually in cases such as these (non Cardinal sin), he continues to work until an arbitrator rules. And by the way he did get the ok from his manager to start early WHICH MEANS HE HAS TO CHANGE THE START TIME IN HIS DIAD. What pissed off his manager was that he put his name on a large grievance signed by many about ups violating members seniority on start times!!
Stealing time/admitted dishonesty is not a cardinal sin??

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Hell in our bldg we have a guy that reports anywhere from 0530-0600, loader sets pkgs at end of trk so he can load em . Runs 2 to 3+ hrs bonus everyday!! Many Grievances have been filed & he stops for awhile but it always starts up in a few days since the rest of us don't really like to show up that early to "witness" him working Mngt loves his numbers so they let it go on , I figure his 2 hrs bonus wipes out my 2 hrs over ;). It's really sad since he'll have 60-80 "recording while idling". He's #1 on all the top 5 telematics (spyware) reports. I tell mngt daily that they reward him with bonus for not following methods , working off the clock, straight up dishonesty & stealing from company but they do nothing . The OMS has to change his start time daily cuz since he reports 2 hrs before his scheduled start time & that throws up a timecard error!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
You know waay too much about this guy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I clock in early and change my start time on a routine basis. If I see that my truck is loaded and ready to go there is no reason for me to stand around waiting for an arbitrary start time. Our management could care less as long as we dont have excessive AM time.

There is no way that this would fly in most centers, including the BOG.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
His terminatio

n was "upheld" by his accusers!! No arbitrator has UPHELD anything!! Usually in cases such as these (non Cardinal sin), he continues to work until an arbitrator rules. And by the way he did get the ok from his manager to st

art early WHICH MEANS HE HAS TO CHANGE THE START TIME IN HIS DIAD. What pissed off his manager was that he put his name on a large grievance signed by many about ups violating members seniority on start times!!

The article mentions his hearing had both union and company personal present.

Is he going to arbitration?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There is no way that this would fly in most centers, including the BOG.
DSCF2638.jpeg

Do they have flags in the BOG?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
First, he wasnt stealing time. He started WORKING early because his manager told him too. Second, he admitted to following his manager's statement to start early therefore nothing dishonest.
I'm not crucifying Reyes. The above article said he was fired for "admitted" dishonesty. In general, would that be considered a cardinal sin?

804brown

I'm not crucifying Reyes. The above article said he was fired for "admitted" dishonesty. In general, would that be considered a cardinal sin?
That article quotes management's take on the situation. Reyes admits to doing what his manager told him to do which is start early. But starting early requires one to change their start times in their diad boards which UPS is accusing reyes of doing.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That article quotes management's take on the situation. Reyes admits to doing what his manager told him to do which is start early. But starting early requires one to change their start times in their diad boards which UPS is accusing reyes of doing.
Do you know if it's true that he was warned several times prior to termination to stop changing his start time?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

I have to change my start time in the diad once in a while because the management didn't change it before hand to match the current weeks posted start times.

I would hate to have the posted start times disappear, and have management say I changed my start time with out permission.

The only thing stopping that is that I've had pretty reasonable managers and on-roads. Can you imagine working for people who would pull such a thing?