Buying your socks.

B

bigbrownone

"Just remember. It was a negotiated deal. If you want socks paid for, then I'd have them renegotiate it in next contract. Right now, it's always been a handshake deal that we pay for it. You never know, UPS could say "pants only" again. Would you want that? I don't. They only have to issue shirts, pants, and jackets. Shorts were in the accessory catalog when they first came out. I'd hate to see it revert back."

There is an article (may be in my supplement) that speaks of "prior practice" which could be filed on if they tried getting rid of the shorts. which I really don't think that they ever would, especially since fedex all wear them.

"Just remember. It was a negotiated deal. If you want socks paid for, then I'd have them renegotiate it in next contract. "

It was in the negotiations at the beggining of this last contract. I am sure that it was one of the first things that was thrown out,,,,,,between that and the beard issue.

A

archibald

Hmmm, lets see, if we push it hard enough UPS could go back to pants only, hey I live in the south, I will buy everybodys socks before I go back to pants only! Buy your damn socks! jeeez I can think of a million more things to bitch about!!, I was promoted full-time right when they started allowin shorts and I dang sure bought mine! I would still buy shorts and socks today if I had to, hell I don't wear pants more than 2 months a year if it will stay above 50, come on people we are the best! lets show it!!
cheers.gif

S

steelheader69

LOL guys. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have NO long pants issued. I ONLY wear shorts ALL year around (yes, we do get snow in winter).

Danny, I agree it's childish. But the bargaining unit sets these deals for us. They agreed to it. Makes us look bad like we're renigging on deal (not that UPS hasn't lol). But, there was a nice thing about the striped socks. We found a company that would make SAME socks for a fraction of price. Was only like $1 a pair. Say it this way, most of us stocked up while we still were able to buy them. They were heavier socks then the UPS, and lasted longer. But, only available a short time. UPS got wind of it, and shut them down.

D

dannyboy

Nah, you can still get them. Called Bobby socks. THere is no way UPS can shut them down, they never did register the gold stripe on the socks as a trademark. Of course that would really be a hard thing to do since you can get all sorts of socks with stripes on them.

If you want to buy some send me an email and Ill send you the info.

d I bought 5 doz after I agreed to the passing of the grievance. SOOOOOOO
grin.gif

W

wigman

You can just go to kmart or wherever and get brown socks. that's what I've been doing since we could wear shorts and it has never been a problem.

D

dannyboy

That is what I had been doing for over two years. But then they got on a kick, and you had to show them the stripe or the logo on the socks. That was when I filed. So if there is no problem, dont sweat it.

d

D

downtowner

I buy Whatever style of white sock I prefer and dye them brown (2.50 for the dye). No way do I pay 30.00 for a six pack of socks.
Just cause we make 65k, does not mean we gotta throw it away on stupid :censored2:.