Called the cops on a customer yesterday....

DOK

It is illegal in Oregon to "feed, harass or capture" wildlife unless it is hunting/trapping season for the specific species. If the people knew what they were doing, they would have known this. They would have known not to put a collar onto a fawn that it would quickly outgrow and then become strangled by if it ever ran away. They would have known that a fawn that still has spots on it has not yet been weaned off of its mothers milk. And they would have known that the best thing to do would be to leave the fawn where they found it without touching it. If I were wrong about any of these facts...which I am not...the Department of Fish and Wildlife would have told be that when I called them instead of getting the State Police involved.

Maybe the mother was killed by a car. You can bottle feed a fawn just like a calf. After raising it in captivity though it shouldn't be released as they have no fear of humans, wouldn't be fair to the animal during hunting season. I wouldn't call it common, but some farmers around here raise them. They're usually found while cutting hay as they use the tall hay as camouflage, if mom was alive she would be close by and visible.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Quite a few folks around here have them in pens. Keep them in high fenced pens and feed them well, one is 12 years old.
You must have much different laws. Around here what you are describing is strictly illegal. It is also cruel. Wild animals are wild, their instincts are at odds with captivity.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
It is illegal in Oregon to "feed, harass or capture" wildlife unless it is hunting/trapping season for the specific species. If the people knew what they were doing, they would have known this. They would have known not to put a collar onto a fawn that it would quickly outgrow and then become strangled by if it ever ran away. They would have known that a fawn that still has spots on it has not yet been weaned off of its mothers milk. And they would have known that the best thing to do would be to leave the fawn where they found it without touching it. If I were wrong about any of these facts...which I am not...the Department of Fish and Wildlife would have told be that when I called them instead of getting the State Police involved.
Okay, that was my issue, i didn't know your state specific laws. In Florida its different, you can actually pull permits to own deer.

soberups

Maybe the mother was killed by a car. You can bottle feed a fawn just like a calf. After raising it in captivity though it shouldn't be released as they have no fear of humans, wouldn't be fair to the animal during hunting season. I wouldn't call it common, but some farmers around here raise them. They're usually found while cutting hay as they use the tall hay as camouflage, if mom was alive she would be close by and visible.

If mom is dead, then you leave the fawn there and let nature take its course. The coyotes will solve its problems quickly enough. Bottle-feeding it and keeping it in a pen seems like the kind thing to do...until it stops being a cute baby deer and turns into a full-grown buck with antlers that goes into rut during mating season and becomes aggressive and horny. It is not fair to the animal to force domestic life upon it.

hellfire

If mom is dead, then you leave the fawn there and let nature take its course. The coyotes will solve its problems quickly enough. Bottle-feeding it and keeping it in a pen seems like the kind thing to do...until it stops being a cute baby deer and turns into a full-grown buck with antlers that goes into rut during mating season and becomes aggressive and horny. It is not fair to the animal to force domestic life upon it.
You went from being objective to subjective. People raise them to eat here

soberups

You went from being objective to subjective. People raise them to eat here
Are they wild deer, or born into captivity? I did not know that there was any place in the US that allowed people to raise deer for food. We hunt them here but its illegal to raise them.

oldngray

nowhere special
Are they wild deer, or born into captivity? I did not know that there was any place in the US that allowed people to raise deer for food. We hunt them here but its illegal to raise them.

You might be able to raise something like reindeer since its non native but not a normal white tail deer. For most of US anyway.

hellfire

Deer farming is a very popular practice..For the record i dont eat red meat, that includes pork. Ever killed and dressed a hog? Disgusting. Even when i was younger and we hunted for food i hated it. If everyone had to kill and prep there own meat there would be alot of vegans..(sorry but chicken and seafood are still on the menu). I know your passionate about animals, and thats a good thing, however, seems you have already assigned malicious intent on these people that have the fawn. Getting police involved, IMHO, was not the right thing to do. But hey, im some nobody internet stranger so....................

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There is a dog left chained up outside here 24/7/365. When the police were next door on a call once I showed them. They agreed and called the animal control officer for the department who couldn't do anything because there was a crappy little dog house there.

hellfire

That is basically just creating habitat good for deer. Then hunters harvest (hunt and kill) the wild deer on the land. A huge difference from trying to raise a deer as a pet.
Well, were i live, so fla. you can pull a permit as livestock...pet? never said that

Packmule

What irks me is all the "edge of town " homeowners that put out corn for deer and turkey. Their property will be crawling with wildlife, but there won't be much of anything out in the wild where it belongs. That's why we have so many problems with car accidents involving wildlife, and it's why we occasionally have mountain lions wandering into town looking for a poodle to eat.
Critters belong in the wild. They may be cute, but they are a vital part of the food chain and quickly overpopulate when not hunted by beast and man!

Actually, it was the Department of Fish and Wildlife who then forwarded me to the State Police wildlife enforcement office. Some well-meaning but ignorant people had found a fawn, assumed it was abandoned, and put a collar on it with a bell and set it in to live with their goats and sheep in fenced pasture. Its adorable and I understand why they want to help the cute baby deer, but if it wanders off in search of its mommy (who will probably reject it anyway to the human scent on it) it will slowly strangle to death due to having no way of getting that collar off as it grows. Even without the collar, it is a wild animal and trying to make a pet out of it is illegal, cruel and dangerous. I saw it while making a delivery, so the customer will probably know it was me that reported them, but I dont care.
View attachment 44730
You are a good man.

soberups

Point being sober... this debate wont work here
First off, I stated in an earlier post that I felt these people werent being cruel or malicious, just ignorant.

Second of all, I eat meat. Including deer that I have killed and dressed myself. I grew up in the country and we raised and slaughtered chickens, rabbits and goats.

These people arent raising deer for food. They are trying to make a pet out of a wild animal. Its against the law and it is wrong.