Can a cover driver get fired for calling for help?

AndrewK

As a swing/cover driver, are you required to do the same amount of stops as the full time bid driver for that specific route your assigned on?

Even if you lack area knowledge, can you get fired if you call for help alot at 3pm for the majority of the routes you cover

Also are you allowed to dump stops if you've never done a run before to go from say 140ish stops to 110?

The Driver

I drive.
Yes, you’ll be expected to be as good as the bid guy.

Don’t do things to get fired.

Work at a safe pace.

What’s “dumping” stops?

AndrewK

Yes, you’ll be expected to be as good as the bid guy.

Don’t do things to get fired.

Work at a safe pace.

What’s “dumping” stops?
It was my first time going blind on this run and they wanted me to do 140 stops. More experienced cover drivers told me they only do 120 on that run. Had to call for help was only able to do 120

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
You can’t get fired for being slow as long as you are actually trying. I never call for help though I just send in a late ETA and it is what it is if they want to send help or not.

As for the “dumping stops” what do you mean by that?

542thruNthru

As a swing/cover driver, are you required to do the same amount of stops as the full time bid driver for that specific route your assigned on?

Even if you lack area knowledge, can you get fired if you call for help alot at 3pm for the majority of the routes you cover

Also are you allowed to dump stops if you've never done a run before to go from say 140ish stops to 110?
First relax. You sound like someone that's too high strung and is cutting corners to make your numbers look good.
Screenshot_20210729-173341_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

We Don't recognize production numbers also we can't be held to the production standards of another driver.

Perform the job to the best of your ability and follow the methods. That's what's asked of you. Management will have you believe that you should be able to do what the computer or the best driver in the center can do. That's not true.

Do not give another's driver stops unless authorized by management. You get paid by the hour. If they want you out there for 13 hours then you work 13 hours. It's their numbers and company not yours. Work as directed.

Siveriano

I used to say
" Send me blind, expect blind results"

When I was covering a route and they were crying about my performance and told me how "this driver" do Ill pull out my badge, read it and then tell them "Hmmm different name than this driver, must be different person"

If this does not work and you have done this route before just say "I think I have done this route before yet I'm not familiar with it, I don't recall how many times I did it before but also I don't remember how it runs"

PS. We don't have Orion.

charm299

We’re allowed to call for help?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I used to say
" Send me blind, expect blind results"

When I was covering a route and they were crying about my performance and told me how "this driver" do Ill pull out my badge, read it and then tell them "Hmmm different name than this driver, must be different person"

If this does not work and you have done this route before just say "I think I have done this route before yet I'm not familiar with it, I don't recall how many times I did it before but also I don't remember how it runs"

PS. We don't have Orion.

With Orion all you have to say is “I have never/rarely done it before so I was relying on Orion.”

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
You work at a safe pace and follow the methods. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you need help then you need help. The numbers are all made up and cool if somebody runs it faster or better than you. I run city and industrial routes much better than most. Put me in the country and I fall apart. It's just not my thing.

Off the leash

You work at a safe pace and follow the methods. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you need help then you need help. The numbers are all made up and cool if somebody runs it faster or better than you. I run city and industrial routes much better than most. Put me in the country and I fall apart. It's just not my thing.
Your 100% right, numbers are meaningless. Always have been. They try to stress you out so you’ll run, don’t let them. You do you, let someone else worry about how they do there thing. Me! I could never do a metro route but I ate up rural ones. To each his own brother, you’ll figure it out. Listen to the successful drivers, not all of them are old either!

DVIR

I’ve called for help almost everyday for the last 3 months on my own route, you will be okay. Don’t let them harass you into running, you’ll get hurt or hit something and they will only blame you!

Siveriano

Hey boss. I still have 30 business stops left and pickups start in 15 minutes. You want me to miss the stops or the pickups?
I used to call them around 1545 and tell them " do you want to have missed commercial and residentials or just commercial?"
When they asked what I mean ill be like "well I can stop right now and focus on all commercial stops and leave the residentials for later when you send 5 drivers to help me finish or I can just follow my route and see what is pending at 2145"

Their answer 90% of the time was to break off and do only commercial stops to avoid any missing then the runners would came running to get their fair share of work, by the time i was done meeting with the last guy ill had like 15-20 more stops left to do.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
I used to call them around 1545 and tell them " do you want to have missed commercial and residentials or just commercial?"
When they asked what I mean ill be like "well I can stop right now and focus on all commercial stops and leave the residentials for later when you send 5 drivers to help me finish or I can just follow my route and see what is pending at 2145"

Their answer 90% of the time was to break off and do only commercial stops to avoid any missing then the runners would came running to get their fair share of work, by the time i was done meeting with the last guy ill had like 15-20 more stops left to do.
Gotta beat them at their own game.

Cowboy Mac

Here is your recipe for going out blind on a commercial/pickup heavy route:
1. Straight air
2. Bulk
3. Straight commercial stops
4. Pickups
5. Full hour lunch
6. Resi

Send a message every 2 hours that you will not be back to the building with your air on time and you need help with stops.