Can I win?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by UPSIE, Dec 21, 2013.

1. UPSIE

UPSIE New Member

I had a dog strike on the 5th of Dec. How do I know if I was charged with an accident? center manager said you bet your being charged , but no warning letter? I feel this was unavoidable as it was a small dog and we had ten inches of snow that day, I tried avoiding by putting in the ditch, no damage to car just caught dog with front tire. center manager said take pics , I refused as I chose not to use my cell phone. I had a safety ride 5 days later for only 20min and center manager did not come out to investigate for about six days by this time all the snow was plowed and conditions were changed. Any advice would be great. I am 5 years in and have a rural run. there are only two of us out of the building so we are really exploited sometimes for not knowing what to file on. This just doesn't feel right.

2. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

Since it is passed the disciplinary period, request to see your file. If it is in their file a grievance and win it. Game over.

3. UPSIE

UPSIE New Member

Hello Ouch, thanks for the reply. What is the disciplinary period? do I file on unavoidable or not investigating or safety ride for days? isn't it usually next day for safety ride?

4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

File on it not being timely I think.

5. UPSIE

UPSIE New Member

Thank you oldngray , I will look at my contract on disciplinary period. Do you have an idea on how much time they have to discipline? I thought I was good since I didn't get a safety ride the next day.

6. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Ask the center manager?

7. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Unless you ran over the dog on the front porch I'd fight that one.

Plus, it's noble to not use your personal cell phone EXCEPT when it will work to your advantage, duh. Next time document.

8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

In this state (NJ), there is zero liability laws regarding dogs. If they do charge you, I would sue the company and the homeowners.

9. 16tons

16tons Member

We get charged if we are on private property. Not if dog is in public roadway. Had a guy get charged with hitting a small white dog that ran over a snow bank and under his tire in a driveway. Another not get charged with a Shepard chasing the truck on road and going under read wheels.

10. Notretiredyet

Notretiredyet Active Member

Personally I don't believe hitting a dog in the street should be chargeable period. You were lucky to just end up in a ditch from swerving to avoid a dog. I'm not saying don't attempt to brake in the safest way possible for conditions to keep from hitting the dog. But if an uncontrolled animal of any type be it dog/ deer/cat or squirrel jumps on a roadway in front of my package car if I can't stop in time it's road kill.

11. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I almost hit a turkey flying across the road. Those things are large and slow. Sacred the ^%$ out of me. That would of been some call to the center manager.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. 16tons

16tons Member

I blew up a chicken once, feathers flew like a snow storm. Best call to the center I've ever made "sir,,, I'm sorry to report I've had a fatality...."

13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Whenever you think you can't win arch the scene from rocky where he's running through the streets and they're playing that song getting strong now. It always fires me up.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Except now you probably need to stop haflway up the steps to take a break and have a beer.

15. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

That's just part of the perks of getting older and better looking.

16. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Losing eyesight acuity does not make you better looking. :wink-very:

17. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

The gray hair on the sides makes you look like the silver fox though.

18. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

No problem, the safety ride Is normally the next day. I wouldnt worry about it. If its in your file I would file on it. If you didn't or haven't received discipline dont worry about it. I would want to know if its in my file or not.

19. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

If you did it on the 5th and haven't or didnt sign anything your good.

20. Tired Driver

Tired Driver Sisyphus had it easy.

Hit a Turkey Buzzard and told my supervisor the same think.