Can I withdraw ROTH 401K somehow?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah but if you did it last year it would have payed off nicely and more than offset this year. In the long run the stock market will go up not down that's why people invest in it. While in the short term there will be fluctuations and you can't predict it in the long run you will come out ahead. You can't time the market and dollar cost averaging is a way of timing the market. I'd prefer to just put the money in when i have it instead of spreading it out over a period of time.
You just explained why you should do dollar cost averaging.

Dollar cost averaging is exactly the opposite of timing the market. Putting a lump sum in is trying to time the market.

Yeah but if you did it last year it would have payed off nicely and more than offset this year. In the long run the stock market will go up not down that's why people invest in it. While in the short term there will be fluctuations and you can't predict it in the long run you will come out ahead. You can't time the market and dollar cost averaging is a way of timing the market. I'd prefer to just put the money in when i have it instead of spreading it out over a period of time.
I understand that, if you have extra money laying around it tends to disappear. But you ate probably better off loading up in the summer wgwh the market usually goes down.. buy low.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
If you have the money available and don’t have to wait til you get paid each week to buy into the market, historically you are better off putting it all in when you have it. Time in the market beats timing the market. While this year hasn’t been great you would have come out way ahead if you put a lump sum in at the beginning of this year and last year.

Yaba Daba Do

I don’t feel like looking it up right now but if you google dollar cost averaging versus lump sum investing it should bring up articles by people who have studied this.

If you have the money available and don’t have to wait til you get paid each week to buy into the market, historically you are better off putting it all in when you have it. Time in the market beats timing the market. While this year hasn’t been great you would have come out way ahead if you put a lump sum in at the beginning of this year and last year.
2007 and 2008 didn't go well either

Brownslave688

I don’t feel like looking it up right now but if you google dollar cost averaging versus lump sum investing it should bring up articles by people who have studied this.
Yeah the only difference is you can really lump sum it.

With the 35% cap you're stuck some where in the middle in no man's land.

Yaba Daba Do

Yeah the only difference is you can really lump sum it.

With the 35% cap you're stuck some where in the middle in no man's land.

That’s why I was asking if anyone knew why they do this. I don’t understand why they would put a weekly cap on it.

Yaba Daba Do

I’d rather get a buyout for the pension credits I’ve already received and have ups contribute what they now contribute to my pension to my 401k instead. It will never happen but it’s nice to dream every once in a while.

Yaba Daba Do

Employees aren't getting their monies worth either
They would be if the pension contributions went into their personal 401k, where they could control the investments, instead of a multi employer pension. The union would never let this happen but it would be much better for the individual. Correction... most individuals. There are will always be those that you have to protect from themselves, which is one of the purposes of a pension to begin with.

Brownslave688

They would be if the pension contributions went into their personal 401k, where they could control the investments, instead of a multi employer pension. The union would never let this happen but it would be much better for the individual. Correction... most individuals. There are will always be those that you have to protect from themselves, which is one of the purposes of a pension to begin with.
I 100% agree with this