Can I withdraw ROTH 401K somehow?

brown_trousers

I’d rather get a buyout for the pension credits I’ve already received and have ups contribute what they now contribute to my pension to my 401k instead. It will never happen but it’s nice to dream every once in a while.
thats what you say now, until you see what they offer you for a buyout.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
thats what you say now, until you see what they offer you for a buyout.
There are formulas for pension buyouts based on a combination of interest rates and life expectancy. I don't know exactly how it works but they aren't going to offer you something outrageous like $10k for 15 years or something like that. I have around 20-25 years before i retire so whatever they gave me, plus whatever they are currently contributing toward my pension, going into my 401k instead would grow to a lot more than i will ever get from a pension.

brown_trousers

There are formulas for pension buyouts based on a combination of interest rates and life expectancy. I don't know exactly how it works but they aren't going to offer you something outrageous like $10k for 15 years or something like that. I have around 20-25 years before i retire so whatever they gave me, plus whatever they are currently contributing toward my pension, going into my 401k instead would grow to a lot more than i will ever get from a pension.

Those formulas probably assume the pension is well funded. For a pension that is in the red, you would only recieve a fraction of that formulas value. The pension cant buy people out with money it doesnt have.

But... it would make sense to get something out of those bad pensions before they hit rock bottom

brown_trousers

And the billions of dollars the company has pumped into unsustainable pensions could be better spent in the future going towards our 401k's, healthcare, and wages.
No doubt, it makes perfect sense. But there are a bunch of stubborn old teamsters that are under the delusion that their failed pensions will make a miraculous comeback. And they would oppose the idea.

Yaba Daba Do

No doubt, it makes perfect sense. But there are a bunch of stubborn old teamsters that are under the delusion that their failed pensions will make a miraculous comeback. And they would oppose the idea.
I think the biggest opposition would be from the union itself. They would lose all that UPS money and wouldn't be able to pay the pensions of all the other companies that went out of business.

brown_trousers

I think the biggest opposition would be from the union itself. They would lose all that UPS money and wouldn't be able to pay the pensions of all the other companies that went out of business.
Why do we even participate in pensions with other businesses? How do any of these other businesses help our pension dollars. It seems like they would be more of a liability than an asset. we would be better off having a UPS only pension fund

Why do we even participate in pensions with other businesses? How do any of these other businesses help our pension dollars. It seems like they would be more of a liability than an asset. we would be better off having a UPS only pension fund
It’s a teamster thing.

It was a safety net many years ago. If one or two went out of business you would still have most of your pension. How could anyone predict that a lot of these companies wouldn't stay in business.

Yaba Daba Do

there is no upside for the largest company in a multi employer pension. We just get to foot the bill for any companies that go out of business, kind of like welfare. Yes, I guess theoretically UPS could go out of business down the road and in that case the other employers in the pension would be paying us but in reality this would never happen. There would have to be another company as big as UPS is now to take our place for everything to continue the way it is now and that wouldn't happen. The union sure likes it though because we can subsidize the less well off and this is why they will never let us out of it.

brown_trousers

there is no upside for the largest company in a multi employer pension. We just get to foot the bill for any companies that go out of business, kind of like welfare. Yes, I guess theoretically UPS could go out of business down the road and in that case the other employers in the pension would be paying us but in reality this would never happen. There would have to be another company as big as UPS is now to take our place for everything to continue the way it is now and that wouldn't happen. The union sure likes it though because we can subsidize the less well off and this is why they will never let us out of it.
We shouldnt be gambling our UPS retirement dollars with other businesses. Our retirement should not be welfare for other businesses.

crow27

I close on a group of 12 Townhouses on Friday. 4 units per townhouse.
46 of the 48 are rented.
Rent is 650 a month per unit.
29,900 in rent per month is what I will collect
31,200 when all 48 are rented.
374,400 per year when all 48 are rented.
I am writing a check for 900k.
After this acquisition my rental portfolio will be as follows.
My monthly gross rental income will be 140k.
My monthly net rental income will be 100k
1.2 million in my pocket a year.

I plan on purchasing 80 to 100 more properties this year.
For 2019 my goal is a monthly net of 250k.
An additional 175k to 200k increase per month in 2020 to 2025
By 2025 I want to net 1.25 million per month at a minimum from 900 to 1000 rental units.

If you marry a Russian and run for president when you're 70 you've got my vote!