Can the company force me to work past 14 hours?

twotwofour

I think I stumbled upon a major company loophole that UPS could use to avoid a strike.

Let's say I return to my center at 11pm July 31 after working 14 hours, but I'm told to not punch out by a manager. Do I have to keep working? Can UPS keep me in the building to sort and load/unload trailers while everyone who has punched out is on strike?
I know I need 10 hours off duty to drive, but nothing prevents UPS from working me inside the hub until the strike ends.

I think I stumbled upon a major company loophole that UPS could use to avoid a strike.

Let's say I return to my center at 11pm July 31 after working 14 hours, but I'm told to not punch out by a manager. Do I have to keep working? Can UPS keep me in the building to sort and load/unload trailers while everyone who has punched out is on strike?
I know I need 10 hours off duty to drive, but nothing prevents UPS from working me inside the hub until the strike ends.
Is this a serious question?

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Work as directed.

twotwofour

There will be no striking teamsters at 11pm on July 31st.

I guess you are asking this because you are not in the union?
I'm just trying to predict a worst case scenario, can management keep you working through July 31>Aug 1 by changing start times of that week or tell drivers to unload a trailer after they have come back to the station.
If feeders have to follow orders through July31>Aug 1, why can't they force us too?

What state do you work in?

Pullman Brown

giphy-downsized.gif

Pullman Brown

Yeah, are they offering you a bed, shower, food supplies, etc while you stay and the strike is over?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Put the drugs down

Brownwind

What local are you?

It doesn't say that, but I guess labor law may specify that.
"It's a single contract, it can only have one expiration" is how it was explained to me. A couple months ago I was talking with an ABF old-timer who I deliver to and he asked how it was going. Told him I was pretty sure we were walking and he brought it up. He said that's how they did it out here in the 80s and 90s.

To be clear, it's my presumption that it will work this way, it makes the most sense to me.