Casual Drivers Not Covered, Still Pay

MassWineGuy

It's been very slow in my center lately, but sometime soon I hope to be driving every day until January as a casual driver. I like unions, I like the Teamsters in general. But I'm sure not wild about having $500 for the initiation fee plus dues deducted from my check when I have absolutely zero coverage or representation under the contract. That's life, and so it goes. But can someone pleae explain to me how this rather sweetheart arrangement was reached between UPS and the union?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS has nothing to do with the initiation fee or union dues----these are established solely by the Teamsters and vary from local to local. For example, I pay 3 x my hourly once a month for union dues. It has been a while but I believe the initiation fees are $250.

I agree with you that the $500 is BS.

MassWineGuy

I was told by the HR person that the initiation fee was $500. I guess it could differ in different parts of the country. I know the shop steward in my center. I'll ask him about it. If and when I stop working there, I can get some document stating how much I've already paid, so if I rejoin this or another union outfit I don't start from scratch. I really dislike having to pay as a temp. and not getting any benefits. Basically, I am paying to have a job.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Although you are a casual, the union is the one who negotiated that sweet $18 (I believe, probably 20 something now) wage for you. Even if you may be temporary, you still need to pay your dues. The only ppl I would give exemptions to are the part time seasonal package handlers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm sure not wild about having $500 for the initiation fee plus dues deducted from my check when I have absolutely zero coverage or representation under the contract
You know what I'm not wild about? Paying dues every week waiting for the chance to get behind the wheel, only to have some outside hire come in and take a driving job that someone who has been busting their back for years should get. You're complaining about an initiation fee that will probably be refunded? You're making more than people who have been waiting for that job for years.....

MassWineGuy

Although you are a casual, the union is the one who negotiated that sweet $18 (I believe, probably 20 something now) wage for you. Even if you may be temporary, you still need to pay your dues. The only ppl I would give exemptions to are the part time seasonal package handlers.

Make that $16 an hour before deductions, about $11 or $12 after. Oh yes, thank you Teamsters for that. Permanent drivers earn $34 and up an hour, but you got me that sweet $16. Whoa!

If a refund of the init. fee is possible, how exactly is it done? I may as well let it ride because if things go ok I'll probably drive in the summer, too.

As for someone who's been busting their back for years waiting to drive, what's wrong with you? You're in the center and would be the first to hear about any driver openings (unless you don't know any of the drivers there). Why didn't you make your move, tell your supe or center mgr that driving is what you want to do as soon as a position opens up? Hey man, all I did was answer an ad off the UPS job search site for TEMPORARY drivers. As hard as your job is, which I'm not disputing whatsoever, you're covered under the contract. I'm not. That's a tremendous amount of money if you calculate it.

upschuck

$500 does seem a bit excessive. As I see it you have two options after peak. First ask for the refund, second get a withdrawal card from local. That way if you work at a IBT union job again init fee is red circled and won't go up, and account is credited for payments received.

As for the wage, the new contract has wage increases, that you won't get until after the supplements and riders go through. Don't know how that will work if your not working anymore.

Good luck. Maybe you'll score one of the outside hire driver jobs this next year. They take those from the seasons.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone knows outside hires are never as good as those drivers who worked their way up through the system. They have no appreciation of how hard everyone else had to work-----they just waltz in off the street and, boom, they are a driver. Who the hell do they think they are?!

UPSGUY72

Make that $16 an hour before deductions, about $11 or $12 after. Oh yes, thank you Teamsters for that. Permanent drivers earn $34 and up an hour, but you got me that sweet $16. Whoa!

FT package car driver make a little over $32 currently and it will be just under $33 when the contract gets ratified. You are a casual your lucky they hired you. FT driver start ar $16.10 and it will take 4 years to reach top rate.

If a refund of the init. fee is possible, how exactly is it done? I may as well let it ride because if things go ok I'll probably drive in the summer, too.

Ask the HR person or a steward in the building you work out of.

As for someone who's been busting their back for years waiting to drive, what's wrong with you? You're in the center and would be the first to hear about any driver openings (unless you don't know any of the drivers there). Why didn't you make your move, tell your supe or center mgr that driving is what you want to do as soon as a position opens up? Hey man, all I did was answer an ad off the UPS job search site for TEMPORARY drivers. As hard as your job is, which I'm not disputing whatsoever, you're covered under the contract. I'm not. That's a tremendous amount of money if you calculate it.

You said the key word TEMPORARY. If you want a FT job start working as a PT making $8.50 - $9.50 till a permanent FT job opens up which could be 10 years.

If you don't like the conditions of your employment in a union shop go work a non union shop.

UPSGUY72

Everyone knows outside hires are never as good as those drivers who worked their way up through the system. They have no appreciation of how hard everyone else had to work-----they just waltz in off the street and, boom, they are a driver. Who the hell do they think they are?!

We all know that it has nothing to do with being an inside or outside hire. I all has to do with your work ethics your either a worker or not. It's hard to believe that some driver made there 30 days.

MassWineGuy

I'm still waiting to work 30 days. To me, it makes more sense to get me out on the road getting used to the route and procedures BEFORE peak slams in. But my center mgr. told me that things are very light at the moment, so they're not bringing me in and that this could well mean that I'll really start in earnest during peak. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm surprised that they haven't had you on road yet. We have 5-6 new drivers and they have all been on road at least 3-4 days each week for the past few weeks. We have been lucky in that we have had one driver out on paternity leave, another on jury duty and several on vacation so no one has had to sit at home while these guys worked.

upschuck

I'm still waiting to work 30 days. To me, it makes more sense to get me out on the road getting used to the route and procedures BEFORE peak slams in. But my center mgr. told me that things are very light at the moment, so they're not bringing me in and that this could well mean that I'll really start in earnest during peak. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not UPS.

Be worried when what they do does make sense to you.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you don't like the conditions of your employment in a union shop go work a non union shop.

Yep. Fed Ex is looking for holiday temps also. No initiation fee either.

My local does not have initiation fees and we pay 2.5 times our hourly wage once a month.

UPSGUY72

My local does not have initiation fees and we pay 2.5 times our hourly wage once a month.

My initiation fee was $400 when I paid it and I pay $89 a month which works out to 2.75 my hourly wage which it well worth it for what I get in return for working in a union shop.

MAKAVELI

Through a temp agency for ground not express. Express doesn't hire temp drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Union initiation fees refund: Ask for a withdrawal card from the local union pension fund office. If by chance you are Local 25, it's 1 Wall St. in Burlington MA.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your Local Unions bylaws, determine the initiation fee. Thats why it differs between Locals.

The dues rate is set by the IBT constitution. But... those are the minimums.

2 × your hourly rate.. for those making less than $11.00 an hour.

2.5 × your hourly rate.. for those making more than $11.00 an hour.

Again.... those are the minimums.

Work a Union job.... and you will be responsible for the cost. (and attain the benefits)

-Bug-