Casual feeder, holiday feeder, feeder tractor-trailer trailer!

BigJamesBrown

Hello, I work this past year as a casual feeder driver for the holidays, and was told at the end of the season that I had made the top 10 call back list. Sure enough 4 months later (present time) I get a call from HR asking me if I still wanted the feeder position? Of course I said yes! I was then told to go on to jobs.com and redo my my application which which I did. Now in my profile was my casual feeder application and a new application for feeder tractor trailer which I think is the full-time feeder position that I am being offered?? Is there a way to tell whether or not you are actually being hired as a casual a holiday cover or a permanent feeder driver? The reason I ask is because at the Hub last year there were tons of guys that felt that they were being hired permanently only to find out in the end that they were just casual holiday drivers. Also another guy also made the top 10 list and he got in before I did, he said that are seniority date was was our original casual hire date which was last year. Any input would help this noob eventually! Thank you in advance!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Good luck.

Before you begin, verify that indeed the position is permanent. Ask management when you make book.

Your senority date most likely will be the date you start again.

P

pickup

Also another guy also made the top 10 list and he got in before I did, he said that are seniority date was was our original casual hire date which was last year. Any input would help this noob eventually! Thank you in advance!!

If this guy was hired soon after peak, then it could be true that his seniority date is his original casual date. But if a casual were to get rehired now, his seniority date would be the new hire date( assuming he works steady enough when he gets rehired).

over9five

Staff member
Sounds like we're gearing up for Summer Vacation COVER!
They lie, lie, LIE to these guys. We know they do, they ALL think they're permanent.

Good luck, OP.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hello, I work this past year as a casual feeder driver for the holidays, and was told at the end of the season that I had made the top 10 call back list. Sure enough 4 months later (present time) I get a call from HR asking me if I still wanted the feeder position? Of course I said yes! I was then told to go on to jobs.com and redo my my application which which I did. Now in my profile was my casual feeder application and a new application for feeder tractor trailer which I think is the full-time feeder position that I am being offered?? Is there a way to tell whether or not you are actually being hired as a casual a holiday cover or a permanent feeder driver? The reason I ask is because at the Hub last year there were tons of guys that felt that they were being hired permanently only to find out in the end that they were just casual holiday drivers. Also another guy also made the top 10 list and he got in before I did, he said that are seniority date was was our original casual hire date which was last year. Any input would help this noob eventually! Thank you in advance!!

You're on the call back list.
They call you mid-May if you're interested in coming back.
June 1st is the first day casual drivers are allowed.

YOU DO THE MATH

giphy.gif

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You have to be recalled within 60 days in the central region for your seniority date to be the first day worked as a seasonal.

ManInBrown

Sounds like you’re good. That’s what they do to casuals when they bring them back permanent. You have to fill out a new app for the permanent gig.

Do you know if the local you work in allows casuals to work multiple seasons or years as a casual? In the 177 you can only be a casual for 2 seasons. Summers then laid off for a week in Sept and then you come back for peak. Just from what you’re saying it sounds like you’re being brought back as a FT driver. If your profile has the casual application which you already filled out, and then a FT app I think you’re in.

Also it varies from local to local but where I am if you’re called back within a certain time of being laid off, you’re seniority date reverts back to your original hire date when you were a casual.

Congrats.

P

pickup

Sounds like you’re good. That’s what they do to casuals when they bring them back permanent. You have to fill out a new app for the permanent gig.

Do you know if the local you work in allows casuals to work multiple seasons or years as a casual? In the 177 you can only be a casual for 2 seasons. Summers then laid off for a week in Sept and then you come back for peak. Just from what you’re saying it sounds like you’re being brought back as a FT driver. If your profile has the casual application which you already filled out, and then a FT app I think you’re in.

Also it varies from local to local but where I am if you’re called back within a certain time of being laid off, you’re seniority date reverts back to your original hire date when you were a casual.

Congrats.

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that there is a summer casual period for feeders in local 177. Also, in local 177, we’ve had the same casuals work peak year after year. One guy has been through here 8 times now ,other guys 3 times.

ManInBrown

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that there is a summer casual period for feeders in local 177. Also, in local 177, we’ve had the same casuals work peak year after year. One guy has been through here 8 times now ,other guys 3 times.
Wow. That’s crazy. I know in package it’s summer, winter and then you’re done. Brought back or never to be seen again.

BigJamesBrown

Update, I just finished my production week and finish my training with the yard tractor, and I will be starting my doubles training this week, which I did not do as a casual. Me and the other guys in my class were all issued Orange safety vest showing that we were the new guys at the Hub. My rehire date is different than my casual holiday start date which was in October, now I have a start date which is in May. I do know that the local let's casuals (off the street guys) come in for multiple Seasons because I talk to a guy the other day that came in for two seasons as a casual, and then was hired full time, he's been there for 10 years now. Since coming back as a full-time higher (I now believe:thumbup:) me and the guys in my class have only driven company tractors and the yard goat, but there are other guys on the yard that have only driven rentals, and they don't have an orange vest like us Noobs. I think once I get my 30 punches I should be golden!:2guns:Thank you all for the input.:clap:I will keep you posted...

Cowanp

You have to be recalled within 60 days in the central region for your seniority date to be the first day worked as a seasonal.
Would u read my post I started September 23-19. Had 21 days before peak Was hired permanently jan 15-2020. So what would be my seniority date