Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm usually on the side of the driver but it's pretty obvious that dog wasn't doing anything wrong, even later in the video it was waging it's tail. The drivers reaction to the owner/customer is deplorable. If I was just going by what I see in this video that driver needs to be taken out of service before he hurts someone/something.

I was bit 3 weeks ago by a little ankle biting bastard. The owner pretty much denied her dog biting me until I showed her the blood running down the back of my leg. I'm 100 yards from the truck. I start walking back down the driveway and the dog is coming at me again. I calmly turn around and tell her to get your dog or its getting punted. Your choice. She chose to get her dog.

SCV good to go sir.

I feel for the driver, that's a bad situation to be in but I think he was bit overboard. Most of those little dogs will back off if you step towards them. I've held out the diad ready to backhand the little :censored2:s if they get too close. At that point, once the customer sees that you're going to defend yourself against their dog, they will finally understand the concept of "sense of urgency" and get their :censored2:ing dog. As long as you don't hit the dog, most customers are apologetic. Once you hit it, you've opened up a can of worms.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Wife and I just got in a fight over this one. I played devil's advocate and said the dog was charging at him and we couldn't tell what knowledge the driver had or didn't have...Guy is gonna lose his job for being the first to push the person in the video though.

I've stared down growling snapping pitbulls and rottweilers before and never been bitten. The two dogs that bit me were yippers like that one. Training is to put package in between you and the dog and if no package is available and worst case scenario use diad as last line of defense. If I were right next to the back of the truck like that I would have probably just jumped into the back of the truck and crouched with the diad ready to knock it into next week, but it's easy to monday morning quarterback. Also sucks you can see how friendly the dog was after the fact.

Brothers and sisters remember there are cameras all over the place now. Act as if you're always being recorded.

clean hairy

2 points.
1) he coulda used the hand truck as a barrier between himself and the dog.
2) Is there not a leash law? I thought most every city has a leash law, if so, the dog owner would be 100% accountable for this happening.

Doohickie

I've stared down growling snapping pitbulls and rottweilers before and never been bitten. The two dogs that bit me were yippers like that one. Training is to put package in between you and the dog and if no package is available and worst case scenario use diad as last line of defense. If I were right next to the back of the truck like that I would have probably just jumped into the back of the truck and crouched with the diad ready to knock it into next week, but it's easy to monday morning quarterback. Also sucks you can see how friendly the dog was after the fact.

If you watch the dog approach you can see it was friendly BEFORE the fact. Ears up, tail up, wagging. It just wanted to say hi. And if the driver was so afraid of the dog, why does he so utterly ignore it once the owner shows up? He suddenly doesn't see the dog as a threat at all even as it circles around him.

And while the owner and the driver were obviously arguing, it was the driver that clearly initiated the contact, shoving the owner.

I ride a bicycle quite a bit and this has been a rough week- I've had 5 different loose dogs come after me; one ran out between two parked cars to come after me; I didn't see it until just before it ran into my bike. Most of the owners didn't give a flip that their dog was loose and causing trouble, they just made excuses for them, almost as if it was *my* fault that they didn't properly restrain their dogs. Yes, there's a leash law in my city but I'm not going to kick a dog just because the owner is an idiot.

Just tonight a pit bull came after me and because I was going uphill I couldn't outrun it. So I got off my bike and..... let it lick me as I pet it.

This driver was a real jerk. No reason that I could see to kick the dog. Even if he claimed he was afraid it would attack, that's clearly not the case since he went on to ignore it and not see it as a threat seconds after kicking it, even though it was running all around him.