Chemah Air Drivah Rumah

brett636

As a 22.3 combo PM air driver myself I find some of the information in this thread a little unsettling. They did phase out most, if not all the EAM air driver routes in my building, and we lost a couple PM air driver routes to pickups going to another center and some that were getting a lot of ground. I won't say they can't phase out all the PM air routes as well, but I make pickups at or past 2200 along with several of our remaining PM air routes so would it be feasible to say they would force a package car driver to stay out that late? Even for a route starting at 1000 that is still a 12+ hour day. Lets not forget that our PM air routes are all done by combo employees that they would still have to find work for meaning they only save on whatever it costs them to have those extra package cars on road. I guess all I can do is hope that I have moved onto another type of job before they phase out my PM air. I haven't seen any indication in my building that they plan on doing that, but based on what I read here it is coming at some point in the future.

brett636

If you are making pickups that late then I think that route is safe but it might not be a 22.3 job forever.

The writing has long been on the wall in regards to this. As combo jobs are vacated in my building they simply do not get reposted and are re filled with 2 part timers. Again I see no reason to believe the company will just start kicking us out of our jobs and replacing us with part timers, but who knows. I think most combo employees would be wise to make an escape plan for 2013 for the possibility of more concessions regarding existing 22.3 jobs.

Also, the more I contemplate it the more unlikely I find it that the PM air operation in my building will be turned over to regular PC drivers. Every PM air route we have makes pickups atleast until 2130, and a lot of our letter box times were moved to later pickup times 2 years ago to compete with the rather large fedex air hub we have in our backyard. I won't say its impossible, but I have a hard time seeing any package car driver being expected to stay out that late every day.

Last edited:

evilleace

I completely agree I don't see them kicking you out of a job and I definitely do not see the drop boxes being picked up that late by ground drivers. There is just no feasible way to do it.

over9five

Staff member
Interesting. How many in your ctr? They were begging me not to run airs today... though I think you are talking about early AM not regular air.

I'm not sure how many we have. The air driver who does my town does EAMs and then 10:30s. FT drivers are often called in to do EAMs.

The rumour I heard said we'd be the only center with air drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm not sure how many we have. The air driver who does my town does EAMs and then 10:30s. FT drivers are often called in to do EAMs.

The rumour I heard said we'd be the only center with air drivers.

THAT surprises me. I'd figure the ctr closest to bldg would be the only one and take away the high milage ones. Too much logic? :happy-very:

air_dr

I wish I could consider this rumor squashed in my mind, but it seems like the posibility of major changes is very real.

"407 steward" said plans to cut most, if not all, air routes is national in scope. My question to 407 steward is what kind of a timeline might the company have planned, if he knows, and how serious do the plans appear to be?

Where I work, in the Midwest-Great Lakes, management has attempted to both cut air routes, as well as lay individual air drivers off on occasion, but, in short, overall, I would describe their efforts as trimming around the edges rather than an all out attempt to do away with air drivers. This trimming as well as the talk in this area of using full timers in the place of air drivers has been going on for over five years now. We have also gone for long periods where any changes to the air routes had seemed to be a dead issue.

We're closer to peak than most of us sense, does anyone think the company would make any changes before 2011, either nationally, or in any particular region, or is this whole thing perhaps some vague long range plan for like the next 10 years that may or, more likely may not, ever become a reality.

They just cut a route in my building this week and put it on a new bid route driver. From what I hear it will be hard to cut them all but ups is trying to get leaner in the cars on the road. Also I was told there will always be a need for A M air drivers but P M are going to be cut big time.

air_dr

Thank you for your response "407 steward."

When you were told "there will always be a need for AM air drivers..." do you believe that was for delivery of some of the regular next day's, or EAM's, or both.

If its only regular next day's, will AM air drivers get the chance to work in the hub before going out on the street so they can earn more than like 2 1/2 hours of pay on a given day?!?

"Shiftingcontents" said in this thread that some company-union panel decided EAM work was FT work. I looked at the June decisions of the National Air Committee on the TDU website as well as the contract language. I saw no such decision, and did not get the impression, based on my reading, that EAM's should be delivered by FT's instead of air drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

When you were told "there will always be a need for AM air drivers..." do you believe that was for delivery of some of the regular next day's, or EAM's, or both.

If its only regular next day's, will AM air drivers get the chance to work in the hub before going out on the street so they can earn more than like 2 1/2 hours of pay on a given day?!?

"Shiftingcontents" said in this thread that some company-union panel decided EAM work was FT work. I looked at the June decisions of the National Air Committee on the TDU website as well as the contract language. I saw no such decision, and did not get the impression, based on my reading, that EAM's should be delivered by FT's instead of air drivers.

Again, there are FT air drivers (myself included) so careful with the labels.

robot

Has A Large Member
If i was in package car i'd LOVE a 1000 start time. Miss most of the rush hour traffic and dont' have to worry about much nda.

brett636

They just cut a route in my building this week and put it on a new bid route driver. From what I hear it will be hard to cut them all but ups is trying to get leaner in the cars on the road. Also I was told there will always be a need for A M air drivers but P M are going to be cut big time.

It's been the exact opposite in my building. They have cut most, if not all, the AM routes and have kept the PM routes in place.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

sorry if I gave the wrong impression with what I said. It was a decision that EXTRA EAM work would be delivered by FT drivers instead of air exception. We have 22.3s that deliver our EAMs. Anything they can not deliver is delivered by FT. The center north of us has no 22.3 combo drivers therefore all of their EAMs are delivered by FT drivers.

just interested

I'm new and training on a route that begins at 9:30 am with the last pickup at 19:30. I must return to the center no later than 20:00. Is it normal to be scheduled for a 10 1/2 day? I remember HR talking about 9 1/2 hours.

BrownArmy

For the last two weeks I've punched in at 0845 and haven't punched out before 2000.

Sometimes the overtime isn't worth it...:knockedout: