Contract Approval Vote

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
There's a point of making too much money for our job though. They're people who do worse kinds of work than us who work more hours than us and make less than us. I make around $200 a month less than my dad, a master mechanic, and work 15 hours less than he does. He has to keep up on his education and take certification classes and tests all the time and I just park trucks at work and deliver on Saturdays. I'm not saying UPS isn't greedy, they are, but their job is to make money. Our job is to work for them. We have little skin in the game and sometimes some of us think we're more than we actually are. I think we are well compensated but not over payed. We're getting close to that though. I'm not mad at making $.10 less per raise so the new employees make $1.50 more an hour when they start. I'm just fine with that.

rudy5150

UPS is making $ hand over fist...record profits!!!!! UPS had no choice but to raise starting pay due to minimum wage on the rise. Dont act like the Hoffa and Hall fought hard for that!!! So our insurance is going to get worse and are pay raises wont even keep up with inflation during a period of record profits for big brown. Great job union!! Current part timers really got bent over without lube!!!! JUST VOTE NO!!!!!!!!

sortaisle

UPS is making $ hand over fist...record profits!!!!! UPS had no choice but to raise starting pay due to minimum wage on the rise. Dont act like the Hoffa and Hall fought hard for that!!! So our insurance is going to get worse and are pay raises wont even keep up with inflation during a period of record profits for big brown. Great job union!! Current part timers really got bent over without lube!!!! JUST VOTE NO!!!!!!!!
Vote no on what? The contract that hasn't been passed out yet? Add in benefits and pension payments and UPS has WORLD CLASS PAY for part timers. Seriously, if you're getting a raw deal at UPS now what the hell are you still working here for? You've done nothing but pissed and moaned about a contract that we have next to no information on. The information that's out there isn't horrible. It's like you forgot that with bene's and pension payments, pters make close to $25 an hour after one year. You've gotten a "raw deal" on your insurance but you claim you went outside of the covered doctors. That's your own damn fault for not knowing your coverage. UPS isn't a charity and it's their job to make money hand over fist. If you're right and the insurance is suppose to get worse, I'll happily mark no when it's time. It's getting really old though with you bitching about something that's not even in anyone's hands yet. And if you have it, then share it. Until then, keep your maw shut on this. I'd be happy to discuss anything else with you rather than this when you use this kind of tone.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Vote no on what? The contract that hasn't been passed out yet? Add in benefits and pension payments and UPS has WORLD CLASS PAY for part timers. Seriously, if you're getting a raw deal at UPS now what the hell are you still working here for? You've done nothing but pissed and moaned about a contract that we have next to no information on. The information that's out there isn't horrible. It's like you forgot that with bene's and pension payments, pters make close to $25 an hour after one year. You've gotten a "raw deal" on your insurance but you claim you went outside of the covered doctors. That's your own damn fault for not knowing your coverage. UPS isn't a charity and it's their job to make money hand over fist. If you're right and the insurance is suppose to get worse, I'll happily mark no when it's time. It's getting really old though with you bitching about something that's not even in anyone's hands yet. And if you have it, then share it. Until then, keep your maw shut on this. I'd be happy to discuss anything else with you rather than this when you use this kind of tone.
YOU DONT need the entire contract to VOTE NO on it. The only REAL issue at hand is our INSURANCE COVERAGE. In the WEST, the Western Conference expects us to ratify the contract WITHOUT a plan in place for replacement insurance. They expect us to pass the contract now in order to find out whats in it later. The WEST has STATED publicly, that they need 6 months to hired an actuary to figure our how much the plans will cost, how to manage them and then to create the ADMINISTRATORS to handle the insurance. WE WOULD BE GIVING THEM A BLANK CHECK to create whatever they wanted to upto and including CHARGING us for health care each month. What more do we need to see of this contract to understand that THIS ALONE kills the deal for us in the WEST? OUR INSURANCE is our ALAMO. We expect the Teamsters to FIGHT for what we have right now, and NOT to CAVE in to pressure and screw us all like they did the employees of the central states plan.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why should I vote no because of the teamsters out west? My union plan is fine. We are Teamsters. The whole should be more important then the parts.

sortaisle

I'm all for voting no if there's not fleshed out info. But I'm also not above voting yes if it's better for everyone involved. I'm almost positive that we'll be in our local union contracts.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
These negotiations always go down to the last wire. Nobody should be concerned until the last couple of weeks.

804brown

Why just jump at the first offer?? I'll vote NO. They'll have another "best and final" offer for sure

I agree UPS finally made a serious first offer. We should all see it as that and demand a better one that rewards our hard work and reflects their profits.

UPSGUY72

Who said insurance is going to get worse . It might even get better for some. I know mine isn't going to change I'm already in a teamster run health plan and it some of the best you can get that doesn't cost me a dime either for the premiums or copays.....

3216mjh

You just slapped the faces of thousands of dedicated stewards, including me. I've got a BA who's been at negotiations since last Oct, living out of a suitcase away from his family. Do you really think that's fun? Did you ever sit in on any negotiations at any level? I'd rather have an ice pick in my ear.

You can dislike this offer all you want but not recognizing the efforts of your Teamster bargaining committee is foolish. From what UPS came to the table with (more concessions than ever before in Teamster/UPS negotiating history) to what hall has T/A'ed is astounding and will pass hands down.

You and the work you do are very much appreciated, don't get me wrong. However, don't be patting hall on the back and calling his efforts "astounding" when everyone with common sense knows that UPS came to the table with the lowest offering first, knowing that they would have to come up from that. Just like you never take the first deal, they never offer the best up front. UPS came to the table with the knowledge that they would have to negotiate up so they offered very little. They are snickering at 'Ol Ken and the rest of you who think that the Union did great job. UPS is making a boat load of money - more than last year. Since there is no profit sharing anymore, why shouldn't we take some of that profit in the form of keeping what you already have and asking for a small slice of that pie for yourself? I don't get why everyone is so divided on this. UPS IS MAKING MONEY - OFF OF YOU - THE DEDICATED WORKER AND RETIREES THAT HELPED GET UPS TO WHERE THEY ARE NOW!! You shouldn't have to give up anything that you have. There is no negotiating here. You should get to keep what you have and share in the those record profits they are making if not by getting it in the form of actual raises, then by enhancing what you already have and getting a better working environment.

3216mjh

I think your NE percentage is way off. Local 25 and local 251 have amazing medical that will not be touched.

Yeah...if we have to go to the Central States medical plan, why doesn't NE? If going to the Central States medical is great enough to be put in the contract, why is it that NE plans are not being touched? It isn't fair for the small percentage of us to have to go into that plan based off of a vote coming from other teamsters that aren't already in it. If this is such a great contract, then all of us should be in the same medical plan, correct? Would you be voting it in if they were making you move to Central States? How about we all vote "NO" and send them back to the table to put us in the NE "amazing" medical plan? If you have a better medical plan, you should vote "NO" until all your brothers have the same benefits as you do. See my point? And why is it that UPS picked the Central State medical to stick us in? Why didn't they choose the plan that NE is in? Sounds like there is plenty of room for improvement for the contract. Vote "No" people.....vote "No".

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Who said insurance is going to get worse . It might even get better for some. I know mine isn't going to change I'm already in a teamster run health plan and it some of the best you can get that doesn't cost me a dime either for the premiums or copays.....

Here's a simple question for you UPSGUY.... "WHY if your union insurance is so great, do the teamsters say, that your insurance will have to be UPGRADED to match the insurance of the 140000 teamsters about to be placed into YOUR plan?" Sounds like the teamsters already know how INFERIOR the central states plan is compared to the company plans that they want to take over. YOU may think your insurance is great, but if you didn't have a "CADILLAC PLAN PPO" like the rest of us, how would you know how good your insurance is? The REAL PROBLEM for everyone, is that the TEAMSTERS want 6 months to figure out what insurance to get us and in the meantime, they want the contract ratified. That means, "WE" will be giving them a BLANK CHECK on insurance to do whatever they want, and after the contract is ratified, we will NOT have the opportunity to change anything and at that point, what choices will we have?

The Milkman

You and the work you do are very much appreciated, don't get me wrong. However, don't be patting hall on the back and calling his efforts "astounding" when everyone with common sense knows that UPS came to the table with the lowest offering first, knowing that they would have to come up from that. Just like you never take the first deal, they never offer the best up front. UPS came to the table with the knowledge that they would have to negotiate up so they offered very little. They are snickering at 'Ol Ken and the rest of you who think that the Union did great job. UPS is making a boat load of money - more than last year. Since there is no profit sharing anymore, why shouldn't we take some of that profit in the form of keeping what you already have and asking for a small slice of that pie for yourself? I don't get why everyone is so divided on this. UPS IS MAKING MONEY - OFF OF YOU - THE DEDICATED WORKER AND RETIREES THAT HELPED GET UPS TO WHERE THEY ARE NOW!! You shouldn't have to give up anything that you have. There is no negotiating here. You should get to keep what you have and share in the those record profits they are making if not by getting it in the form of actual raises, then by enhancing what you already have and getting a better working environment.

:goodpost: