Contract talks !!!!!! STRIKE !!!!!!

Power to the people. Rah, rah.

No, most here would not agree about the lost jobs, but a few would prefer losing everything over losing a little.. That is what bothers me about all the cheer leading 6 months out.

I don't agree on everything about the union. If calling me a scab because of those differing opinions makes some here feel better about themselves when they look in the mirror, that's unfortunate but have at it.

But make no mistake about it...if Aug 1st I'm told we're going on strike, I'll be out there earning my $35/week.

I'm particularly troubled by the companies turn against the part-time work force. They are destroying what once was a prized part-time job.
Part time job at UPS was a prized job. UPS could pick and choose who works here. We knew that also and tried to do a good job. Now you get what you pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey Nancy why don't you get your facts straight !!! You sound like one of them company men !!!!

I guess when you run out of facts to discuss you resort to name calling.

I find it curious that with only 8 posts you somehow know what some of the lesser-minded members call me. Could it be that you have 2 (or more) user names?

The fact of the matter is that while we do certainly earn our benefits and pensions we do not directly pay for them. Truth be told, I would rather the company give me the money they are sending to my pension directly to my 401k. The same with the healthcare---I'm sure I could find a better deal on the open market.

Lose the name-calling and try to interact like an adult.

beentheredonethat

First of all, there wont be a STRIKE...because the stock holders won't let the company to allow the union to go on strike. They will tell UPS to give the union what they want and let's go back to work.
. I think we are way to early to talk about strikes. However, I disagree that shareholders will say don't let a strike happen, give the teamsers anything they want. That's not what most shareowners, esp large mutual fund mgrs would say. They would hope for no strike but if there is one, they would want to break the union at least to point of lowering wages, dropping pensions, and increasing hw payments by employees. At least that's my opinion.

. I think we are way to early to talk about strikes. However, I disagree that shareholders will say don't let a strike happen, give the teamsers anything they want. That's not what most shareowners, esp large mutual fund mgrs would say. They would hope for no strike but if there is one, they would want to break the union at least to point of lowering wages, dropping pensions, and increasing hw payments by employees. At least that's my opinion.
If you see the mutual funds and the insiders dunping their shares,that my indicate what may happen...strike or no strike...Thats what i am keeping my eye on! Also Ive been stashing some cash for the past year! I didnt think we was going to walk in 97..BUT I WAS WRONG.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hey Nancy why don't you get your facts straight !!! You sound like one of them company men !!!!

I guess when you run out of facts to discuss you resort to name calling.

I find it curious that with only 8 posts you somehow know what some of the lesser-minded members call me. Could it be that you have 2 (or more) user names?

The fact of the matter is that while we do certainly earn our benefits and pensions we do not directly pay for them. Truth be told, I would rather the company give me the money they are sending to my pension directly to my 401k. The same with the healthcare---I'm sure I could find a better deal on the open market.

Lose the name-calling and try to interact like an adult.

Totally agree with the pension don't agree at all with the healthcare.

Re-Raise

When I was asked in 97 by some of the new drivers if I thought we were going to go on strike, I told them there is no way it would come to that. I was obviously wrong then.

We are a long way from reaching that point this time, and it would appear from the outside to be stupid on both sides to get to that point.

But sometimes people only see things from their vantage point. This could be true for the company negotiators and the Teamster negotiators. We as individuals have to be prepared to deal with their stubbornness.

I know who makes the money for this company, and I am prepared to fight for a fair contract that rewards these people, no matter what individual sacrifices I may have to make.

brown_trousers

When I was asked in 97 by some of the new drivers if I thought we were going to go on strike, I told them there is no way it would come to that. I was obviously wrong then.

We are a long way from reaching that point this time, and it would appear from the outside to be stupid on both sides to get to that point.

But sometimes people only see things from their vantage point. This could be true for the company negotiators and the Teamster negotiators. We as individuals have to be prepared to deal with their stubbornness.

I know who makes the money for this company, and I am prepared to fight for a fair contract that rewards these people, no matter what individual sacrifices I may have to make.

I agree that we may not get everything we want. But if sacrifices are to be made, they better be sacrifices on EVERYONES part. That means management, union members, UPS executives, and definitely the shareholders dividends. I wont stand for us being the only group that has to give concessions on what we already have. If we are the only one asked to make concessions, I will vote to strike!

Re-Raise

I agree that we may not get everything we want. But if sacrifices are to be made, they better be sacrifices on EVERYONES part. That means management, union members, UPS executives, and definitely the shareholders dividends. I wont stand for us being the only group that has to give concessions on what we already have. If we are the only one asked to make concessions, I will vote to strike!

You may have misunderstood me. The indivdiual sacrifices I alluded to referred to the time we might have to spend on the picket line to fight for a fair contract.

beentheredonethat

Well if it makes you feel better, mgmt has been paying for a portion of their HW benefits for years now. We had a year with no raise. Keep if mind as far as shareholders. Look at the link here. Teamsters themselves invest in many companies. I don't know exactly how much if any the teamsters have in UPS itself. But those dividends go to many different investors. Including funds that invest in teamster plans, and other union plans. Also, in many folks 401K funds. It's not just the top 1% that those dividends go to. Teamsters Invest Heavily in Private Equity

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Why are you arguing with moreluck? She hasnt the first clue about UPS, its operations, its pay structures, its corporate pay rates, or any other factors relating to negotiations??

What you and everyone else should be focusing on is protecting yourself and your family from a potential work stoppage. This debating about scott davis is useless. We all understand he makes way too much money as compared to his employees.

If anyone just wanders through the next 5 months as if this is a "business as usual" negotiations and it will be done by July 31st, then you will suffer those consequences when they hit you.

The rest of us need to plan, drivers- find something, a part time job on your route in the pm so you can walk the line in the am, or find a part time job in the am so you can walk the line in the pm. Part timers, find another opportunity for work in the am, or speak to your drivers and see if there is anything on their routes that will hire your temporarily.

Save money. Work as many hours as you can leading up July. LAY DOWN two weeks vacation before july, then work those two weeks and bank that money. MAKE UPS PAY FOR ITS OWN STRIKE.

My center drivers have layed down two weeks just for the sole purpose of "cashing" them in by working those weeks and putting that money in the bank.

I have prepared my crew for this event, and they are taking it seriously. Nobody is talking about scott davis or anyone else. That debate is useless.

The Teamsters are digging in, the company is digging in. YOU SHOULD AS WELL.

Peace

TOS
I love Mo she is a nice if not classy person and I respect her opinion.That doesn't mean we can't have a difference of opinion on certain topics.I do not even blame our immediate supervisors for the piece of horse dung offer that is on the table . It comes from the inner circle and Davis is at the top with his head in the sand or any where else that would come to mind.

pretzel_man

First of all, I think drivers are worth every penny and should remain well paid and the highest paid in the industry.

I hope (and fully expect) a contract that both sides agree to.

But....

People here can rattle sabres about a strike all you like. Its no different than an ignorant manager talking about firing employees over stupid issues.

Here are a few facts......

In 2001, FedEx ground delivered 1.5 million packages per day. They now deliver over 4 million packages per day. That is 2.5 million additional packages. That's 267% more than 2001.

In 2001 UPS ground (U.S) delivered 10.3 million packages per day. Now it is 11 million packages per day. That's 700 thousand additional packages. That's 6.7% more than 2001.

Fedex has grown their ground business by 1.8 millon packages per day more than UPS has in the same time period.

How many union jobs have been lost?

By the way, in 2001 there were 16 millon union members in the united states. Now there are 14.4 million union members. A loss of 1.6 million union members.

I'm sure that representatives from UPS and the Teamsters understand the situation. Both sides know what's at stake.

Best of luck to you.

babboo25

Banned
UPS asked to negotiate early, not the Teamsters. Id rather get harassed daily then pay for insurance. UPS will back off the insurance demands, Full timers will not see much of a raise, which is fine with me. Part Time pay will get bumped to $10.50, and we will have this same conversation in 5 years.

Overpaid Union Thug

First of all, I think drivers are worth every penny and should remain well paid and the highest paid in the industry.

I hope (and fully expect) a contract that both sides agree to.

But....

People here can rattle sabres about a strike all you like. Its no different than an ignorant manager talking about firing employees over stupid issues.

Here are a few facts......

In 2001, FedEx ground delivered 1.5 million packages per day. They now deliver over 4 million packages per day. That is 2.5 million additional packages. That's 267% more than 2001.

In 2001 UPS ground (U.S) delivered 10.3 million packages per day. Now it is 11 million packages per day. That's 700 thousand additional packages. That's 6.7% more than 2001.

Fedex has grown their ground business by 1.8 millon packages per day more than UPS has in the same time period.

How many union jobs have been lost?

By the way, in 2001 there were 16 millon union members in the united states. Now there are 14.4 million union members. A loss of 1.6 million union members.

I'm sure that representatives from UPS and the Teamsters understand the situation. Both sides know what's at stake.

Best of luck to you.

Funny how all this as happened despite all UPS has done to add and improve technology. As stops per car at UPS has increased so has FedEx Ground's grab of our accounts.

Hey upstatenyupser !! we work for everything that we get !!! And this Being another profile sorry it is my own profile !!!!! I've just done a lot of reading on here Over the years and it seems like your company man !!! Not trying to insult you or anything just calling it like I see it !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, I enjoy being called Nancy. Not.

We do work for all that we earn but we do not pay for our benefits or pension contributions. Those are provided by the company per the NMA.