Conveyor Accident?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My prayers go out to this poor guy. We had a similar situation back in a Boston building about 20 yrs ago before lock out procedures. At the time the motor & gears that pull the belt had a cage door but no lock on it as they do today! This young kid from the primary reached in to grab a NDA Ltr and it sucked up his sleeve & turned hand into hamburgh.It was an aweful site.As I remember a girl walked by and fainted & she to was rushed to Mass General Hospital also. I heard they saved the hand but will have permanent nerve damage.Lucky in Boston we have the greatest hospitals & surgeons in the country.

This happened in Norwood MA building maybe 5 years ago. I was working preload at the time about 50 feet away. Same incident?

browned out

Hope he pulls thru. Things we work around or with all day can and do injure UPSers everyday. When I worked as a night sort as a primary sorter I was working at the last bay: door 72 in the hub; everyone else was at least 6 or 7 doors down. With the extendos, multiple belts and other hub noises it was difficult to here anything. I heard a frantic scream for help; one of our full time sups foot was stuck in between the belts where they changed direction when he was riding them out like they used to ( or still do; I don't know; we used to say; you only can be on a moving belt if your tie is wide enough or else your fired) Sorry for the rambling. Anyhow It was my sup, his face was purple. His ankle and lower leg were only torn ligaments, still very scary to see. Hit the stop button to halt the belts and the building. Sup was very relieved, and on crutches for months.

God bless.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
This happened in Norwood MA building maybe 5 years ago. I was working preload at the time about 50 feet away. Same incident?
Back in early 80's in Watertown, a sup got caught between the carousel and the discharge slide, lost one leg, needed over 300 stitches for the other leg. Very messy sight.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
is it just me, or is there a trend to these accidents? please note, the majority are management?

getting pulled into a piece of equipment is worse than a tragedy, it is a horror story of epic proportions. and from personal experience, seeing parts of your body that are no longer attached............

1, we need to keep the guy in our prayers

2, each one of us needs to climb all over those that dont follow the conveyor rules.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is awful. I misread covemasters post, thought he was talking about recently. In the Norwood case, from what I remember, a supervisor was getting a letter out of the trap...well his shirt was caught and his hand/arm pulled into the belt system.