Tier 3 accident?

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
385d7a1c11997db7e5ecdee0a253f459.jpg
That'll buff out, no problem.

Trucker Clock

“A center is charged $62,355 for a tier 3 accident”
What does that even mean charged to who? They can’t order any more delivery notices? Does it come out
of the bosses check?
Never understood this

I never understood it either. All the money comes from Atlanta.

But, each center now runs like it’s own business. They have an operating budget.

But yes, if they “run out of money,” life still goes on. It just makes the center manager look bad that he can’t run his own business and keep it in the black.

Trucker Clock

Backing accidents are not tier 3. I believe they are tier 1.

Going off my memory, tier 3s are "hit other in rear", "intersection accidents", "head on collisions", "hit a pedestrian".

If that’s the case, then this center manager really doesn’t know what he is doing.

Charging him with a tier 3 and trying to fire him just from a citation. Where in the hell do they get these people from?

They don’t know their asss from a hole in the ground, yet they’re put in charge of a center.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS is "self-insured" through Liberty Mutual. I have never understood exactly how that works, but I know accidents affect the Center Manager's operating budget. My old Center had about nine accidents a year planned in it's budget. We were having a least one a week for a while and I know my manager was sweating big time over that. Frankly, I don't know how he kept his job. I busted a side mirror in a long driveway one day and he drove out and replaced it himself. I think a Tier 1 like a side mirror costs a Center something like $6000 if it is called into Liberty Mutual. The shop buys them in bulk and has a case of them at all times.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Where I’m at, if you get into an accident and they let you continue driving, you don’t get fired, period. Here, if they want to take you out of service, they have to do it immediately. No finishing your route or moving your truck.

And that makes complete sense, because if you’re so dangerous that they want to fire you, they don’t put you back on the road to finish the day. From their perspective, if you’re a liability, then you need to be removed from service.

Sounds like your :censored2: manager was too stupid to realize that. He would be :censored2: out of luck here. Here, you would certainly get a warning letter and a safety ride, but you would miss zero time.

Trucker Clock

Where I’m at, if you get into an accident and they let you continue driving, you don’t get fired, period. Here, if they want to take you out of service, they have to do it immediately. No finishing your route or moving your truck.

And that makes complete sense, because if you’re so dangerous that they want to fire you, they don’t put you back on the road to finish the day. From their perspective, if you’re a liability, then you need to be removed from service.

Same here. We've had a few put back almost right away because of this. It's usually after a new center manager comes in.

"We're going to fire you for that accident you just got into, but we need you to finish your route first."

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
UPS is "self-insured" through Liberty Mutual. I have never understood exactly how that works, but I know accidents affect the Center Manager's operating budget. My old Center had about nine accidents a year planned in it's budget. We were having a least one a week for a while and I know my manager was sweating big time over that. Frankly, I don't know how he kept his job. I busted a side mirror in a long driveway one day and he drove out and replaced it himself once. I think a Tier 1 like a side mirror costs a Center something like $6000 if it is called in to Liberty Mutual. The shop buys them in bulk and has a case of them at all times.

You broke it.... while adjusting it.... right ?

:biggrin:

Trucker Clock

Then you said this, where it didn't mention a citation.

1. Bodily injury requiring immediate treatment aaay from the scene.

2. Damage requiring at least one of the vehicles to be towed.

3. An accident involving an aircraft.

4. A fatality.

None of these apply to you. Enjoy your paid vacation. But, file a timely grievance and talk to your BA.

You didn't read my post. You took one part from it but left out the other part and said I was wrong. Here is what I said, including the relevant part in bold.

File a grievance and get in touch with your BA.

Your center manager wanted you to get a ticket so that he could fire you. If you did not receive a citation, your center manager was pretty much SOL.

And yes, you can be terminated for an accident. But it has to be recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

According to Article 18 of the NMUPSA, a serious accident is one that a citation is issued, which it was, but at least one of four other factors must be met.

4. A fatality.

None of these apply to you. Enjoy your paid vacation. But, file a timely grievance and talk to your BA.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

4. A fatality.

You didn't read my post. You took one part from it but left out the other part and said I was wrong. Here is what I said, including the relevant part in bold.

The incident doesn't meet the criteria of a serious accident.

A serious accident is defined as one in which:

1. There is a fatality, or;

2. A citation is issued and there is bodily injury to a person who, as a result of the injury, receives immediate medical treatment away from the scene of the accident, or;

3. A citation is issued and one or more motor vehicles incur disabling damage as a result of the accident requiring a vehicle to be transported away from the scene by a tow truck or other vehicle, or:

4. Any vehicular contact with an aircraft which results in damage that grounds such aircraft, or;

5. There is an accident involving a motor vehicle on Company property, outside of any building, that results in a fatality or bodily injury to a person, who as a result of the injury receives medical treatment away from the scene of the accident.

542thruNthru

File a grievance and get in touch with your BA.

Your center manager wanted you to get a ticket so that he could fire you. If you did not receive a citation, your center manager was pretty much SOL.

And yes, you can be terminated for an accident. But it has to be recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

According to Article 18 of the NMUPSA, a serious accident is one that a citation is issued, which it was, but at least one of four other factors must be met.

4. A fatality.

4. A fatality.

You said it and now you're back peddling. Like I said, I'm sure you knew what you meant but you misspoke. You can keep posting the language over and over and over but you said....

"Your center manager wanted you to get a ticket so that he could fire you. If you did not receive a citation, your center manager was pretty much SOL."

Even with it he was SOL.