Cool, got the Feeder call

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just got the call to go feeder. HR says class will start in August or September. In package im scheduled for vacation the last week of September. Already paid for a trip to Hawaii with the girlfriend (hopefully fiancee when I come back). My question is if I go feeder do I keep that vacation? I know I bid as a feeder driver once I get there but Im crossing my fingers I keep my package vaca till the end of the year. Working in Oregon if that helps any. Thanks!

Lets start with your question.

If your feeder class is completed and you graduated before the start of this planned vacation, then you would keep it. On the other hand, if this vacation falls in the second week of class, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE IT, unless you drop your feeder training and go back onto the list. You cannot delay the training or take time off while in training.

If you completed your training, then your vacation started, it would be no big deal as you would have been sent back to package anyways until Peak Started in your area.

Also, weeks taken in NOVEMBER/DECEMBER would NOT BE HONORED in feeder. Those weeks, regardless of when you scheduled them would have no priority in feeder. IF you have such weeks, you may consider changing them now and using the time.

Lastly, remember, your first week of feeder school is UNPAID. You will need to have ONE week of vacation in the bank to cover your first week of training otherwise that week will go UNPAID. If you go UNPAID for the week and you are in the new west healthcare plan, your insurance will get CANCELLED if you dont have at least 1 hour of compensatible hours for that week.

Its really stupid, but its the new rules for the wonderful healthcare plan we got stuck with in the west.

The feeder training is only paid by the company for the second week by agreement between the Teamsters and UPS.

If the vacation in september is your last week of eligible vacation for the year, you may consider cancelling your trip and using it for your first week of training otherwise there could be consequences.

The following year, you would most likely select vacation from your package center as you will get kicked back in the begining of the year and no telling how long you will remain there until you are recalled into the feeder group you are assigned to. If you are lucky enough to remain in feeder the following year from the start, you will then select vacation in feeder but you will select last and the premium months will all be most likely closed by the time you choose. The only drag is when you get sent back and chose in package and then go back to feeder, feeder never wants to honor those weeks.

It blows going back to the bottom of the vacation selection list in feeder, but its a small sacrifice to get out of package.

TOS.

EasyTrucker

We had 2 people go on vacation during second week of training. Mgmt couldn't do production rides on all 8 of us at same time anyway, and since the 2 on vacation were the 2 senior, they just bumped 2 of us junior guys up to do production right away and the senior drivers did their production ride when they got back from vacation. No harm, no foul!

govols019

You smell that?
I went to feeders class in the middle of the year and my vacations were honored for the rest of the year. One of which, was in November.

Here, if you are feeder qualified you pick vacations off the feeder list.

Geo926

Also consider a larger wallet. And maybe some of those teeth whitener strips to make that smile shine. And some tissues to wipe the tears of laughter as you watch the delivery guys suffer. And a pillow to enjoy the long naps. I think you get the point. Real men are in the feeder department. The rest pretend that it isn't for them.

Eeeeeasy there killer

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The following year, you would most likely select vacation from your package center as you will get kicked back in the begining of the year and no telling how long you will remain there until you are recalled into the feeder group you are assigned to. If you are lucky enough to remain in feeder the following year from the start, you will then select vacation in feeder but you will select last and the premium months will all be most likely closed by the time you choose. The only drag is when you get sent back and chose in package and then go back to feeder, feeder never wants to honor those weeks.

It blows going back to the bottom of the vacation selection list in feeder, but its a small sacrifice to get out of package.

TOS.

Wrong. Once you qualify, regardless of if you took your seniority in feeders, you bid vacations in feeders. Otherwise you'd have guys bidding vacation on package after being trained in feeders to sneak a summer vacation

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wrong. Once you qualify, regardless of if you took your seniority in feeders, you bid vacations in feeders. Otherwise you'd have guys bidding vacation on package after being trained in feeders to sneak a summer vacation

Hey Genius, I went into feeder in september of 2013. Ive been sent back to package twice, once in 2014 and now in 2015. I made my vacation selections in package so far and only if I am pulled back during the summer months will those weeks NOT be honored.

Because we are in the bottom 100, we will most likely be unable to take a summer vacation in feeder, so we have to take our weeks early while we are still in package.

Vacation weeks are ASSIGNED to the center you are working in. I cant bid on vacation in feeder in january since the feeder bid doesnt start until march. Being in package in january, february during vacation selection period puts us in package.

Dont try to sound more intelligent than you are. Its laughable.

TOS.

Johney

Hey Genius, I went into feeder in september of 2013. Ive been sent back to package twice, once in 2014 and now in 2015. I made my vacation selections in package so far and only if I am pulled back during the summer months will those weeks NOT be honored.

Because we are in the bottom 100, we will most likely be unable to take a summer vacation in feeder, so we have to take our weeks early while we are still in package.

Vacation weeks are ASSIGNED to the center you are working in. I cant bid on vacation in feeder in january since the feeder bid doesnt start until march. Being in package in january, february during vacation selection period puts us in package.

TOS.
We pick our vacation from feeders whether in full-time or on the cover list. Even if you go back to package all year you still must pick from feeders.

You are the one who is laughable. I just don't think you see that like the rest of us.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not here. You only bid vacations in feeders if you have a feeder bid. If you are feeder qualified in packages at the time of the vacation selection, you select vacations in packages.

If you subsequently bid into feeders, you bring your vacations with you for the weeks you already selected.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not here. You only bid vacations in feeders if you have a feeder bid. If you are feeder qualified in packages at the time of the vacation selection, you select vacations in packages.

If you subsequently bid into feeders, you bring your vacations with you for the weeks you already selected.

So you're telling me a junior man qualified in feeders can bit the primo weeks in spring and summer in delivery "where he seldom works" and still have feeders honor that? Lol.

Not here. I wonder if I could get that ball rolling

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

TOS.

Hey "genius" they must keep sending you back cause you're such a great delivery driver lol.

I stated it for where I am, I couldn't care any less about how it affects you.

In our local, the instant you become feeder qualified, you bid with the big boys. They honor whatever vacation you have for the rest of the year, no matter what. If your delivery center allowed it, so will feeders.

It prevents low seniority drivers from getting prime weeks off.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Exactly. There are obvious differences in riders in different areas.

Some people still think the rules are "uniform" across the country.

TOS.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Also consider a larger wallet. And maybe some of those teeth whitener strips to make that smile shine. And some tissues to wipe the tears of laughter as you watch the delivery guys suffer. And a pillow to enjoy the long naps. I think you get the point. Real men are in the feeder department. The rest pretend that it isn't for them.
I'd rather go I to management than become a vampire feeder driver. Not for me..

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'd rather go I to management than become a vampire feeder driver. Not for me..
Initially, I thought the same thing. I had an area you could retire on. Matter of fact, I passed on feeders the first go around. It took several years for it to come around again. The company changed the allowances on my area. I went from running a half hour under to an hour over everyday. It was the best decision I ever made. It definitely extended my career. Think twice before you badmouth probably the best job this company has to offer.

Johney

Initially, I thought the same thing. I had an area you could retire on. Matter of fact, I passed on feeders the first go around. It took several years for it to come around again. The company changed the allowances on my area. I went from running a half hour under to an hour over everyday. It was the best decision I ever made. It definitely extended my career. Think twice before you badmouth probably the best job this company has to offer.
Definitely true for hourlies but, our LP guy seems to have a pretty good gig.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if I were you I would either reschedule that trip or cancel. with feeder you will be able to have a trip like that every year and your body wont slowly break down as fast.

you'll gain a few pounds, though.

"get the big picture".............in your decision.

Nevermore1

Lets start with your question.

If your feeder class is completed and you graduated before the start of this planned vacation, then you would keep it. On the other hand, if this vacation falls in the second week of class, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE IT, unless you drop your feeder training and go back onto the list. You cannot delay the training or take time off while in training.

If you completed your training, then your vacation started, it would be no big deal as you would have been sent back to package anyways until Peak Started in your area.

Also, weeks taken in NOVEMBER/DECEMBER would NOT BE HONORED in feeder. Those weeks, regardless of when you scheduled them would have no priority in feeder. IF you have such weeks, you may consider changing them now and using the time.

Lastly, remember, your first week of feeder school is UNPAID. You will need to have ONE week of vacation in the bank to cover your first week of training otherwise that week will go UNPAID. If you go UNPAID for the week and you are in the new west healthcare plan, your insurance will get CANCELLED if you dont have at least 1 hour of compensatible hours for that week.

Its really stupid, but its the new rules for the wonderful healthcare plan we got stuck with in the west.

The feeder training is only paid by the company for the second week by agreement between the Teamsters and UPS.

If the vacation in september is your last week of eligible vacation for the year, you may consider cancelling your trip and using it for your first week of training otherwise there could be consequences.

TOS.
As for having one week vacation saved so you get pay for the first week of Feeder training that's not true (at least for some areas unless it's changed recently). When my husband went to Feeder training he asked if he could use the pay for a weeks vacation to cover us for that week of unpaid training and upper management said it was not allowed. His direct supe tried to do it for him and UPS said he couldn't use vacation or option days for those days and had to go unpaid. Some areas may allow it and that's great, if they do I wish all areas would allow it.