Coolest Neighborhood in the World

vantexan

This was just made by an American woman in Mexico. Just an insight into how while there is definitely poverty in developing countries there's also pockets of prosperity with pretty good lifestyles. Not trying to sell you on the idea of moving there, but just showing that we tend to make assumptions about other countries that often are far from reality.

Thebrownblob

This was just made by an American woman in Mexico. Just an insight into how while there is definitely poverty in developing countries there's also pockets of prosperity with pretty good lifestyles. Not trying to sell you on the idea of moving there, but just showing that we tend to make assumptions about other countries that often are far from reality.

Several neighbors in our neighborhood moved to Central America after they retired bought nice homes and lived very comfortable. Costa Rica to be exact.

bacha29

Named the coolest neighbor hood by WHO? Fine if you've got some money and freely willing to capitalize for your own benefit on those impoverished conditions And why is it soo cheap? So much of the population living in poverty surviving on pennies. And here you are screaming your head off about the flood of illegals. The four main reasons for them to be there are drought, gang violence, poverty and over population. And here you are featuring the handful of small pockets of modest prosperity that do not in any way represent the overall conditions down there.

Thebrownblob

Named the coolest neighbor hood by WHO? Fine if you've got some money and freely willing to capitalize for your own benefit on those impoverished conditions And why is it soo cheap? So much of the population living in poverty surviving on pennies. And here you are screaming your head off about the flood of illegals. The four main reasons for them to be there are drought, gang violence, poverty and over population. And here you are featuring the handful of small pockets of modest prosperity that do not in any way represent the overall conditions down there.
Well, actually, it’s the number 2 Best Place retire abroad. So maybe you’re just not sure what you’re talking about.

Box Ox

Well, actually, it’s the number 2 Best Place retire abroad. So maybe you’re just not sure what you’re talking about.

The narrative that certain countries are complete :censored2:holes must be maintained for political purposes.

vantexan

You have no idea what you're talking about. Mexico has about a 40% poverty rate. That means 60% of the population varies from getting by ok to are extremely wealthy. I've lived in middle class neighborhoods and upper middle class neighborhoods there and life is just fine. There's obviously not as much wealth as in the U.S. but judging by the traffic a lot of people have cars. They have cable and satellite tv and internet including fiber optic internet in better neighborhoods. Mexico is very industrialized these days and more and more manufacturing is being moved there from China. One city, Queretero, has become the Silicon Valley of Mexico and has a high quality of life there that you'd be shocked to find.

bacha29

You have no idea what you're talking about. Mexico has about a 40% poverty rate. That means 60% of the population varies from getting by ok to are extremely wealthy. I've lived in middle class neighborhoods and upper middle class neighborhoods there and life is just fine. There's obviously not as much wealth as in the U.S. but judging by the traffic a lot of people have cars. They have cable and satellite tv and internet including fiber optic internet in better neighborhoods. Mexico is very industrialized these days and more and more manufacturing is being moved there from China. One city, Queretero, has become the Silicon Valley of Mexico and has a high quality of life there that you'd be shocked to find.
Then why are you always griping about the illegals at the US border if things are so fine south of the border. They claim that they need jobs and come to the US to get them then why would they do that if they can get them in Mexico if they are as plentiful as you claim?

Thebrownblob

Then why are you always griping about the illegals at the US border if things are so fine south of the border. They claim that they need jobs and come to the US to get them then why would they do that if they can get them in Mexico if they are as plentiful as you claim?
I don’t claim to know everything about Mexico, but I’m gonna guess it’s because Mexico government is not as silly as ours just giving things away for free. Most of the people crossing the border know they’re going to get all kinds of free goodies.

bacha29

I don’t claim to know everything about Mexico, but I’m gonna guess it’s because Mexico government is not as silly as ours just giving things away for free. Most of the people crossing the border know they’re going to get all kinds of free goodies.
Perhaps it's because Mexico doesn't want them knowing that the real problem is overpopulation in the nations to it's south.

vantexan

Did they go down there to alleviate the poverty.....or just to take advantage of it for their own benefit?
Surely you're familiar with Costa Rica? They had a forward thinking president who was educated at Harvard if I remember right. He made the national police force the national defense force too instead of sinking all the country's money into a military as the dictatorships that surrounded him were known to do. Spent money on projects to lift up the poor. They've got a decent quality of life there with great beaches and national parks too. Costa Rica has a central plateau that sits at about 4500' that gives it one of the world's best climates. If anything it's a victim of its own success as it has attracted too many foreigners from around the world who've made it the most expensive country in Latin America.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

If retirement was their sole objective then why wasn't the US good enough?
I’m certain the answer is different for everyone. Some people would be location. Some people would be cost of living. And in general, it’s none of my business.

vantexan

If retirement was their sole objective then why wasn't the US good enough?
It's too expensive for many retirees. May I ask you why do you find it acceptable to let millions in without vetting them but are against Americans getting residency in other countries which requires a lot of red tape to stay there long term?

Thebrownblob

It's too expensive for many retirees. May I ask you why do you find it acceptable to let millions in without vetting them but are against Americans getting residency in other countries which requires a lot of red tape to stay there long term?
Yep my postal worker neighbor, who retired, worked on getting his residency in Costa Rica for almost a year, I remember making the joke. Why don’t you just go there without asking he said yeah, you’ll be in jail the next day.

vantexan

Did you not notice the 40% poverty rate? And Mexico doesn't have the welfare benefits we do. If you're dirt poor there you work at whatever you can find and subsist on rice, beans, peppers, corn tortillas and a little meat once in awhile.

Thebrownblob

Perhaps it's because Mexico doesn't want them knowing that the real problem is overpopulation in the nations to it's south.
Yes, I’m sure that’s what it is. L O L.🙄 you definitely come off as someone has never been anywhere but right here in the USA. Pretty much why we’re disliked all around the world. Arrogance and ignorance is what they think of us.