Coolest Neighborhood in the World

vantexan

Yep my postal worker neighbor, who retired, worked on getting his residency in Costa Rica for almost a year, I remember making the joke. Why don’t you just go there without asking he said yeah, you’ll be in jail the next day.
Amazing how they take it much more seriously than we do. The only country I know of that's pretty lax is Argentina.

vantexan

Try crossing into Mexico illegally you will not be pleased with the outcome.
Mexico used to automatically give 6 months on a tourist card. Many Americans just made border runs to renew their tourist card instead of getting residency. They stopped that last year but I hear they may be allowing it again.

bacha29

Surely you're familiar with Costa Rica? They had a forward thinking president who was educated at Harvard if I remember right. He made the national police force the national defense force too instead of sinking all the country's money into a military as the dictatorships that surrounded him were known to do. Spent money on projects to lift up the poor. They've got a decent quality of life there with great beaches and national parks too. Costa Rica has a central plateau that sits at about 4500' that gives it one of the world's best climates. If anything it's a victim of its own success as it has attracted too many foreigners from around the world who've made it the most expensive country in Latin America.
Since you are the renowned economist and foremost authority on Latin American economies tell us all about what's going on standard of living wise is countries such as El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua or nations further south. If things are as good as you want us to believe give us your highly qualified assessment of conditions in those nations.

vantexan

Since you are the renowned economist and foremost authority on Latin American economies tell us all about what's going on standard of living wise is countries such as El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua or nations further south. If things are as good as you want us to believe give us your highly qualified assessment of conditions in those nations.
I do know there's a suburb of San Salvador that's pretty close to living in the U.S. lifestyle wise. Where the Salvador elite live. I also know their current president has greatly reduced crime in El Salvador. I know that Roatan is a fairly large island off the coast of Honduras that's primarily English speaking. But we weren't talking about these countries. We spoke of Mexico and Costa Rica. By the way there's a popular expat town in northern Panama called Boquete where you don't even need Spanish. What would you like to know specifically?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I do know there's a suburb of San Salvador that's pretty close to living in the U.S. lifestyle wise. Where the Salvador elite live. I also know their current president has greatly reduced crime in El Salvador. I know that Roatan is a fairly large island off the coast of Honduras that's primarily English speaking. But we weren't talking about these countries. We spoke of Mexico and Costa Rica. By the way there's a popular expat town in northern Panama called Boquete where you don't even need Spanish. What would you like to know specifically?
Well, except for this...

Thebrownblob

Well, except for this...
“The state of emergency has not only allowed the suspension of constitutional guarantees but has also eliminated legal controls over administrative processes for the use of public funds and state contracts and the right of access to public information. In other words, it has fostered a lack of transparency and accountability in the management of public resources. “

Sounds a lot like here to L O L

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member

That’s a very small part of El Salvador. the USA played a big part in that country deterioration though.

vantexan

That’s a very small part of El Salvador. the USA played a big part in that country deterioration though.
El Salvador has come a long way in recent years thanks to a president who isn't soft on crime. We could take weeks discussing all the countries in Central America. There's no neat little pkg tied up in a bow which Bacha seems to want. But the idea that everyone is living in shacks without plumbing or electricity only applies to a minority of the population to varying degrees depending on the country.

vantexan

Well, except for this...
Their president has gotten a lot of flak for pushing Bitcoin.

rickyb

This was just made by an American woman in Mexico. Just an insight into how while there is definitely poverty in developing countries there's also pockets of prosperity with pretty good lifestyles. Not trying to sell you on the idea of moving there, but just showing that we tend to make assumptions about other countries that often are far from reality.

we tend to make assumptions about america that often are far from reality.

we tend to make assumptions that often are far from reality.

rickyb

El Salvador has come a long way in recent years thanks to a president who isn't soft on crime. We could take weeks discussing all the countries in Central America. There's no neat little pkg tied up in a bow which Bacha seems to want. But the idea that everyone is living in shacks without plumbing or electricity only applies to a minority of the population to varying degrees depending on the country.
when capitalist backed civilization collapses, they will be living in shacks once again