Covering a route

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by cody wilkes, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Fiveoh

Fiveoh New Member

A driver is on vacation and I am a FT driver that wants to cover his route but another FT driver that has a bid route and more seniority wants it also. Who gets to run it?

2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

What is past practice in the building?

3. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

If he has a bid route then he should deliver his route. If he wanted to bid routes that were open because of vacation then he should have stayed a cover driver.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Bid route drivers run their route, period. File on it if he comes off and violates seniority of any driver not holding a bid route.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Savvy412

Savvy412 Active Member

I heard you can't
    Come off a bid for
    More
    Then 5 days

6. Brown Down

Brown Down Member

Bid driver should not be coming off his route period. But we all know how deals are made with a select few.

7. billerz

billerz Active Member

You should be one who gets it. The only reason he should come off his bid route is in the case of an emergency, i.e. There is no one that knows a route and they have no one that can train someone that day. But that would still only be for that day, at my center we bid the vacation routes for the week.

8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Who ever cries the most in my center.

In reality, if you have more seniority, you should have the right to come off the route and cover it.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Cody did not specify but it sounds like he is a FT cover driver while the other is a FT bid driver. The cover driver should get the route over the bid driver who already has his own route.

10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Bid drivers don't cover routes period.

11. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

We got bid drivers that come off all the time.

12. UPSjedi41

UPSjedi41 Member

It would be my understanding he could bump you only if his permanent bid route was cut got the day.

13. UPSER110

UPSER110 Active Member

Exact reason why I went back to cover this year... bid a route last year that was only in 3 days a week a majority of the year. I couldn't bid to cover vacations b/c I had a bid route.

14. Fiveoh

Fiveoh New Member

Ok thanks guys. ... I thought I should get but wasn't sure.

15. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Winner! Bid guy needs to be on his route.

16. tacken

tacken Active Member

Gumby

17. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

That is an easy grievance.

18. johnny_hotdog

johnny_hotdog Member

Depends on past practices at your center. This happens all the time at my center. We had a new center manager come in and didnt like it so he tried to stop it, it went to panel and he lost. Past practices wins out.