Customers wanting to open packages before signing.

QualityLoads

Had a customer at a mechanic shop last week. Before signing for his package he started opening the box. I told him that he can't open packages until signing for it. He then gave me a sad story about how DHL shipped him a damaged part. I told him respectfully that I have to call my supervisor before boxes start opening without a signature. The supervisor gave me the go ahead to let the customer open boxes. After about 10 minutes of the cosignee b.s.ing me and attending his customers he finally opens the box. He takes his sweet time inspecting every single detail only to find it in perfect condition. I was understanding, patient, and willing to work with the customer. Everything seemed fine with the customer and I don't mind waiting in the a/c while getting paid by the hour.

Next day my route is covered by another drive and I told him that to go ahead and let the customer open the box before signing. he also had to wait 10 minutes and also said that the customer did not like me, but gave no specific reason as to why. He also said he will stop shipping with UPS, again stating no specific reason as to why.

2 days later another part is ordered at the same shop. I locate another employee who always signs for the owners packages in hopes of getting a quick signature. The owner storms out of nowhere, gives me a dirty look and tells his employee not to sign. So again the same 10 minute waiting game for a part in perfect condition. He seems to me to be looking for something to complain about and give me a hard time. even though I'm doing it by the book and following orders. My supervisor suggested to DR MC MAN, but then quickly retracted that statement incase the part is actually damage. Any suggestions on dealing with customers that want to open packages in this case and in general?

Z

ZQXC

Customer is not signing to approve condition of contents; they are signing to acknowledge a delivery was made.

Any problem with the conditions of the contents should be addressed with the shipper.

Get the signature and go.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Customer is not signing to approve condition of contents; they are signing to acknowledge a delivery was made.

Any problem with the conditions of the contents should be addressed with the shipper.

Get the signature and go.

Any issues with the condition of the box should be noted in the remarks column as this helps with the claim process.

OPTION3

As far as waiting.....it's obvious you are too busy mister customer.....I'll come back at a time when it is more convenient for you....NR1.....see you tomorrow. Reheat and repeat...nr3 ? Return the package

bumped

I won't let the customer open the package before signing unless the package is almost already falling apart. I won't argue with the customer or wait 10 minutes. If they don't want to sign I just turn around to leave. Refused, didn't want. I don't care if the shipper keeps shipping them the wrong part. That's not my issue, I'm here to deliver this box. They'll have to deal with the shipper.

T

Turdferguson

Had a customer like this once told him he could pick his stuff up in will call ,after informing center management team of what was going on. This went on for about two weeks until he got tired of driving to center for his packages. Never had a problem after that.

clean hairy

"You can sign, or refuse, which do you prefer?" While holidng the diad for them to sign. If the Customer still argues,
"We are required to obtain a signature before releasing the package to you. Do you wish to sign or refuse the shipment?"
Nothing else needs to be said, if the customer calls in and complains, you can honestly say you were explaining the procedure and they wanted to argue.

barnyard

KTM rider
As far as waiting.....it's obvious you are too busy mister customer.....I'll come back at a time when it is more convenient for you....NR1.....see you tomorrow. Reheat and repeat...nr3 ? Return the package

That is what I do.

Cust: "I have to open and inspect, I called UPS and they said it was OK."

Me, "Crud, wish I would have known that, I do not have time to wait, I'll bring it back later for you to inspect."

I returned at 16:55.

When I returned, I asked if he had to inspect all deliveries. He said that he did, so I delivered to him the rest of the week between 16:45 and 16:58.

On Friday, he said, "Is the regular guy back on Monday??"

Me, "Nope, he took 3 weeks, I'll see you Monday."

Him, "If I just sign, will you deliver at the regular time?"

Me, "Yep. Be happy to."

and that was that.

The regular guy talked to me a couple of days after he got back, said the business owner was really, really POd, but even the regular guy said it was nice not waiting for the guy to open the packages.

I have told other people, "We guarantee the contents, not the boxes. Good thing too, because we really wrecked this one."

UPSGUY72

The only time I let a customer open a box before they sign for it is if the box is beat to hell and only at a business and only in my sight. Otherwise I control the package till they sign for it so there is no issue. No sign no get.

Indecisi0n

Don't hand him the package first but the board to sign. You can tell him who it's coming front and who it's addressed to. If he doesn't sign then refused -didn't want it.

sigreq

I didn't think nr was for package deliveries, just call tags?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When confronted with this, I used to say "until you sign, this is my package and my responsibility. Once you sign for it, it is your package, and your responsibility. If there is concealed damage, call UPS and file a claim." Of course, as soon as they sign, I jet.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They dont open until they sign. PERIOD. No exceptions. Its not negotiable, even if the package looks damaged. Once you bend the rules even once, they will expect it every time the package has a scuff mark on it. There is a procedure for dealing with damage claims and it does NOT involve the driver standing there for 10 minutes while the customer methodically inspects everything in the package.

FilingBluesFL

I had a girl tell me one time I had to wait while she opened up the TV I just delivered and make sure it turned on ok, as I was walking away (DR at a house) I turned around and said "Hope it works, see ya next time!" and left.

Businesses, ain't got time fo dat!

By The Book

Had a customer at a mechanic shop last week. Before signing for his package he started opening the box. I told him that he can't open packages until signing for it. He then gave me a sad story about how DHL shipped him a damaged part. I told him respectfully that I have to call my supervisor before boxes start opening without a signature. The supervisor gave me the go ahead to let the customer open boxes. After about 10 minutes of the cosignee b.s.ing me and attending his customers he finally opens the box. He takes his sweet time inspecting every single detail only to find it in perfect condition. I was understanding, patient, and willing to work with the customer. Everything seemed fine with the customer and I don't mind waiting in the a/c while getting paid by the hour.

Next day my route is covered by another drive and I told him that to go ahead and let the customer open the box before signing. he also had to wait 10 minutes and also said that the customer did not like me, but gave no specific reason as to why. He also said he will stop shipping with UPS, again stating no specific reason as to why.

2 days later another part is ordered at the same shop. I locate another employee who always signs for the owners packages in hopes of getting a quick signature. The owner storms out of nowhere, gives me a dirty look and tells his employee not to sign. So again the same 10 minute waiting game for a part in perfect condition. He seems to me to be looking for something to complain about and give me a hard time. even though I'm doing it by the book and following orders. My supervisor suggested to DR MC MAN, but then quickly retracted that statement incase the part is actually damage. Any suggestions on dealing with customers that want to open packages in this case and in general?
Tell your supervisor to make a visit to this customer and deal with this. After he comes up with a plan of action for this stop, follow it.