Cutting Routes / Management delivering

yonnko

Our center has been cutting routes like crazy. Some I understand need to be cut, but they cut out some key route(s) where the drivers they dispatch the work too can not make service. Plus Center mgr and on road were out delivering after lay offs and sending guys home.

The problem is, who gets to decide if a grievance is petty? IMHO, the person filing the grievance(any grievance) probably feels as justified as does anyone filing for something else and has the right to be heard at panel (or as far as it has to go) to get the matter settled. I agree that the filing for 10 minutes of a SUP working is pretty silly, but the person filing may think of it a different way that indeed makes sense to them. I have always thought of the grievance process as a kind of Umpire to decide on matters of difference of opinion of how the contract is interpreted and applied. Much of the language in the contracts is vague to the rank and file as well as management and it takes a challenge to gain clarification.
What I think is petty may well be, justifiably, a big issue to someone else.

brownIEman

G-r-i-e-v-a-n-c-e

What he said.

If the OP is to be taken at face value, there really is not much more in the way of a cut and dry case for a mngmnt working grievance. Take away the company's financial incintive for taking away hourly work. That is what the mngmnt working language is for.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Are you saying they cut routes and had too many business on to few routes and had to go out and make service on these packages or did they send drivers home, brown up and deliver whole routes by themselves?

Are you saying they cut routes and had too many business on to few routes and had to go out and make service on these packages or did they send drivers home, brown up and deliver whole routes by themselves?
What difference does that make? Lay drivers off and then brown up and deliver out of a brown truck is a violation of the contract.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Trplnkl, not arguing the point. You are correct and they should file. Just trying to get a little clarification.

yonnko

As usual, they have a hard time planning. They cut to many routes and management took house calls from a driver. What is annoying is that they have been through this before. Some days it's like the first day in business.

yonnko

Plus they called a guy back in to go and meet drivers to take work from them. That was efficient now wasn't it?

whiskey

As usual, they have a hard time planning. They cut to many routes and management took house calls from a driver. What is annoying is that they have been through this before. Some days it's like the first day in business.
Finally, someone has hit the nail on the head. And it was Yonko, with the astute observation , "Some days it's like the first day in business." There is plenty to read between the lines on this one.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have never seen routes cut so that "management could run them to keep their numbers down". The only time I have seen a supervisor run a route was when there wasn't an hourly to do it. Nobody goes into management with the intention of delivering packages, they are trying to get away from that. Now for poor planning, thats another story altogether....

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If management could get away with shuttling out late airs, packages left in building, rewraps, etc., they would.

I never laughed so hard as I did the day a part time sup came shuttling a package to ME!! I asked him how many he had to shuttle, He tells me about 10, I ask where they all going, He tells me. I ask him how long he's been doing it this morning, He tells me. I write it all down and get paid 4hrs double pay. Thank you very much!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never laughed so hard as I did the day a part time sup came shuttling a package to ME!! I asked him how many he had to shuttle, He tells me about 10, I ask where they all going, He tells me. I ask him how long he's been doing it this morning, He tells me. I write it all down and get paid 4hrs double pay. Thank you very much!!

I am going to ask you this question already knowing the answer--Knowing that there are no hourlies available, would you prefer that they shuttle the NDA to you or would you rather break off, go back to the bldg, and start all over again?

705red

Browncafe Steward
How about using air drivers to stay or call in early the pm air drivers to shuttle out the packages. They could have kept drivers that where not working just to do this. So many possible ways to cover late airs, yet they never do. At least not here in these parts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

have you been drinking when did you grow a set of balls congratulations.

Grievance filing has nothing to do with whether I am a man or not. You may find this hard to believe but it is actually possible for adults to sit down, discuss an issue and work toward a solution without filing a grievance. However, in this instance a grievance is called for.

I think you need to grow up.