Damages

SandW357

Just wondering if it's the same deal everywhere. Our center has us sheet packages as missed with "DMG" in the remarks as opposed to Refused -damaged. It seems a little shady to me, but that's what they want, so whatever. The problem is 99% of the time you end up with the same box the next day looking even worse after some clerk has opened and retaped it. If the person wasn't going to accept the day before, why would they now? It's embarrassing to say the least.

porkwagon

Corporate directive for damages discovered on road is record as damaged. It was in the DIAD training several months ago.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why are you even showing obviously damaged packages to the consignee? Sheet as "missed" with "damaged" in the remarks. If they re-wrap it and it looks worse the next day repeat the process until they re-wrap it in a new or like-new box.

SandW357

Why are you even showing obviously damaged packages to the consignee? Sheet as "missed" with "damaged" in the remarks. If they re-wrap it and it looks worse the next day repeat the process until they re-wrap it in a new or like-new box.
That's what I did. On the third day I sheeted is as Refused - didn't want with DMG in remarks. center manager was okay with it. The incident that prompted me to write this post was a laptop that one of the home school programs provide to families. It was the third one sent out (previous packages appeared to be fine, but were damaged nonetheless). The lady was understandably upset (I get it, not really my problem). My issue isn't with the fact that it was damaged, or even sent back out for that matter, it's that I remember the DIAD training expressly telling us to sheet Refused - damage and we're being told to do otherwise and being yelled at if we dont.

SandW357

Instructed to scan as missed....no comment in remarks column....send message in to ctr explaining
Agreed, I'll follow whatever procedure they tell me to do, WAD. Was just wondering if it was like that everywhere out of curiosity. Whatever is said or done in this forum has no bearing on what I'll do next time, just was curious.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
DR and run. Management changes their tune on this so often nobody knows what to do? One day it's missed, then damaged, then refused, so who knows? Inspect was big for a while but that's out now in my parts.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Problem I noticed was WAD precedes our training.

Had a box with an obviously broken item inside. Sheeted missed with DAMAGED in the remarks.
Sent a message saying package missed/possible damage

I get a message saying "What's wrong with it?"
I say" Contents sounds broken, sheeting as missed per training"
Next message " center manager doesn't want any missed, sheet as customer refused"

YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS COMPANY

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Problem I noticed was WAD precedes our training.

Had a box with an obviously broken item inside. Sheeted missed with DAMAGED in the remarks.
Sent a message saying package missed/possible damage

I get a message saying "What's wrong with it?"
I say" Contents sounds broken, sheeting as missed per training"
Next message " center manager doesn't want any missed, sheet as customer refused"

YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS COMPANY
They told us the same exact thing...

JL 0513

My center doesn't accept "missed" under any circumstances which opens up a whole can of worms. We are instructed to sheet refused, "didn't want". Even though you never made contact with the customer. I've already had a customer call in saying "hey, I didn't refuse it!" after they went online and saw it sheetfed as such.

We have to break ethical rules so that it limits what UPS is on the hook for with damages. That's all this is.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have to break ethical rules so that it limits what UPS is on the hook for with damages. That's all this is.
I don't see it as breaking ethical rules. UPS owns the package until it is signed for or released. I am not saying the flavor of the month handling of damages on-road is right, but that is how it is. UPS wants all drivers to question the method and call it in, let the center team decide, instead of the driver making his/her decision. Or there are obviously local practices. Here it is refused/didn't want, at least in the center I was in. ;) Another of many examples of less and less autonomy on the job because it could change any second...

JL 0513

I don't see it as breaking ethical rules. UPS owns the package until it is signed for or released.

I mean in a sense of how we are essentially falsifying records per directive. The "proper" way to sheet a damaged package is to sheet it damaged. Plain and simple. There's a soft key there for a reason. But now we have to sheet it refused when it was never refused.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I mean in a sense of how we are essentially falsifying records per directive. The "proper" way to sheet a damaged package is to sheet it damaged. Plain and simple. There's a soft key there for a reason. But now we have to sheet it refused when it was never refused.
Refused delivery by the driver..;P

AKCoverMan

If "dishonesty" is the cardinal sin that can get you walked out, then I don't see how you can be held accountable for not working as directed if they tell you the seet a package "refused" when the consignee has never seen the package and you fail to comply. If I was told to do this would refuse the request via ODS and sheet per corporate training.

My center does not subscribe to these shenanigans thank goodness.

"WAD" is all good and well until your told to do something dangerous, dishonest, unethical, or illegal.