Dangling The Carrot

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx is desperate right now, but they aren't going to admit it. As I have said, this Peak is going to go poorly for them, in spite of temporary 15% bribes, having couriers re-classified as non-DOT etc.

All of this is a "Hail Mary" pass on 4th down from their own 1 yard line with one second left in the game. If there was any talent on the field or the sidelines, there would be a small chance, but in this case...no.

All the while, Fred is whistling past the graveyard and telling SMs to tell employees that "We are continuously reviewing your pay and benefits package" or " We are reviewing a market level change for the station". Sure they are, just like they have in the past, which means that this is pure BS designed to try and get you to stay...at least through Peak

Same old :censored2:, both because they're incredibly cheap and greedy, and because they don't see the magnitude of the problems, so they'll trot-out more cheap food, more lies, and more stalling tactics to make you believe there will be meaningful change.

Uh, no.

dezguy

It's amazing to me that the company is so concerned about retaining people for peak but not concerned about retaining people to be able to run properly the rest of the year.

Personally, I think it is a slap in the face to all those people who will not be seeing a 15% raise, even if it is temporary. Are those people working any less hard than those who are seeing this extra 15%?

It's amazing to me that the company is so concerned about retaining people for peak but not concerned about retaining people to be able to run properly the rest of the year.

Personally, I think it is a slap in the face to all those people who will not be seeing a 15% raise, even if it is temporary. Are those people working any less hard than those who are seeing this extra 15%?
hopefully 15%,less hard.

throwaway10

That's the way I look at it.

My philosophy has always been, give me a $.25 raise and I'll work like a $.25 raise. Give me a $1.00 raise and I'll work like a $1.00 raise.

Exactly... and when the guy next to me who is topped out bitches how he needs to drop stops... we let him know he needs to work 40% harder since he makes 40% more than us.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
There is NO doubt whatsoever in my mind that they are doing exactly that - tirelessly on the search for new and innovative ways to pick our pockets.

The company is not going to do much of anything about the pay because they aren't going to do much of anything to uphold standards of courier performance. They would pay more if they could get rid of the slackers without it costing an arm and a leg to do so.

dar7776

Banned
1414431967000.jpg

vantexan

The company is not going to do much of anything about the pay because they aren't going to do much of anything to uphold standards of courier performance. They would pay more if they could get rid of the slackers without it costing an arm and a leg to do so.
And they're going to replace the slackers with top notch performers? You get the workforce you pay for.

59 Dano

That's all executive management, middle management is cheap.

Sorry for the ego bruise Dano.

What ego bruise?

They want to pay good money, period. But they aren't going to pay it under-performing couriers. HOWEVER... they simply will not hold them accountable for their performance. There is no discipline for consistently failing to meet performance/service goals because the company doesn't want to deal with the costs of potential litigation. That's not fair to those who do a great job day in and day out.

I think they should pull the trigger on it and be ready for the initial wave of legal challenges. They would not be difficult to win and there would not be as many subsequent challenges to follow. There is no point in setting courier performance benchmarks if there's no penalty for missing them all the time.

So for the time being, the company is keeping the lousy couriers on the payroll at the expense of better pay for the good ones.

59 Dano

And they're going to replace the slackers with top notch performers? You get the workforce you pay for.

I had just said that they would be paying more if they could get rid of the slackers, which would attract and retain a better group of employees than what they've been getting.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I had just said that they would be paying more if they could get rid of the slackers, which would attract and retain a better group of employees than what they've been getting.
:fantasysmiley:

I want some of what you're smoking if you really think FedEx would fairly compensate any employees, if they got rid of the slackers. Funniest thing I've heard all day.

59 Dano

:fantasysmiley:

I want some of what you're smoking if you really think FedEx would fairly compensate any employees, if they got rid of the slackers. Funniest thing I've heard all day.

They wouldn't pay UPS wages, but they'd be much better than the wages currently being paid now.
Being a shill in Memphis, I'm privy to this type of info, you know.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They wouldn't pay UPS wages, but they'd be much better than the wages currently being paid now.
Being a shill in Memphis, I'm privy to this type of info, you know.

Or you're privy to the lies they fill your poor little head with. UPS is having problems finding quality people with their pay, what makes you think FedEx will be successful?

vantexan

What ego bruise?

They want to pay good money, period. But they aren't going to pay it under-performing couriers. HOWEVER... they simply will not hold them accountable for their performance. There is no discipline for consistently failing to meet performance/service goals because the company doesn't want to deal with the costs of potential litigation. That's not fair to those who do a great job day in and day out.

I think they should pull the trigger on it and be ready for the initial wave of legal challenges. They would not be difficult to win and there would not be as many subsequent challenges to follow. There is no point in setting courier performance benchmarks if there's no penalty for missing them all the time.

So for the time being, the company is keeping the lousy couriers on the payroll at the expense of better pay for the good ones.
Possibly you aren't aware of this, but this has happened to me on several routes in several stations in recent years. I start out the route posting very good numbers, and then the numbers are adjusted. Suddenly, doing the exact same quality of work, which always produced good numbers in years past, I'm in the high 80's, low 90's percentage wise. Never mind that I was outperforming previous couriers on the route and swings couldn't match my numbers. I've heard this is happening to other couriers too. What is happening is FedEx thinks if it plays psychological games with us, making us think that we need to do what ever it takes to raise our numbers closer to 100% because we feel our jobs are on the line if we don't, we'll start running, working on our breaks, etc. It's not that couriers across the board are slackers(although most stations have a few), it's BS mind games. I said you might not be aware of this, but I bet you are, and are getting kicks screwing with us about the pay situation. FedEx isn't going to attract top performers because the word is out that FedEx lies to and screws over it's employees. Even if it paid better, which you know they won't even if every last courier is at 120% of range after being adjusted down to the low 90's. Yeah, carrot on a stick, only after finally catching it we'll find it's an orange painted turd.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh give me a break. They're afraid of getting rid of under-performers for fear of their unemployment insurance going through the roof and the risk of potential lawsuits the company would face when the truth came out that the performance numbers were all arbitrary. That said, even if they did get rid of who they wanted to, the extra money would go right into Fred & buddies wallets not used to find quality drivers.

Last edited: