Davis Vision Frames/Prices

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by MassWineGuy, May 17, 2015.

1. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Active Member

For $2 a month I decided to try the Davis vision plan. After an eye exam last week (covered at no cost under my wife's Blue Cross plan, instead of $10 under Davis) I looked at some frames for a pair of prescription sunglasses.

I know some call it the welfare rack, but I found a couple of good candidates. If I don't pay for frames my costs would be:

$55 for high index lenses
    $50 for progressive lenses
    $75 for polarized lenses
    Total: $180

I figure I can skip the anti-reflective coating since they're sunglasses.

The price seems reasonable to me. Opinions, please.
  2. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

For your $2 per month, you get exactly what you pay for with Davis Vision. For one, many providers won't even accept it, which should tell you something. It's a crap plan.
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have Davis Vision-----I think the benefits are more than adequate.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. MassWineGuy

Perhaps. But a ton of providers in my area do accept Davis. There's a good chance I'll skip it in the future. But for now, is $204 reasonable for what I need? That's $180 plus the $24 I pay yearly for the plan.
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

Do you have an old pair of glasses that you can upgrade to sunglasses?
  6. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

Sure, but Davis offers different levels of plans. My guess is that yours is better than ours.
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

Most likely.
  8. MassWineGuy

My guess is that the plan is very similar between UPS and FedEx.

UpState: do you mean an old pair of frames? I might have an outdated pair of lenses somewhere, but I wouldn't see well through them.
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

Yes-----do you have an old pair of frames that you would not mind using for sunglasses? That may save you some $$.

Our plan allows us one free eye exam and one complete pair of glasses (from the welfare rack) or $120 toward the frame of our choice.

I have 2 pairs of glasses and will use the plan to upgrade the lenses only, if needed, on my primary pair. If I need to upgrade both due to a big change in my Rx the provider gives me 25% off of the 2nd set of lenses.

Shop around----you would be surprised as to how many providers accept Davis Vision and the deals they offer.
  10. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

frames at costco are pretty cheap, they take davis
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

...and you can get 96 rolls of toilet paper while you are there...
  12. Purplepackage

Purplepackage Well-Known Member

You can get free frames through Davis at Visionworks