Day after Thanksgiving driving

JL 0513

So the list for Black Friday is up in my center and we're starting with 27 drivers/routes. Sup says we'll be out for almost a full day. Looks like we're each covering a typical 2-route area.

This is my first year as a driver and I thought we just delivered next days/air on this day. I had thought we'd be out for a half day. I guess we deliver everything? Most of the business's I deliver will be closed.

As a part timer, we never worked black friday.

Anyone who could give details on the day, thanks!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So the list for Black Friday is up in my center and we're starting with 27 drivers/routes. Sup says we'll be out for almost a full day. Looks like we're each covering a typical 2-route area.

This is my first year as a driver and I thought we just delivered next days/air on this day. I had thought we'd be out for a half day. I guess we deliver everything? Most of the business's I deliver will be closed.

I'm not sure if we can start this thread over after 86 posts?

JL 0513

I was kidding.
Don't be discouraged.
Read Article 40 of the National Master.

That won't answer what I'm asking. I suppose this is the wrong thread. I posted because this is what came up in a search about the day after thanksgiving. I understand it's the union forum but figured I could get related answers.

Just wondering what we deliver (clearly it's more than the NDA's, 2nd Day's,... I thought we were doing). About 1/3 of the drivers in my building are going out for a full day which caught me by surprise.

PT Car Washer

You will be delivering NDA. 2DA AM, 1D savers, 2Da air, And maybe even 3 Day select. 3 or 4 or more routes all on one truck. PAS and EDD will be worthless because of all the different areas. Noon commit time so set up your route to get your commit times off first. Then run everything else. Sure hope you can set up a multiple route area by yourself. Just like running Saturday Air. Then Higher will decide to cut some routes. Plan on trying to deliver NDA to closed business at 5:00PM. No thanks. I am on vacation this week. Came in this PM to run 2 hours of PU's when regular driver crashed. Get paid by the hour.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That won't answer what I'm asking. I suppose this is the wrong thread. I posted because this is what came up in a search about the day after thanksgiving. I understand it's the union forum but figured I could get related answers.

Just wondering what we deliver (clearly it's more than the NDA's, 2nd Day's,... I thought we were doing). About 1/3 of the drivers in my building are going out for a full day which caught me by surprise.

Art 40 is where you start.
Once you learn that, apply your applicable supplemental language.

JL 0513

You will be delivering NDA. 2DA AM, 1D savers, 2Da air, And maybe even 3 Day select. 3 or 4 or more routes all on one truck. PAS and EDD will be worthless because of all the different areas. Noon commit time so set up your route to get your commit times off first. Then run everything else. Sure hope you can set up a multiple route area by yourself. Just like running Saturday Air. Then Higher will decide to cut some routes. Plan on trying to deliver NDA to closed business at 5:00PM. No thanks. I am on vacation this week. Came in this PM to run 2 hours of PU's when regular driver crashed. Get paid by the hour.

Based on the amount of guys we have scheduled, it almost looked like we be doing standard grounds too.

They will have me covering areas I barely know. I was afraid EDD would be useless. Hopefully we're given extra time in consideration of not being our areas.

One other question: I know it's a paid holiday, but do we get time and a half for working it, or is it straight time?

PT Car Washer

Biggest Charlie Foxtrot day of the year. Until peak season really kicks in. Actually I have seen peak seasons run very well. As long as Higher stay out of the planning. This will be number 37 and thinking I will just wash the trucks. No matter how long it takes.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Based on the amount of guys we have scheduled, it almost looked like we be doing standard grounds too.

They will have me covering areas I barely know. I was afraid EDD would be useless. Hopefully we're given extra time in consideration of not being our areas.

One other question: I know it's a paid holiday, but do we get time and a half for working it, or is it straight time?

If you worked in my building and delivered ground packages Friday, I'd get my 8hrs of double time and a portion of yours at double time as well.

PT Car Washer

No ground deliveries. Pay will be depending on your classification. As far as late air, X unless instructed otherwise.

happybob

Feeders

What you get paid for the day depends on your status, Air Driver or Package Car Driver. Part Time Air Drivers are paid straight time plus the holiday pay. Full Time employees are paid premium rate of pay(time and a half) plus the holiday pay. If you are full time you can ask for your guaranteed 8 hours of work.

If your center has you delivering ground packages then you should report that to your Shop Steward when you see him.

As far as getting extra time to deliver.....Follow the methods and you get all the time it takes to deliver them....have a great day!

cino321

It's funny how some of you guys are mentioning what your pay rate is for working the Friday after Thanksgiving in your local, and many of you are volunteering because you don't mind the extra cash, and I'm on the same page, especially because of the Holidays and what not.

Around here, the Friday after Thanksgiving is Double time, plus 8 hours for the holiday. In my center, they wanted 40 driver, they found 15 volunteers.

JL 0513

What you get paid for the day depends on your status, Air Driver or Package Car Driver. Part Time Air Drivers are paid straight time plus the holiday pay. Full Time employees are paid premium rate of pay(time and a half) plus the holiday pay. If you are full time you can ask for your guaranteed 8 hours of work.

If your center has you delivering ground packages then you should report that to your Shop Steward when you see him.

As far as getting extra time to deliver.....Follow the methods and you get all the time it takes to deliver them....have a great day!

Thanks for the info :)

It's funny how some of you guys are mentioning what your pay rate is for working the Friday after Thanksgiving in your local, and many of you are volunteering because you don't mind the extra cash, and I'm on the same page, especially because of the Holidays and what not.

Around here, the Friday after Thanksgiving is Double time, plus 8 hours for the holiday. In my center, they wanted 40 driver, they found 15 volunteers.

Wow, some locals pay double time + holiday on working holidays? We get time and a half here. I can understand varying pay rates based on region but it's odd that UPS would agree to different sets of rules like double time in one area and time and a half in another.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow, some locals pay double time + holiday on working holidays? We get time and a half here. I can understand varying pay rates based on region but it's odd that UPS would agree to different sets of rules like double time in one area and time and a half in another.

We get straight time plus holiday pay here.

Folks in New England are paid for Columbus and Veterans Days.