Debating applying for ups tractor trailer.

Blackbeauty7123

If it seasonal they start u off at $30 a hr and if it permanently then they start u at $21 a hr..

Hopkin Illinois hiring team guys off the street permanently might wanna check it out.

710 at CACH is starting permanent sleeper teams at $30, drivers will stay at that rate until they reach top rate. 705 permanent solo* drivers (which is more rare off the street) starts at the normal progression $21. Agreed about seasonal drivers @ $30.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
New to feeders but up in dispatch we have a sheet that literally says "Do you know who you're supervisor is?" With lists for which drivers are assigned to which supervisors. And yes I really don't think most drivers know or care to know. I'm not sure if this is still true but I heard our circle of honor drivers even got out of doing annual ride alongs, also many of the mileage guys flat out refuse to let the supervisors drive during ride alongs. Let's just say coming from package most of the time I dont even feel like I'm working for the same company.
I haven't talked to my supervisor in almost a year.

Mack37

Yeah these are permanent positions but it’s for sleeper teams, All those northern Indiana jobs are fulltime off the street for CACH.

There’s been multiple threads on here over the last two months addressing this yet every time a new one is started guys immediately say it’s for seasonal casuals. Not sure where half these guys are but UPS does hire feeders off the street all the time. It may have been rare in 1992 but it isn’t 1992 anymore.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah these are permanent positions but it’s for sleeper teams, All those northern Indiana jobs are fulltime off the street for CACH.

There’s been multiple threads on here over the last two months addressing this yet every time a new one is started guys immediately say it’s for seasonal casuals. Not sure where half these guys are but UPS does hire feeders off the street all the time. It may have been rare in 1992 but it isn’t 1992 anymore.
Also depends on location, where I am we very rarely hire off the street. Pretty much everyone comes from delivery.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
depends on size of hub and rate of growth. do you know how many feeder drivers they hired last year?

they tell all the peak hires that there is a chance to get on FT but it rarely happens. but some hubs are hiring off the street .

Mack37

depends on size of hub and rate of growth. do you know how many feeder drivers they hired last year?

they tell all the peak hires that there is a chance to get on FT but it rarely happens. but some hubs are hiring off the street .

It’s Cach so I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get any bigger than that. They were adding like 150 this year and another 100-150 next year supposedly.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
It’s Cach so I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get any bigger than that. They were adding like 150 this year and another 100-150 next year supposedly.
We need 200 more drivers once they get done building our expansion. No idea how they are going to get 200 drivers.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Then maybe he should try.
ABF used to be good back in the 80's. I tried to get on with them before UPS . what happened?

Blackbeauty7123

Then maybe he should try.
ABF used to be good back in the 80's. I tried to get on with them before UPS . what happened?

Their volume and revenue has declined over the years, the company hasn’t had much growth compared to their competitors like Old Dominion, Estes etc. These days they’re hurting for drivers in certain area’s so bad they’re hiring them at top rate since their pay is so low compared to other LTL companies

Emmit23

You will absolutely be laid off. They tell all the off the street casual feeders here, that they will be hiring a bunch of drivers after peak and they never do. Never seen or heard from again. We had one year where a few were brought back, last year none were brought back. They say anything to keep you around. If you have a permanent job now somewhere else, I would not do it. Chances are very slim you will be hired permanent.
These are Permanent positions!

quad decade guy

Compared to package? Yes nothing.

Well, I've done both. 15 each. Pkg-you might survive it, but you'll be in a wheelchair with a fused back

and fake knees. Feeder-get fat and die of stroke/heart attack, sleep apnea, diabetes. And doing nothing

in feeder? 14 hour days(3rd shift). Try it. Fight the fatigue, drowsiness, three different road conditions,

traffic(in a 53ft.). Hey pal, we all work our asses off...even in mgt. And there are feeder jobs that are

nothing more than pkg in a tractor trailer. And yeah, bring an air trailer in late and mgt there is chewing

you out- why? Because the airplanes were late. Yeah man, feeder gets chewed out for things absolutely

110% not our faults...just like pkg. Do nothing? 14 hours of it.

Johney

Well, I've done both. 15 each. Pkg-you might survive it, but you'll be in a wheelchair with a fused back

and fake knees. Feeder-get fat and die of stroke/heart attack, sleep apnea, diabetes. And doing nothing

in feeder? 14 hour days(3rd shift). Try it. Fight the fatigue, drowsiness, three different road conditions,

traffic(in a 53ft.). Hey pal, we all work our asses off...even in mgt. And there are feeder jobs that are

nothing more than pkg in a tractor trailer. And yeah, bring an air trailer in late and mgt there is chewing

you out- why? Because the airplanes were late. Yeah man, feeder gets chewed out for things absolutely

110% not our faults...just like pkg. Do nothing? 14 hours of it.
I have never been chewed out by any managers for having a late trailer. Air or ground.

Zowert

It’s the same in package, twenty years ago it may have been near impossible to get hired off the street. Now they’re picking anyone up with a valid license and clean driving abstract.

MrBates

So I live in Indiana and i saw there are openings in my area "Hammond" for tractor trailer driver. I currently have over 5 years at my current union company ABF as a local driver . I'm wondering would it be wise to switch as I figure i wouldn't pay Illinois taxes anymore and I kinda miss the otr part of driving? It says 30 an hour and looks to be full-time I just don't want to be put in a position of being layed off.

You have to be willing to sacrifice in the beginning. Be prepared to come in only to be sent home. Sometimes you might work a full week, sometimes only 1-2 days a week. With UPS more work becomes available as you make book and gain seniority. It all depends on the needs of the hub.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
It means the management that complain about what hourly employees make should have signed a feeder bid instead of going into management.

Some of our feeder management like to complain about what feeders make. They are reminded that they also had a chance to go feeder.
I am in package and have heard many times my on road sups making snarky comments about how much we make
I like to remind them that they could have gone the route I picked
And then I like to also say that our insurance is better and also free