Delay pay? Staggered Start Times

upsadd

i dont know if all hubs do this or not but are they alowd to delay our pay for loaders? supposedly we get delay pay up to 10 minutes because the boxes dont come at the start time? after looking at the union contract it says "time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report to work and registers in and until the employee is effectively revealed from duty". so correct me if im wrong but they should not be allowed delay my pay then right?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Art 17, pg 44

All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer.
Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums.
Time shall be computed from the time that
the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in
and until the employee is effectively released from duty.
All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving federal, state or city regulations,
which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the Employer.

gorilla75jdw

24 hours notice is all the company has to give you of your start time for the next day . If you dont here of any change to the start time via. (word of mouth, postings thru the facilty on entrance and exit dors/breakrooms) then you come in at the starttime of the last prior day . If the company refuses to pay you for your start time that they didnt inform you of that had changed , they will lose and will be forced to pay you for all time not paid for, and if its not on the following weeks check or a check is not saturday air delivered to you , file an article 17 and recieve half your daily guarentee once a week until the problem is corrected .Its a game and you have to want to win , if not the company will label you a pushover and take advantage of you until you figure the game out , bye then you could be in the 10's of thousands of $$$ azzout . Man up and do the business , you are not there to make friends , your there to make money for your family and yourself , the company is there to make money for itself , and believe this they will do that .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is really this simple--if they tell you to start at 3 am you get paid starting at 3 am. They cannot tell you to show up at 3 am and have you stand around unpaid because a feeder is running late--they eat that time.

I will look for the applicable contract language later on this morning.

ChadBrunn

So what's the deal with staggered start time? Are they aloud to do that? One half of our belt starts say at 3:30. The other half at 3:45. Is that ok to do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So what's the deal with staggered start time? Are they aloud to do that? One half of our belt starts say at 3:30. The other half at 3:45. Is that ok to do?

As long as all employees get their 3.5 minimum and any extra work regardless of start time be offered in seniority order there is no problem with staggered start times. Article 17 is the contract reference covering paid for time. There is no language giving UPS the right to start you at one time but not start paying you until another due to reasons beyond your and their control.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i dont know if all hubs do this or not but are they alowd to delay our pay for loaders? supposedly we get delay pay up to 10 minutes because the boxes dont come at the start time? after looking at the union contract it says "time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report to work and registers in and until the employee is effectively revealed from duty". so correct me if im wrong but they should not be allowed delay my pay then right?

Article number UpState? It's happening in our center and I wanna get it out that they cannot do it!!

Staggered start times in a facility is a logical and common practice. UPS was doing this when I started 39 years ago and will continue to do so.

The people who load irregulars on carts usually start as much as 15 minutes earlier than the unloaders because there is a logical reason for this.

If it takes 10 minutes after unload start for a package to reach your trailer, then UPS management should be starting that group of employees at least 10 minutes later than the unload.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I like it: global warming -climate change , illiagel alien-undocumented immigrint , and now screw the employees- delayed pay. Glad to see they have gotten politically:likeit: correct in their verbage ! NOT !!!!

Kis124

in our hub, we, the primary start 5 minutes before the metro belts (loaders) They have stuff to do before we start as we have early starters to get the day going.

Southwestern

If the persons starting at 3:30 are consistently finishing with more time that the persons starting at 3:45, and the persons starting at 3:45 hold seniority and would like the additional time, then management should accommodate a request to switch. Otherwise, they could grieve it.

I recall when loaders use to complain because they started twenty minutes following the unload -- even though they ultimately finished with more time.

We stagger start in Ca-Northbay. Seems unfair, but they can do it. DO NOT TOUCH A HINT OF CARDBOARD UNTIL YOUR START TIME!! Make sure the hubcom has your correct starting (paid from) time when you swipe in!

brownIEman

We stagger start in Ca-Northbay. Seems unfair, but they can do it. DO NOT TOUCH A HINT OF CARDBOARD UNTIL YOUR START TIME!! Make sure the hubcom has your correct starting (paid from) time when you swipe in!

How does it seem unfair? Are you suggesting it would be more fair to start loaders at the same time as unloaders, forcing UPS to pay them for 10-15 minutes every day to do nothing waiting for packages to show up in their area?

As far as delay pay, never heard of it and it certainly is not allowable as described.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have worked in two small buildings and a very large hub and most shifts/jobs, except feeders. Basically everything.

The preload is staggered up to 10 minutes behind in belt-to-car systems. Boxline, the preload generally begins earlier than the unload.
Yes, UPS will stagger shifts, "sides", areas, wherever.
The most senior people should be working first and last.
No, they cannot ask you to punch in and "wait", unpaid, for 10 minutes. That seems foolish. They can, however, ask your PD to begin 10 minutes later than the primary. That is very standard practice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our PDS/preload supervisor posts the starting time for the unload and the preload and there is a 15 minute difference in the starting times between the unload and the preload. We think he should back both of those times up by at least 15 minutes.

ColaUpser

In the columbia hub, my belt has a staggered start of 5 minutes, even though the start time is 11 I dont get paid until 11:05. Even if the truck is backed up to the sort isle i wouldnt touch a package until you are getting paid.