Can they do this to us? (rights-related question)

NYJetsfan87

We recently got a new manager in the building who has been trying to heavily push numbers with disregard to us. Sending people home, staffing us as low as possible, people not demanding their 3.5, and all that.

Recently she's staggered us by 10 minutes, meaning that if our start time is 6 pm we're only on the clock at 6:10 pm. The thing is that only the loaders in the building have been staggered. The pickoff, unload, and everyone else are not staggered and start work at 6 pm. She's intentionally delaying the loader's start time by 10 minutes to let the flow build up and take time away from us. I understand why she's doing it from a numbers perspective, but something about that feels wrong. Is this some sort of contract or rights violation or is she allowed to do this?
As long as she’s staggering the times by seniority then there is not much you can do about it. For example if you have less seniority then the pickoffs it’s legit. If you have more seniority then the sorters , and she staggers you and not them then you have a case.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As long as she’s staggering the times by seniority then there is not much you can do about it. For example if you have less seniority then the pickoffs it’s legit. If you have more seniority then the sorters , and she staggers you and not them then you have a case.

Wrong.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
We recently got a new manager in the building who has been trying to heavily push numbers with disregard to us. Sending people home, staffing us as low as possible, people not demanding their 3.5, and all that.

Recently she's staggered us by 10 minutes, meaning that if our start time is 6 pm we're only on the clock at 6:10 pm. The thing is that only the loaders in the building have been staggered. The pickoff, unload, and everyone else are not staggered and start work at 6 pm. She's intentionally delaying the loader's start time by 10 minutes to let the flow build up and take time away from us. I understand why she's doing it from a numbers perspective, but something about that feels wrong. Is this some sort of contract or rights violation or is she allowed to do this?
As soon as you punch in, go take a 10 min 💩

Trucker Clock

We recently got a new manager in the building who has been trying to heavily push numbers

I hate to tell you this, but UPS is a "for profit" company. Meaning they are in business to make money, and as much money as they can.

We recently got a new manager in the building who has been trying to heavily push numbers with disregard to us.

She's pushing numbers to make money, not with disregard to you. It makes sense to stagger your start times. Why have a loader on the clock for 10 minutes waiting for packages to reach them. Start them when there is actually work to be done.

Sending people home, staffing us as low as possible

Business 101.

people not demanding their 3.5

How can you blame UPS for this? This is an employee problem, not a company problem.

Recently she's staggered us by 10 minutes, meaning that if our start time is 6 pm we're only on the clock at 6:10 pm.

If you are scheduled to start at 6:00 pm, then that's when you start. It sounds like you are scheduled at 6:10 pm while everyone else is scheduled at 6:00 pm. Makes business sense, sorry.

She's intentionally delaying the loader's start time by 10 minutes to let the flow build up

Business 101. She's starting the loaders when there is actually work to be done. Not 10 minutes earlier for them to sit around and not do anything until the flow reaches them.

She's intentionally delaying the loader's start time by 10 minutes to let the flow build up and take time away from us

Sorry, she's not doing it to take time away from you. She's doing it so that there is actually work for the loaders to do when they start, so they don't sit around on the clock doing nothing until the flow reaches them.

I understand why she's doing it from a numbers perspective, but something about that feels wrong.

UPS is in business to make money, to make the numbers work. Business 101.

Is this some sort of contract or rights violation or is she allowed to do this?

Where you are at, I'm sure they don't bid start times. They can start anybody and everybody whenever they want. As long as you get your guarantee and any overtime/extra work goes by the contract, she can do whatever she wants.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
10 minutes at the start results in 20 minutes or more at the end. This is a tried and true reality or most every job in the building no matter how little you think happened.

The worst outcome however is how these cost saving measures (they save nothing) dramatically reduce coworker skills retention because all this time overlapping shifts, socializing and being unproductive as you might call it is in fact the glue that holds this piss poor company together.

Have fun with the rapidly revolving door of inside labor and untrained drivers.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when in doubt file.........file file file......ask around because you will need contract numbers to file on.

When i asked my BA about stuff like this he said it never hurts to file.
I only won half my grievances but made a lot of money. plus after awhile the managers left me alone.

we have had managers like this......we had to ton of people file file file.
it takes time and it's hell while it lasts but eventually we got rid of them.