Democrats are so Republican they are vetoing $15 minimum wage

wkmac

Notice how there are no Benghazi hearings?
It's not an election year.

Like Benghazi, Like Minimum Wage, Like Abortion, Like Guns, Like fill in the blank, both political parties are known to dangle the carrot in front of the noses of their supporters to drive them when they need them but when it is time for the political parties to expend some political capital on behalf of these issues, you get nothing. When it comes to the issue of $15 minimum wage, whether such is economically/morally right or wrong, I give Bernie Sanders the credit for making this issue national and what did the democratic party do? They cut Bernie off at the knees.

It almost seems to me they don't want to resolve these issues because if they did we'd soon realize how they are little more than empty suits and we would then begin to focus our time elsewhere.

It will be fine

Most dems seem to be calling for Trump to be removed from office and asking for your money to help them do so .
Why would his opponents want him removed? He's completely incompetent. Pence would actually be able to govern and pass the disastrous republican agenda. Trump can't do anything.

wkmac

I would support throwing Trump out only on the grounds it sets such a precedent that ALL future Presidents are also thrown out of office. Blow the whole thing up from the inside, my cup of tea!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
@wkmac, I realize you are smarter than the average BCer, so can you explain how the Democrats can veto anything in 2017?
well first the republicans would have to march lock-step with Trump

since that's probably not going to happen for anything but national defense and maybe taxes, the democrats will stay pretty formidable until the midterms at least

newfie

Why would his opponents want him removed? He's completely incompetent. Pence would actually be able to govern and pass the disastrous republican agenda. Trump can't do anything.

because 70 days of an administration defines the first four years. put your pusillanimous hat back on and return to your time out room.

wkmac

well first the republicans would have to march lock-step with Trump

since that's probably not going to happen for anything but national defense and maybe taxes, the democrats will stay pretty formidable until the midterms at least

If democrats are so all fired up to raise the minimum wage for example, why not hold Trump's feet to the fire? Push the issue. Or are they either too afraid to expend the political capital to advance the song and dance they sold to their voters OR were those just hollow words and their real loyalty just like the republican lay with their corporate masters? Their actions IMO scream the latter.

Trump supporters want to raise minimum wage
while democrats avoid the issue. Even among small business owners, raising minimum wage has supporters.

The irons in the fire are hot and yet the democrats are cold as ice!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If democrats are so all fired up to raise the minimum wage for example, why not hold Trump's feet to the fire? Push the issue. Or are they either too afraid to expend the political capital to advance the song and dance they sold to their voters OR were those just hollow words and their real loyalty just like the republican lay with their corporate masters? Their actions IMO scream the latter.

while democrats avoid the issue. Even among small business owners, raising minimum wage has supporters.

727bf579d48998f4b05e1ccc3a44078b_kentuckys-bend-dont-break-d-memento-dont-believe-his-lies_550-230.png

It will be fine

because 70 days of an administration defines the first four years. put your pusillanimous hat back on and return to your time out room.
Have you ever paid attention to politics before? First 100 days the president should be at his high water mark for political capitol. Trump is at 35-40% approval and is attacking the republicans in the house. That is not a recipe for accomplishing a legislative agenda.

wkmac

Trump's rating are still above that of Congress which about a month or so ago (Congressional ratings) was up but still under the historical average of 30%. I see the disapproval (as oppose to approval) ratings not as much about the individual politician as much as the patience of people with the system overall is running out. Put another way, over 70% disapprove of Congress and 60% to 65% disapprove of the President. Personally I'd like to see those number grow larger by about 15 to 20 points. A lot more of Trump's vote was as much a kind of protest vote against the status quo as many on both sides of the isle want to admit.

Recently Bernie Sanders went into West Virginia and had a Town Hall with Trump voters in which the reaction towards Bernie and many of the things he talks about were very positive as oppose to negative. This suggests to me that Trump votes were not as much for doctrinaire reasons but rather as a way of voicing themselves against the typical menu the 2 political party's try and force on the American voter. This is where all this will be interesting to watch as we move forward the next year or so. If Trump's number stay or decline and democrats can't capitalize, this will make going into the 2020 election cycle very interesting/fun times for political party atheists and for very nervous times for the political party religionists.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

My guess would be democrats simply don't want anything to pass under republican leadership that their constituents might like. We just had 8 years of that and it'll probably continue for quite some time.

wkmac

My guess would be democrats simply don't want anything to pass under republican leadership that their constituents might like. We just had 8 years of that and it'll probably continue for quite some time.

Yep. Both sides play this game equally well but as people disconnect from party identification and take on a more independent role, a larger segment will tire of such foolishness and that is when it all gets interesting.