Depression

DS

Fenderbender
I don't get how delivering packages can be so stressful to some. Might just be me, though.
You gotta remember man,everyone is different.
Every Hub is different.
Some new hires take it to heart when they are threatened with termination
for running overallowed .
Some folks have issues at home.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I've always said,I'm not happy unless I'm upset about something.
Some of the best music ever written was by the hopelessly depressed .
Sometimes I think that feeling down is a wake up call to rethink that particular
unsavory aspect of your life that you've been neglecting.
Am I crazy? Maybe Serenity now is on to something.

Kurt Cobain? just sayin'... Here is a case a case where the sufferer allowed it to get him in the end. A lot of his IMO was brought on himself.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe so. In my case one or more factors would merely be replaced by others. I do agree that how you deal with them has the biggest impact. Life is full of disappointment and you need to get used to it.:goodpost:
I was mainly refering to the OP's description of the job side of depression. Other factors outside of work may or may not be something you can control. All I'm saying is with all things being the same, I think I'd rather have a job than not have a job while dealing with whatever goes on outside, at least for the fact of escaping one facet of your life for 10hrs

U

uber

I've been through real stress so my perspective is a little different. I guess people are just different.

The_Brown_Hornet

I know dissatisfaction can be a motivation. I guess there are positives, but there are far more negatives. I see people who I work with who have drinking problems and failed marriges because of stress and depression. I see it more everyday. I wonder if the fact that (IMO) half the worforce suffers from this in some way is ever considered by the Management in Atlanta. I dont necessarily fell depressed, but I do feel like there is no end in sight to the day in day out cycle of aggrivation from UPS, the government and i guess society in general. I know great pay and benifits are a big deal but you still have to live and hopefully be happy.

S

serenity now

we are only guaranteed the pursuit of happiness, not the happiness itself

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I was mainly refering to the OP's description of the job side of depression. Other factors outside of work may or may not be something you can control. All I'm saying is with all things being the same, I think I'd rather have a job than not have a job while dealing with whatever goes on outside, at least for the fact of escaping one facet of your life for 10hrs

Yes. In my case it is desribed as "situational" . My unemployment and lack of bennies would take away my current source and replace them with even bigger ones.:choir:

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I don't get how delivering packages can be so stressful to some. Might just be me, though.
In the grand scheme of things, delivering is minor stress. Mental stress is totally different to depression, but Im sure the stress can lead to depression.
i think depression & other mental illness is inherited, but can be helped with meds &/or therapy.

Sometimes, **** happens in life that just takes the wind out of your sails. Some people can deal with, process & move on easier or faster than others.
Something that is minor or inconsequential to me or you, could be huge to someone else.
I understand that.
For some, going to work everyday is the distraction they need to make sense of things, it's their therapy.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Sometimes, **** happens in life that just takes the wind out of your sails. Some people can deal with, process & move on easier or faster than others.
Something that is minor or inconsequential to me or you, could be huge to someone else.
I understand that.
For some, going to work everyday is the distraction they need to make sense of things, it's their therapy.[/QUOTE]

on the nose

The_Brown_Hornet

In the grand scheme of things, delivering is minor stress. Mental stress is totally different to depression, but Im sure the stress can lead to depression.
i think depression & other mental illness is inherited, but can be helped with meds &/or therapy.

I understand that.
For some, going to work everyday is the distraction they need to make sense of things, it's their therapy.

Good point, so when is enough enough? When would you seek help?

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I understand that.

on the nose[/QUOTE]
Some people just don't understand or don't want to understand depression.

InsideUPS

With all the challenges we face everyday, I wonder how many of us suffer from mild to severe depression. There are so many negitives out there: Long hours, harrassment, contract rumors, customers, not enough time at home, rising gas prices,bills, taxes....in a average day we all are faced with numerous stressfull situations. Does anyone feel depressed? If so what do you do to cope with it.

Welcome Brown_Hornet.....

In regard to depression, I absolutely have been depressed many times.....some worse than others. There have been excellent suggestions in this thread for dealing with depression such as diet, exercise, etc.. One thing I caution you on is seeing a doctor. Some doctors are too quick to medicate the symptoms rather than address the underlying causes. While I am not sure of your age, you may want to have some blood tests run. As you get older, your testosterone blood levels drop significantly....which often corresponds to depression.. You may want to do some Internet research starting at Testosterone and Major Depression - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov "As men age, testosterone levels decline leading to symptoms that overlap with the symptoms of major depression."

YOU are your own best solution to the issues that concern you. Analyze what bothers you and most of ALL...... TAKE ONE DAY at a Time.......ONE HOUR at a Time....and ONE STOP at a Time. DO NOT collectively think about all the issues you outlined above at one time.

Those of us that have been married, raised (reared) children, cared of our aging parents, lost loved ones (including pets) have undoubtably gone through some very challenging times with associated depression. There is little doubt in my mind that we men go through "mid-life" crisis... which manifests itself in many ways. Ironically, this is often around our testosterone levels drop also. One of the most common ways we deal with depression is by escaping to an activity that keeps our minds off of what bothers us. This can be anything from drinking, taking drugs, developing an extra-marital relationship, and even playing here excessively on Brown Cafe. Any form of entertainment in reality is an escape from our everyday hum drum and sometimes depressing activities.

Brown Hornet....I hope you take the time to address each one of the items that you listed above in a positive manner. I firmly believe that by doing so your life will improve slowly but surely over time.

In regard to harassment..... put a STOP to it by talking with your steward, business agent, or even the person that is harassing you directly. You are an adult and deserve to be treated like one. File Article 37 if you have to. If that does not work, contact Corporate....via a letter. I JUST DID and things have worked out fine for both myself and my co-workers.

In regard to contract rumors... - forget about them. They are all meaningless to you and I at this time. This contract is basically a done deal and you will be fine.

In regard to customers..... Be cordial to a point and move on. If people complain....give them the 1-800 complain number... DO NOT allow customers or anyone else to bring you down... Remember...you are equal to everyone anyone that you deliver to and deserve to be treated with respect. You do NOT have to listen to any BS they have to say. You are NOT a garbage can for their emotions.

In regard to "not enough time at home" - This is a difficult one and an issue that WE need to resolve with this contract. We NEED 9.5 language that actually works and is ENFORCED. Hopefully your family realizes the sacrifices that you are making for them. If not....gently let them know. Try to make up for lost time anytime you can on the weekends, etc.. USE ALL of your call off alloted days... options... etc.. TRAIN your center manager to not give you more than a certain number of stops by going way over-allowed if you hit that max which you know is fair....

In regard to "rising gas prices, bills, and taxes"...... take solace in knowing you are NOT alone in this area.. EVERYONE here shares in those exact same problems. Make sure you and your family drive fuel efficient vehicles... encourage your spouse or partner to share in your effort to provide, and start a small business (any business...even cutting a few lawns) on the side. There is no better TAX SHELTER than filing a Schedule C.. (Business Profit and LOSS). Done properly and legally....you will be amazed on how much of your hard earned taxes you will recover...

So....Brown Hornet... take care....and remember...one issue at a time... one thought at a time. Give yourself something every once in a while.. Take a trip to the AdultMart for you and your spouse/partner... that will put a smile on both of your faces... : )

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Every time I get depressed I think to myself that it could always be worse, I could be in management. That always cheers me up.

JackStraw

You should go this week. What can it hurt? These fine folks certainly mean well,but a professional is probably better to answer your questions. I hope everything works out for you.Always remember though,it's a job,nothing more.

iruhnman630

Depression sucks. Period.

Everybody's reaction to it is different. It runs deeply on both sides of my family, and I've felt it for so long that I know no other way of life. I just accept it and deal with it. No way will I ever accept any kind of pharmaceutical treatment for it. Ever. So that pretty much eliminates seeking treatment, since most treatments now involving shoving some drug down patients' throats.

Being single, I am able to live a relatively comfortable life because of the job, and I thank God for that. But the job also dominates my life, mainly due to the late evening hours that leave little to no room for a life outside of UPS.

iruhnman630

When you're not interested in the things you used to do for fun, can't focus or concentrate, don't sleep well or too much... there's more but I can't list it all without walking back and looking into the dungeon.
Fun? What is that? Sleep? 8 hours? Are you kidding me?