Dhl at their best

I wasn't aware that DHL did the "owner operator" thing also. In our area DHL is a franchise and operates and pays differently than the "company" operated stores. I have a buddy that has been with DHL for 6-7 years, his monthly salary is less than $2k and has to pay for his insurance. With all these different operating schemes no wonder the DHL employees are having such a hard time organizing nation wide.
Don't ya know UP$ would just LOVE to be able to do the "owner operator" scheme.

satellitedriver

Glad to see your system is working for you but I will warn you that when something does go wrong having your name signed will come back to haunt you. Both the customer and UPS will be on you like stink on you know what. It's amazing how someone you think of as a friend (ie your customer) will turn on you in a heartbeat if they feel that things aren't going their way. I've been down this road. It isn't worth it.
I understand your concerns, and I am very careful with who I deal with on this issue.
I get more concerns with people being P.O.'d that I didn't leave their package.
They call me at home (10pm) and ask why I didn't sign their name and leave it.
I work and live in a very rural area.
They all know I am well armed and have an attitude.
(That last sentence was a joke, sort of)
My system works out for the benefit of the customer, the company and myself.
I break no UPS rules in doing it my way.
I do take on a certain liability, but it is a calculated risk.
PAX

Sukmydiad

Iowa Hawkeye fan
I understand your concerns, and I am very careful with who I deal with on this issue.
I get more concerns with people being P.O.'d that I didn't leave their package.
They call me at home (10pm) and ask why I didn't sign their name and leave it.
I work and live in a very rural area.
They all know I am well armed and have an attitude.
(That last sentence was a joke, sort of)
My system works out for the benefit of the customer, the company and myself.
I break no UPS rules in doing it my way.
I do take on a certain liability, but it is a calculated risk.
PAX
The general agreement here is if you have a key to the place and SDN and the managers are aware of this all is good. What can up$ say if you have a key and SDN? If packages are Signature required, we can generally can track the people down to get signatures. In my ten years here I have not heard of any problems concerning this.

Big Babooba

I wasn't aware that DHL did the "owner operator" thing also. In our area DHL is a franchise and operates and pays differently than the "company" operated stores. I have a buddy that has been with DHL for 6-7 years, his monthly salary is less than $2k and has to pay for his insurance. With all these different operating schemes no wonder the DHL employees are having such a hard time organizing nation wide.
Don't ya know UP$ would just LOVE to be able to do the "owner operator" scheme.
Out here DHL has a center at the airport. Their drivers are Teamsters and cover a certain area. The more remote areas are covered by contractors who work for a lot less money and no benefits.

It looks as that DHL drivers can wear any black pants they wish to wear. Ive seen some in cargo pants. And even sweat pants. But I havent seen any wearing jeans. UPS drivers I see wear mainly brown pants that look similar to slacks. As well as a brown button up shirt. Fed Ex the drivers wear navy blue. Alot of them I see wear the pants with the side pocket. And the same with the shorts. The Fed Ex Express uniforms are navy blue with purple and Fed Ex Grounds are navy blue and green. I have at times imagined if UPS bought out Airborne Express instead of DHL. Airborne Expess would have been UPS express. Fed Ex bought out RPS which is now Fed Ex ground.

Out here DHL has a center at the airport. Their drivers are Teamsters and cover a certain area. The more remote areas are covered by contractors who work for a lot less money and no benefits.
Then that must be a "corporation operated" location as opposed to a franchise or owner operated. I'm not too sure why the Teamsters would go for them having any contract drivers unless it was part of the agreement to get their foot in the door.

Lobofan5

I did see a female(?) DHL worker not too long ago... short, heavy..spikey hair...leg tatoo's..SMOKING...WHILE in the middle of a delivery..( yes folks...INSIDE..at the grocery store).. On my way out her(?) package car actually had a donut tire on the front...

Now thats just classy..wherever you are!!!

browniehound

DHL van?

what time did you order the pizza?

DHL drivers aren't like Home Delivery because they don't own thier own route therefore I see it hard for one to drive up in a company van.

This is funny FDX Guy. You are right but they have a LOT more leaway than a UPS driver. I have a guy on my route who is a DHL driver and put in a claim so is a sig. req. residential now.

Anyway, one day he ordered a bunch of crap and left a note on his door to call his cell. I called him and he was 2 towns away on his DHL route and broke to meet me somewhere just so he could sign the DIAD.

satellitedriver

This is funny FDX Guy. You are right but they have a LOT more leaway than a UPS driver. I have a guy on my route who is a DHL driver and put in a claim so is a sig. req. residential now.

Anyway, one day he ordered a bunch of crap and left a note on his door to call his cell. I called him and he was 2 towns away on his DHL route and broke to meet me somewhere just so he could sign the DIAD.
Personally,
I would not have called him.
You showed professional courtesy by calling him.
Anyone that "puts" a claim on me will not be shown any courtesy, only professional behavior.
He can sit at home all day and wait until I get there for a signature.
If he is not willing to do that, then "tough $#!t", you can come to the center and sign for it.
PAX

browniehound

Personally,
Anyone that "puts" a claim on me will not be shown any courtesy, only professional behavior.
If he is not willing to do that, then "tough $#!t", you can come to the center and sign for it.
PAX

PAX,
You know what? I have the same attitude. Problem is, it was the kid's boyfriend who put in the claim. (But now the you mention that it puts it into perspective for me). I got had.

He says he didn't recieve the 4 tires I left by their garage door. I always had a good relationship with the owner of the house.

You are right though. When I went looking for the tires the housewife said she didn't recieve them.

This guy runs a youth sports program in the town and recieves thousands of dollars in equipment every year that was left without a signature at his house for at least 10 years in the past.

After a few of my info-notices for THEIR stuff the housewife asks "We never had a problem with our soccer stuff, it was just the tires can't you leave THAT stuff?":laughing: This really pissed me off because now I knew she was in on the tire claim.

I calmly replied "A theft occured at your property I can't leave anything here anymore without a signature".

This house is on a quiet, residential street, with zero foot traffic.

Nobody took the tires and I can't believe someone in OUR business would allow this to happen at his house:angry:

browniehound

Personally,
PAX

Sorry PAX,
One more thing. I called him because I didn't want to fight through 20 boxes of soccer balls for the rest of the day and the next two!

Stoph

Stoph
I have a mostly industrial route so I back up to alot of docks to unload sometimes up to 120 pieces. The DHL bum on my route pulls his little mini-van up to the dock to unload 2 sometimes keeping me waiting. That irritates me.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Does anyone know the percentage of DHL that are teamsters? Like someone else said earlier, most "gateways" and metro areas are teamsters so they make great money vs. the amount of work that they do, benefits, pension, etc. Looks like were the real suckers, doing 10 times the work for only a few dollars per hour more than dhl teamsters. Mnnn, makes you wonder, wonder if dhl mgt is always telling their employees that ups and usps is takingh all their volume and how they are only one account from going under...ha!

currahee

I have to tell you im pretty impressed with DHL. I ordered a gift from hersheys for Christmas and i waited .Well it turns out they couldnt find my house. I have numbers on my house of course(how many times have you walked away from a house saying to yourself put a damn number on it) but, they couldnt find. What are you kidding me? I called them on a Sunday morning and they were at my door a couple hours later.
Thats just a personal expierence(sp.) .We have all seen the bad DR's and mostly rag bag drivers , and know that they are a second class operation.

Jim Kemp

Was making a del today, man comes out and takes pkg. As I was walking back to car I look over toward the front door and what did I see? A dell pkg at the front door in the rain called back to cust to tell him about pkg. He goes and picks it up and it was soaked. Water was running out of the bottom of the pkg. I made sure that he knew that it was dhl that del it so I would not get a complaint called in on me.
DHL at their best!!!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
It took a while till we convinced the OMS's that they really need to investigate the bad deliveries. If the misdelivery concern or message didn't have a tracking number they had better not assign it to anybody until all the questions are answered correctly. Over 50% of the time it was the competitor's package that we got blamed for!