"What if it's dark?"

"Use the diad flash light."

"What if it's MCM or MCW and they don't want their picture taken?"

sillence

"What if......."

"Just stay hydrated."

"and turn in those sales leads".

Travwise

When we were "trained" on DIAD 5 use the trainer said they had already done testing, the theory being you DR a package snap a photo, boom, if customer claims they didn't get it we could say exactly where it was left.

BUT drivers were taking "inappropriate" photos, dog crap, etc. so they opted to disable the cameras. Not sure if there's any truth to that or not....

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You are responsible for the DIAD from the time you pull it out of the rack to the time you put it back.

Would you leave your iPhone in the cargo area in the middle of summer?

Resident know-it-all.
Nope, I know you love playing devil's advocate, but once again the self proclaimed know it all doesn't.

If someone smashed open the rear door of the truck and stole all the packages or the DIAD while I was on lunch--if I've parked the truck in the safest place possible (within reason) and made sure the bulkhead and rear door is closed/locked I've done my due diligence. I am not being paid to guard the truck, the diad or the packages during my unpaid lunch period. I can go to a movie theater and watch an hour of a movie...I can go swimming...I can get a massage...I can go skydiving if I so choose. If someone breaks into the truck it's not my problem.

Wanna know why? It's the LAW!

Fair Labor Standards Act and the Department of Labor, Title 29, Part 785.
§785.16
(a)
General. Periods during which an employee is completely relieved from duty and which are long enough to enable him to use the time effectively for his own purposes are not hours worked.
(b)
Truck drivers; specific examples. A truck driver who has to wait at or near the job site for goods to be loaded is working during the loading period. If the driver reaches his destination and while awaiting the return trip is required to take care of his employer’s property, he is also working while waiting. In both cases the employee is engaged to wait. Waiting is an integral part of the job.
There is lots of case law proving it...

Skidmore v. Swift,
323 U.S. 134, 137 (1944);

Walling v. Dunbar
Transfer & Storage,
3 W.H. Cases 284; 7 Labor Cases
para. 61,565 (W.D. Tenn. 1943);

Gifford v. Chapman,
6 W.H. Cases 806; 12 Labor Cases para. 63,661 (W.D.
Okla., 1947);

Thompson v. Daugherty,
40 Supp. 279 (D.
Md. 1941))

and a great example...Brinker Restaurant Corp. v. Superior Court.
The court found employers have "an affirmative obligation to ensure the workers are actually relieved of all duty" during meal breaks.
"We conclude an employer's obligation is to relieve its employee of all duty, with the employee thereafter at liberty to use the meal period for whatever purpose he or she desires," Justice Kathryn Mickle Werdegar wrote in the unanimous decision.

Sooooo yeah, I AM NOT responsible for jack :censored2: while on my unpaid meal period. Next?

Nope, I know you love playing devil's advocate, but once again the self proclaimed know it all doesn't.

If someone smashed open the rear door of the truck and stole all the packages or the DIAD while I was on lunch--if I've parked the truck in the safest place possible (within reason) and made sure the bulkhead and rear door is closed/locked I've done my due diligence. I am not being paid to guard the truck, the diad or the packages during my unpaid lunch period. I can go to a movie theater and watch an hour of a movie...I can go swimming...I can get a massage...I can go skydiving if I so choose. If someone breaks into the truck it's not my problem.

§785.16
(a)
General. Periods during which an employee is completely relieved from duty and which are long enough to enable him to use the time effectively for his own purposes are not hours worked.
(b)
Truck drivers; specific examples. A truck driver who has to wait at or near the job site for goods to be loaded is working during the loading period. If the driver reaches his destination and while awaiting the return trip is required to take care of his employer’s property, he is also working while waiting. In both cases the employee is engaged to wait. Waiting is an integral part of the job.

Skidmore v. Swift,

Walling v. Dunbar
Transfer & Storage,

Gifford v. Chapman,
Okla., 1947);

Thompson v. Daugherty,
40 Supp. 279 (D.
Md. 1941))

The court found employers have "an affirmative obligation to ensure the workers are actually relieved of all duty" during meal breaks.
"We conclude an employer's obligation is to relieve its employee of all duty, with the employee thereafter at liberty to use the meal period for whatever purpose he or she desires," Justice Kathryn Mickle Werdegar wrote in the unanimous decision.

Sooooo yeah, I AM NOT responsible for jack :censored2: while on my unpaid meal period. Next?
Well said! :goodpost::winnersmiley:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

§785.16
(a)
(b)

Skidmore v. Swift,

Walling v. Dunbar
Transfer & Storage,

Gifford v. Chapman,
Okla., 1947);

Thompson v. Daugherty,
40 Supp. 279 (D.
Md. 1941))

Ya know, Techie, if you poke him long or hard enough, he'll take his ball and go home.

Just sayin'.;)

BrownBuckaroo

Boxy Lady
Theyre made by Cyberdyne Systems. and want to become self aware every friday morning. Then it looks at me and says, "Come with me if you want to live"

BrownBuckaroo

Boxy Lady
It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Just Lurking

Remember II Morrow that little technology company that UPS acquired in 1986. Not only gave us DIAD I but wonderful soon to be gone CEO.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
How do you know when you're working to many hours, when your DIAD stops holding a charge. Needless to say my battery was replaced over three months ago.