Discrimination or Ignorance of Policy?

jalnar

So if they are trying to force in from the bottom up and get to your name you are going to file a grievance requesting that the company pass you over and viol
So if they are trying to force in from the bottom up and get to your name you are going to file a grievance requesting that the company pass you over and violate one of your brother's seniority? How far did you expect the Union to fight that grievance for you?

ate one of your brother's seniority? How far did you expect the Union to fight that grievance for you?
So if they are trying to force in from the bottom up and get to your name you are going to file a grievance requesting that the company pass you over and violate one of your brother's seniority? How far did you expect the Union to fight that grievance for you?

Its not about seniority,its about a person to enjoy religious freedom,which is what this land was founded upon.

Nolimitz

from the EEOC site. Cant speak to UPS policy

Religious Discrimination & Reasonable Accommodation
The law requires an employer or other covered entity to reasonably accommodate an employee's religious beliefs or practices, unless doing so would cause more than a minimal burden on the operations of the employer's business. This means an employer may be required to make reasonable adjustments to the work environment that will allow an employee to practice his or her religion.

Examples of some common religious accommodations include flexible scheduling, voluntary shift substitutions or swaps, job reassignments, and modifications to workplace policies or practices.

Religious Discrimination & Reasonable Accommodation & Undue Hardship
An employer does not have to accommodate an employee's religious beliefs or practices if doing so would cause undue hardship to the employer. An accommodation may cause undue hardship if it is costly, compromises workplace safety, decreases workplace efficiency, infringes on the rights of other employees, or requires other employees to do more than their share of potentially hazardous or burdensome work

jalnar

If he got hired and knew he had to work Saturday as part of his normal schedule,then the company might have a leg to stand on. Its not about him missing his bowling night,becuase now he is forced to work that day.

brownIEman

Its not about seniority,its about a person to enjoy religious freedom,which is what this land was founded upon.

No, if you are filling requesting the company to pass you by and force someone more senior in your place, that's about you getting your religious rights and your brother getting his seniority rights violated. Again, how far would you expect the Union to fight that grievance on your behalf?

Dr.Brownz

Hi All! Been preloading four years now in addition to working another M-friend full-time job. Yesterday I was informed by my belt supe that we'd be working Saturday. As a person of the Jewish faith who observes Shabbat (which basically means no work is to be undertaken from Friday evening to Saturday evening), I've never had a problem with management understanding and respecting this tenet. Until now. Our hub has more turnover than a runaway downhill ferris wheel so I have to explain Shabbat to a new supe/manager every year once peak hits and folks are being asked to work Saturday. Yesterday I was told working this Saturday is mandatory and that "UPS don't recognize 'She-Bop' as a holiday". Do I even need to waste my time rustling up a manager who already has ten pressing issues to deal with? Or would it be more prudent to just leave it be, stay home and start on my journey down the Path of Progressive Discipline come Monday? I like my job and don't want to fight or argue about it. Also keep in mind that even calling work on a Saturday is technically against the "rules" of Shabbat. Like I said, I've never had this problem in the past. Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Stay home and if they discipline you, grieve it and file harassment grievances if they say anything about it. Let the union sort it out rather than wasting time and energy arguing with some :censored2: manager.

In fact file harassment and discrimination charges now for using the phrase "She-Bop"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hi All! Been preloading four years now in addition to working another M-friend full-time job. Yesterday I was informed by my belt supe that we'd be working Saturday. As a person of the Jewish faith who observes Shabbat (which basically means no work is to be undertaken from Friday evening to Saturday evening), I've never had a problem with management understanding and respecting this tenet. Until now. Our hub has more turnover than a runaway downhill ferris wheel so I have to explain Shabbat to a new supe/manager every year once peak hits and folks are being asked to work Saturday. Yesterday I was told working this Saturday is mandatory and that "UPS don't recognize 'She-Bop' as a holiday". Do I even need to waste my time rustling up a manager who already has ten pressing issues to deal with? Or would it be more prudent to just leave it be, stay home and start on my journey down the Path of Progressive Discipline come Monday? I like my job and don't want to fight or argue about it. Also keep in mind that even calling work on a Saturday is technically against the "rules" of Shabbat. Like I said, I've never had this problem in the past. Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Brownslave688

I'm a Veteran---I never got one single Veterans Day off. Toughen up Buttercup. Go to work. IF your religion is any good you will be forgiven. Throw a few extra bucks in the collection plate the next time---all will be good.
So typical of the older generations.

I did without or didn't get it so neither should you. wow

Brownslave688

Should not have to fight it hard at all. Courts have made this a slim dunk.

brownIEman

Should not have to fight it hard at all. Courts have made this a slim dunk.

So what happens when the higher seniority employee forced in to accommodate this religious belief files a grievance and requests the company follow seniority per the contract as the remedy. Then what? You just bury that one?

Brownslave688

So what happens when the higher seniority employee forced in to accommodate this religious belief files a grievance and requests the company follow seniority per the contract as the remedy. Then what? You just bury that one?
Religious rights are gonna trump this anytime.

I don't see other drivers filing about growing beards because some have religious exemptions

brownIEman

Religious rights are gonna trump this anytime.

I don't see other drivers filing about growing beards because some have religious exemptions

Apples and oranges. I don't see any beards causing seniority violations.

So are you saying the Union would be totally cool with the seniority violations and would squash a grievance from an affected employee?

Brownslave688

Apples and oranges. I don't see any beards causing seniority violations.

So are you saying the Union would be totally cool with the seniority violations and would squash a grievance from an affected employee?
Yep. It's out of the unions control. Way above their heads.