Discrimination or Ignorance of Policy?

rod

Retired 22 years
Whats religion have to do with it anyway? Its a contract issue. Holidays and other time off are spelled out in black and white in the contract. Why do people take a job and think the rules don't apply to them. If you can get an exemption from the rule more power to you---otherwise get your butt to work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Whats religion have to do with it anyway? Its a contract issue. Holidays and other time off are spelled out in black and white in the contract. Why do people take a job and think the rules don't apply to them. If you can get an exemption from the rule more power to you---otherwise get your butt to work.
Everyone has a right to observe their religious beliefs. Employers don't get to pick and choose what religions they will and won't accommodate.

I'm not a religious person at all. Which makes it funny that I'm the one standing up here but there's 50+ years of court decisions behind this.

rod

Retired 22 years
Everyone has a right to observe their religious beliefs. Employers don't get to pick and choose what religions they will and won't accommodate.

I'm not a religious person at all. Which makes it funny that I'm the one standing up here but there's 50+ years of court decisions behind this.

So if I started my own religion and said it was against my beliefs to work on Mondays and Fridays and every other Tuesday you would be ok with me being granted that demand? What separates your religion from mine? (Yes---- I know you would join my religion because that's about what you work now)

Brownslave688

For some locals you are probably right. Others would fight it

I agree they would lose that fight but meritless grievances get sent up the flag all the time.
I don't think it would be a problem a majority of places.

Not unless someone thought the employee was lying.

Brownslave688

So if I started my own religion and said it was against my beliefs to work on Mondays and Fridays and every other Tuesday you would be ok with me being granted that demand? What separates your religion from mine? (Yes---- I know you would join my religion because that's about what you work now)
Ethics would stop most people from trying anything like that.

I mean it's not hard to use common sense here.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A26D36B5-03F7-47A2-AA16-1F5FCBF81632.gif

Ask the Reverend Flip Wilson of the
Church of what’s happenin now

brownIEman

I'm in. I declare myself a convert to the church of the prophet Rod and shall hold sacred every Friday and Monday and alternate Tuesdays and shall preform no labor those days.

Common sense and ethics seem to be lacking in a good portion of the younger generations.

So sayeth the prophet. Amen.

Daf

I wouldn't necessarily call it discrimination yet. I think you're boss doesn't believe that you are telling the truth and just trying to avoid work. Reach out to hr first. Then file with union for discrimination.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm in. I declare myself a convert to the church of the prophet Rod and shall hold sacred every Friday and Monday and alternate Tuesdays and shall preform no labor those days.

So sayeth the prophet. Amen.

The Prophet says you must send Rod $10,000 by Monday evening or Rod will be very sad. All hail Rod.

brownIEman

The Prophet says you must send Rod $10,000 by Monday evening or Rod will be very sad. All hail Rod.

Ok- you all heard the prophet. Start collecting donations and sending them in (and remembered this is a legit faith based organization so it's tax deductible)

I'd start the collection process myself but it's Friday and I can't do any work today. It's against my religion. :wink2: