Discrimination or Ignorance of Policy?

Ms. Sort

Package Handler
Whats religion have to do with it anyway? Its a contract issue. Holidays and other time off are spelled out in black and white in the contract. Why do people take a job and think the rules don't apply to them. If you can get an exemption from the rule more power to you---otherwise get your butt to work.
This is the first time in my 4 years there that they told us working Saturday is mandatory. A big reason I chose UPS and my full-time job is because they're M-friend, thus allowing my family and I to spend Shabbat together. Perhaps I missed the clause in the contract that dictates that, regardless of second jobs or religious observations, part-time employees are required to be available for duty at any given moment on any given day.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
This is the first time in my 4 years there that they told us working Saturday is mandatory. A big reason I chose UPS and my full-time job is because they're M-friend, thus allowing my family and I to spend Shabbat together. Perhaps I missed the clause in the contract that dictates that, regardless of second jobs or religious observations, part-time employees are required to be available for duty at any given moment on any given day.
They say it’s “mandatory “. It’s not. Continue your normal schedule. File as needed.

jalnar

To all you anti semites,I hope you are forced to work Sundays (peak),and say you can because I go to Church.I would have you for lunch.If being an :censored2: is a religion you are the Pope

brownIEman

There business environment UPS operates in is shifting and the company can either adjust or accept it's inevitable demise. UPS tends to adjust. You have a legitimate religious objection, you will ultimately be accommodated though management may give some initial push back because they've learned if the make it too easy for employees to skip special operations they won't be able to staff any. The Union might also give push back for reasons of seniority I've already mentioned.
Either way you'll be fine just stand your ground firmly. There should be no reason you should have to be a jerk about it as some have advised.