Disqualified

I have a question regarding "disqualified" as one of the drivers at my center was pulled into the office and told they were disqualified due to some gaps between a few stops on different days. The delay was caused from construction and other acts beyond the drivers control. He was running a good spor comparing it with the other drivers. Now this was before his 90 day probation period, so is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for any help guys and gals

UPSGUY72

In my are it's 30 days driving probation. Well anyways during those 30 days UPS can disqualify any reason they want. Usually they tell you it's becasue of time allowances, accident or getting hurt. But it could be just that the person burned a lot of bridges and they don't like him. The driver would have to prove the later to win a grievance.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In my are it's 30 days driving probation. Well anyways during those 30 days UPS can disqualify any reason they want. Usually they tell you it's becasue of time allowances, accident or getting hurt. But it could be just that the person burned a lot of bridges and they don't like him. The driver would have to prove the later to win a grievance.

Yeah I've never heard of a 90 day probation period. Sounds like this persons only hope is fill and see what happens.

He was hired off the street as a driver back in june, as why he was within the 90 day probation period. Where this is the case is there any chance he could grievance? If he was disqualified as a driver would he not have a chance for preload or unload instead of just being showned the door.

UPSGUY72

He was hired off the street as a driver back in june, as why he was within the 90 day probation period. Where this is the case is there any chance he could grievance? If he was disqualified as a driver would he not have a chance for preload or unload instead of just being showned the door.

he doesn't have a grievance case he is considered a Temp.

If he was hire off the Street in June he was hired as a temp to help cover vacation NOT as a FT driver. I would bet they laid him off in the last two week of Sept and probably will call him back in Oct to help again until Dec 21. If he was a true off the street hire he would have made his 30 days back in July.

Those hire off the street between Jan 1 and May 31 are not hired as temps any other time of the year they are considered temps.

No he was hired as a full time driver.....they have hired ten more since... I know for a fact he was not a temp driver. Is there anyway this driver can fight for his job back? You say the 30 day period?

barnyard

KTM rider
No he was hired as a full time driver.....they have hired ten more since... I know for a fact he was not a temp driver. Is there anyway this driver can fight for his job back? You say the 30 day period?

Are you the shop steward???? If not, that is who the driver should be talking to.

UPSGUY72

It is a 6 to 1 inside to outside hire rate how could they hire 10 more outside full time drivers they would have had promoted at least 60pt inside guys first ??? 99 % of Drivers hired between June 1 and Dec 31 are considered Temps. You would have to prove it otherwise mean in writing otherwise the union considers them Temps.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had a bunch of off the street hires a while back. No qualified PTers signed, so they hired off the street. I can't remember for sure, but it was either 5 or 6 in a row.

The center needed more drivers for extended runs they created, there wasn't enough of the preload or unloaders that wanted to drive, so they hired off the street. This driver was hired as a full time driver and had their own run....they were not a swing or flow driver.

Brownslave688

The center needed more drivers for extended runs they created, there wasn't enough of the preload or unloaders that wanted to drive, so they hired off the street. This driver was hired as a full time driver and had their own run....they were not a swing or flow driver.

Then if they have driven for 31 days or more they are a FT non seasonal already made it in the union driver and need to file. YESTERDAY!!!!!

kingOFchester

Who cares. He didn't put his time in as a part timer. As harsh as it may sound, I really don't care. Kudos to anyone who was an off street hire, but I feel there is no place for this in the contract. Everyone is always talking about needing more full time jobs, well if UPS maximizes their right to hire off the street that means close to 17% of the drivers came off the street. That's a lot of full time work that could of gone to our part time brothers.

The contract should not allow off the street hire unless they have exhausted all avenues within the union including going to nearby buildings.

Brownslave688

Where are u? The way it reads is they have a 90 day probation period to get their 30 days in. Once you work day 31 your a driver no more probation period no more production standard.

Canada.....I was told at my center they can het rid of us for no reason within our 90 days but am not to sure how true it iso?? I am trying to help a friend out and apperciate any help.

Brownslave688

Canada as I suspected. Should have put that in the original post. No clue how Canada contract reads as most of us are from the states. There are a few from Canada on here though be patient and u should get the information you seek.