Divorce vs legal separation

onehandsolo

I signed my divorce papers today. We have been separated for almost two years. The one piece of advice I would give you is don't jump into any huge financial decisions it's ok to pay rent for a while. Trust me you r going to change a lot over the next few months.

UPSGUY72

I signed my divorce papers today. We have been separated for almost two years. The one piece of advice I would give you is don't jump into any huge financial decisions it's ok to pay rent for a while. Trust me you r going to change a lot over the next few months.

Renting a three bedroom apartment cost more than buying a 3 bedroom house. Especially since the one I'm buying is fully furnished.

Thanks lets hope the change is for the better. My stress level can't get any higher. Things aren't going my soon to be ex's way and she isn't to happy about. We go back to court on Aug 17. Hopefully everything will be agreed upon by then. But she has to buy the house I brought before marriage from me and the only way she can do that is if I give her a gift in equity. Then after she buys it she has to pay me the equity I have in it which should include equity I had before we got married which is about $20,000.

Clerkboy

sic semper tyrannis
My ex tried to pile on a lot of medical expenses on before things were finalized. She had some procedures done & skated off on the bill thinking that I'd be stuck with them. I had already filed & had stated that all expenses afterward were on her. She was technically still on my insurance & would have been covered but was to stupid to even file with insurance. She filed bankruptcy. Good luck brother

BostonBo

I got to to that with her medical bills, too. Once we separated she had to pay her own bills. She really got mad after the divorce went through and her Teamstercare insurance stopped. She really didn't think the divorce all the way through.

UPSGUY72

In my area are insurance is through the Union. I was talking to some of the guys at work about the soon to be ex and health insurance and they said she has to find her own. So I called the Union health care office and they confirmed it she is only cover up until date the divorce if finalized or 12 months from the date of separation.

From the info I was able to obtain from her talking with her attorney they are under the impression I have to keep her on my healthcare. I gave her a head up the other day I'm sure she is pissed or thinking that I don't know what I'm talking about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is true that she will be dropped from your insurance once the divorce is finalized. I don't know of any major healthcare insurer who will continue to cover a divorced spouse.

I do have to disagree that she will be dropped after you guys have been formally separated for 12 months. There is a difference between living apart and having a formal separation agreement, which in essence becomes your final divorce decree. The only people who get copies of the formal separation agreement are you and your soon to be ex so unless you forward a copy to your local healthcare office they would have no idea that you guys are separated.

On a somewhat related note, placing an ad in the legal section of your local newspaper stating that you are no longer responsible for her debts as of a particular date is a waste of time and money as the only documents that do this are the formal separation agreement and divorce decree.

UPSGUY72

It is true that she will be dropped from your insurance once the divorce is finalized. I don't know of any major healthcare insurer who will continue to cover a divorced spouse.

I do have to disagree that she will be dropped after you guys have been formally separated for 12 months. There is a difference between living apart and having a formal separation agreement, which in essence becomes your final divorce decree. The only people who get copies of the formal separation agreement are you and your soon to be ex so unless you forward a copy to your local healthcare office they would have no idea that you guys are separated.

On a somewhat related note, placing an ad in the legal section of your local newspaper stating that you are no longer responsible for her debts as of a particular date is a waste of time and money as the only documents that do this are the formal separation agreement and divorce decree.

That what are local insurance lady said on the phone the other day I'm not the first UPS guy to get divorced so I'm pretty sure she know what she is talking about. I'm having her send me the info.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That what are local insurance lady said on the phone the other day I'm not the first UPS guy to get divorced so I'm pretty sure she know what she is talking about. I'm having her send me the info.

Think about it for a second. If the union does not get a copy of your formal separation agreement how are they going to know when to kick her off of the insurance?

Do yourself a favor------don't air your dirty laundry at work.

UPSGUY72

I notified the union off of when we separated...
Think about it for a second. If the union does not get a copy of your formal separation agreement how are they going to know when to kick her off of the insurance?

Do yourself a favor------don't air your dirty laundry at work.

I notified the union office of when we separated.

It's no secret at work I'm getting divorced I have let my management team know and I talk to some of the other guys that have been divorced for information and just to vent. It's nice to show up to work and have people ask you how things are going or if you need anything ask. I don't talk bad about my soon to be ex she is a great mom to my 2 beautiful children we just don't see thing the same anymore....

Re-Raise

I notified the union off of when we separated...

I notified the union office of when we separated.

It's no secret at work I'm getting divorced I have let my management team know and I talk to some of the other guys that have been divorced for information and just to vent. It's nice to show up to work and have people ask you how things are going or if you need anything ask. I don't talk bad about my soon to be ex she is a great mom to my 2 beautiful children we just don't see thing the same anymore....
It sounds like your friends at work are a good support group for you. I think sometimes the people who go off the deep end are the ones who try to handle everything themselves and keep it all inside.