Do I lose $ if I switch class A stock to B ?

Round the block again

I have class A stocks but can’t sell them because I’m at 99.29 shares just a tiny bit from 100 shares. Switching stocks class A to B is done thru the mail but will I lose money? Want to pay some bills off, so wondering if anyone done this.

RUDoneYet

@roundtheblockagain Just remember, there will likely be a gain that must be taken into account come next year when you file your 2021 taxes. Simple example, let's pretend you bought or were awarded 100 shares when they were at $100 each. Next Monday, you sell them off and the share price = $175. That's going to leave you with a tax liability on $7,500. For giggles, let's assume an overall tax rate (not going to try and break it down by brackets for this example) 25%. Come tax time in 2022, Uncle Sam will be looking for you to pony up ~ $1,875, so you may want to squirrel away two grand so you aren't scrambling April 15, 2022.

Round the block again

Thanks I’ll save 2000 just to be on the safe side. Would you know if I just wanted to sell 50 shares and not 100, would they let’s us do that? Or is it always 100? Thanks too

Also, remember that you can't sell shares that are less than 2 years old (which isn't exactly a fair trade for a 5 percent discount).
People do not understand that concept. That's money you just put on the side for later on a life that you have a few extra bucks. For all other things you should have an emergency fund.
I seen far too many threads were people was asking how do I get money from my 401k, or how do I cash out my stock.

upschuck

People do not understand that concept. That's money you just put on the side for later on a life that you have a few extra bucks. For all other things you should have an emergency fund.
I seen far too many threads were people was asking how do I get money from my 401k, or how do I cash out my stock.
Gotta have some waiting period, 2 yrs seems a bit long, to me, though.

ManInBrown

I have class A stocks but can’t sell them because I’m at 99.29 shares just a tiny bit from 100 shares. Switching stocks class A to B is done thru the mail but will I lose money? Want to pay some bills off, so wondering if anyone done this.
If you don’t have 100 shares to sell you can’t just click the sell button and the sale is immediate. You have to request paperwork from ComputerShare, fill it out, get it notarized and mail it back. Meaning you have no idea what the price will be at the time the sale goes thru. When you have 100, you click sell and that’s the price. It takes 7 business days to do it the other way. Could lose money, could gain money.