Do We Cross Informational Picket Lines?

brown_trousers

Interesting counterpoint. Unfortunately if the drivers do choose to strike the PTers will have no choice but to follow suit as they will be locked out.

I didn't mean it in the context that we could actually work during a strike.

just trying to make the point that drivers and combo workers will be expecting the support of part-timers whenever they want to negotiate or strike (like in 1997). And since we obviously will be there supporting them, a little concern for our well-being would be appreciated.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Interesting counterpoint. Unfortunately if the drivers do choose to strike the PTers will have no choice but to follow suit as they will be locked out.

No they would not, They would have the ability to cross the picket line and return to work just the same as you or any other full time employee. We call that a scab, and it would be very bad move but they do have the ability.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
To be blunt, why should I concern myself with the part-timers if they are not concerned about themselves?

Good question Upstate. Why should you concern yourself with anyone other than yourself? Maybe because we are a part of a brotherhood. Our brotherhood sets the standard for the rest of the country on pay and benefits. You better thank your lucky stars every day and night that the Teamsters that came before you didn't have the same narrow views that you do. How would you like to never get paid for overtime? Have no protections from management whims? Work for pennies a day? Have no vacation? Have no pension?

The reason we do what we do is for the benefit of not only ourselves but the one to come in the future, and yes that includes the part timers!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Our IAM&AW contract always expires a year after the Teamsters (hence the joke we get the scraps that fell from the table), in 1997 it was reported if the IAM went on strike, would the Teamsters (at least in our area) honor our picket line? I'm told the answer was "No"!

The waters weren't tested so I don't know what would have really happened.

I would have walked with you Brother!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I wouldn't cross ANY picket line myself. Have not been properly trained to differentiate between a strike line & an informational line. Last I checked it wasn't in the 340 methods. Better to err on the safe side and let management deal with it!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Verizon extended their picket to include the wireless stores. I deliver to the Gamestop which is next door and sent an ODS to the center asking them to tell the driver for that store that the Verizon workers were picketing outside the store. They forwarded the information yet he still crossed the line and made the delivery. He said he didn't know that we didn't cross organized picket lines. He has since been spoken to and will only deliver if they are not picketing.

Informational and work stoppages are not one in the same.