Do you think that UPS is going to get worse for workers over time? (How raises work?)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Rawrzxor, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rawrzxor

Rawrzxor Member

I'm especially curious as to what anyone who's been with the company for a long time thinks.

I came last January, right before the new contract. -.- I heard that the healthcare was made worse, but my card still says 10 buck copay which is cool. Although, I don't yet know wtf is going on with raises. When I was hired as a package handler, I was told we got dollar raises per year. But, I got some union thing in the mail that showed staggered raises. Like 30 cents one year, 70 cents the other or something.

Incidentally, I've been with UPS for a year and two months, but I haven't gotten my raise yet. Is it the same as last year's raises? Like, it enacts in August, but then you get a check for the difference?
  2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Start going to Union meetings. Get a copy of the contract. Read it.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

You're supposed to get a raise after 30 days, if I remember correctly (It's been a while) and then I think after one year.

No, you won't get a "retro" check rhis year, that was because of the contract hold up.

I think UPS should go to a two tier wage system, and that it'll happen. Maybe not this cobtract, but probably the next one
  4. sailfish

sailfish Well-Known Member

I gotta second this. Start early. Make sure the Union knows you're watching what they do.
  5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Part timers don't vote so we can screw them over and take their share.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

it will get worse unless people are politically active and push for change.

see jeff faux, gar alperovitz, noam chomsky, richard wolff, ralph nader for explanation
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  7. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

Its going to keep getting worse like it has after every contract. Feel bad for the ones being hired now and in the next 10 years. Once you lose something with these guys, its never coming back. More childish rules and harassment will continue to happen, pretty much a given really.
  8. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

Good thing you won't be around to see it.
  9. I take it 8:45-5:45 dispatches aren't gonna become the norm.?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

It will get slightly worse in the coming years yet still will be one of the best gigs out there for a regular Joe.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

its across every industry, but i would imagine low skilled jobs like ups will be more affected by it.
  12. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

What other mindless stress-free part-time job with full benefits do you recommend?
  13. Brownslave688

Well I'd hope part time isn't the end game.

And for comparable full time jobs I'd recommend heavy machinery operator, lineman, certified underwater or oil field welder, diesel mechanic, ect.
  14. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Other than certified diesel mechanic your chances of injury are much higher for your comparable FT jobs than at UPS.
  15. Brownslave688

No way heavy machinery op has a higher risk.

Also while your chances for serious injury or death may be higher the general wear and tear on your body is without a doubt higher as a ups driver.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

None, only said its going to get worse for new hires now and new hires in the next 10 years. Still a good gig, just lots n lots of more BS child games and harassment coming. Youthink its bad now, just wait and see partner lol.
  17. retired2000

retired2000 Active Member

It does not have to get worse. If you stick together at contract time you can get back things that the retirees won for you guys years ago
  18. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Concessions are very hard to get back.
  19. Rawrzxor

Rawrzxor Member

I wasn't even aware there were votes and meetings. Maybe I'll try to squeeze a few in between work and school.

And that's really sad. :\

Stress free you say? Clearly, you're not a loader in 120 degree weather. And that's really dependent on which sup you get. Although, your basic meaning I have to agree with. Comparatively, it's a good gig. Just wish they still gave the dollar raise per year for part timers. Just checked and it was 50 cents. Still, in my 12 years of being in the workforce, or 6 as an adult, I've never gotten a raise or vacation or had healthcare; so, that's pretty damn awesome. So excited for my *first ever* vacation in two weeks. ^_^ Those benefits are really the only thing that makes the job worth doing.
  20. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Are you preload?

Being uncomfortable and sweating doesn't make the job more stressful imo.