Do you think that UPS is going to get worse for workers over time? (How raises work?)

The Milkman

None, only said its going to get worse for new hires now and new hires in the next 10 years. Still a good gig, just lots n lots of more BS child games and harassment coming. Youthink its bad now, just wait and see partner lol.

So Right Jump.........Too bad that the Brownmonster still believes in the tooth fairy

The Milkman

It does not have to get worse. If you stick together at contract time you can get back things that the retirees won for you guys years ago

They still have no clue.........A different mindset nowadays compared to those of us hired back in the early 80's or earlier...Their balls have shrunk to the size of a M&M plain. Ours were as big as golfballs.. The givebacks of the benefits we set up for them in those days for everyones future, just shows that eventually their balls will be as small as a mustard seed in due time

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was at UPS for 38 years. I started out sweeping floors and cleaning commodes. Drove packages and feeders for 37 years. I've been thru many contracts and 2 strikes. It's my feeling that it gets worse overall each and every contract. You may gain something, but the company doesn't give anything away for free. If you make a gain, somewhere in the negotiations, they usually take something back from you. You may or may not realize it at the time. It may not affect you initially. That's the way negotiations work. This is still a decent paying job, and the benefits are way above the norm. It can only get worse for employees in the future. My .02.

rickyb

I'm especially curious as to what anyone who's been with the company for a long time thinks.

I came last January, right before the new contract. -.- I heard that the healthcare was made worse, but my card still says 10 buck copay which is cool. Although, I don't yet know wtf is going on with raises. When I was hired as a package handler, I was told we got dollar raises per year. But, I got some union thing in the mail that showed staggered raises. Like 30 cents one year, 70 cents the other or something.

Incidentally, I've been with UPS for a year and two months, but I haven't gotten my raise yet. Is it the same as last year's raises? Like, it enacts in August, but then you get a check for the difference?

it will get worse just like most jobs in america because of globalization, immigration, women entering the workforce, and automation.

twoweeled

I'm especially curious as to what anyone who's been with the company for a long time thinks.

I came last January, right before the new contract. -.- I heard that the healthcare was made worse, but my card still says 10 buck copay which is cool. Although, I don't yet know wtf is going on with raises. When I was hired as a package handler, I was told we got dollar raises per year. But, I got some union thing in the mail that showed staggered raises. Like 30 cents one year, 70 cents the other or something.

Incidentally, I've been with UPS for a year and two months, but I haven't gotten my raise yet. Is it the same as last year's raises? Like, it enacts in August, but then you get a check for the difference?

Have no doubt. It is going to get a lot worse. The company is gaining so much momentum quickly - it's a fat chance we'll be able to slow them down, let alone stop them. It appears to me, the stronger the company gets, the weaker we get. Everyone is walking around scared of their own shadows. There are no more, let's get moving, or come one let's go. Everything is a trip to the office now, after a scolding in the yard. The more they attack, the more we retreat. Ever try to change a spoiled child after he's been getting his way for a couple of years? They are running over us, and it will get worse, in every way, you can imagine.

The Milkman

Have no doubt. It is going to get a lot worse. The company is gaining so much momentum quickly - it's a fat chance we'll be able to slow them down, let alone stop them. It appears to me, the stronger the company gets, the weaker we get. Everyone is walking around scared of their own shadows. There are no more, let's get moving, or come one let's go. Everything is a trip to the office now, after a scolding in the yard. The more they attack, the more we retreat. Ever try to change a spoiled child after he's been getting his way for a couple of years? They are running over us, and it will get worse, in every way, you can imagine.
You are So RIGHT ON!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hard to get back but easy to lose. How many knew that you lost Black Friday as a day off before the contract was signed
I predict that day will be traded next contract for another optional day. There goes the triple time. Hopefully someone with watermelon sized testicles will save the day.

twoweeled

They still have no clue.........A different mindset nowadays compared to those of us hired back in the early 80's or earlier...Their balls have shrunk to the size of a M&M plain. Ours were as big as golfballs.. The givebacks of the benefits we set up for them in those days for everyones future, just shows that eventually their balls will be as small as a mustard seed in due time

Sooo true. These new guys are going to pay a heavy price for that. For thinking they could sit back and do nothing. Very heavy price. People will soon be afraid to look up when in the yard. I see this already. This company isn't giving anything to anyone they don't have to. Worse than that, UPS is in a full take anything and everything mode. Just watch how they make an issue of absolutely everything, regardless of how trivial. It's a control thing on top of everything else. It's bad now, and getting worse at a surprising rate.

The Milkman

Sooo true. These new guys are going to pay a heavy price for that. For thinking they could sit back and do nothing. Very heavy price. People will soon be afraid to look up when in the yard. I see this already. This company isn't giving anything to anyone they don't have to. Worse than that, UPS is in a full take anything and everything mode. Just watch how they make an issue of absolutely everything, regardless of how trivial. It's a control thing on top of everything else. It's bad now, and getting worse at a surprising rate.

I remember my 1st few peaks 81-83...would come in late and there would be a nice spread, there was a time when after work or sometimes before we would meet at a nice place for breakfast or dinner for a BS session of sorts to discuss ways to make things work( before going public of course) then they would at times have coffee and stuff in the am's for no reason. You would have a chance to discuss what bothered you etc etc, even if they were not taking it to seriously, at least you had a chance to sound off. Picnics (had a couple) that were nice. It was for what it's worth at least a feeble attempt to work together as a team. Then they stopped, then each ctr would have maybe a 6 foot sub sandwich on the mgr's desk when you came in during peak, no mngmt around just a half eaten sub, no salads, plates etc..just a sandwich that may have been opened hours ago sitting there..At least when it was 100 degrees they would put a large bucket with waters out for ya..Then the safe driving awards got cheaper and cheaper...But UPS could spend millions on Nascar and the NHRA when they wanted to etc etc....but for those of us who were on the front lines, who drove Big Brown to where it is today we are sad to say but true...........a forgotten bunch of numbers

Catatonic

Nine Lives
....but for those of us who were on the front lines, who drove Big Brown to where it is today we are sad to say but true...........a forgotten bunch of numbers

I don't think Big Brown ever forgets the important numbers ... $32+/hr in wages and over $50/hour in total compensation.

The Milkman

I don't think Big Brown ever forgets the important numbers ... $32+/hr in wages and over $50/hour in total compensation.

Again your true colors are showing.................You can thank all the Union memebers who made UPS what it is today.The company did not grow with a bunch of drivers and or p/ter's who could not handle the physical side of the job that jumped into Mgnt 1st chance they got to only then to be told whose tail to kiss or who to fire from above. The Bloated salaries of the Board and others did not happen by chance, or earned by those over weight stressed out managers...The Billions were earned by the Union Workers...Not the fat Cats walking around in suits with their ties too tight around their Fat necks

The Milkman

I would assume you know the true meaning of the numbers I was mentioning. Over/under was one...9.5 another...no missed pieces etc etc...and also the numbers placed on us.....How soon you forget...that's right....you are programmed to think like that...Treat all non Stooges like they are nothing but a number....but when someone from Atlanta announces a visit to your hub you all scramble like cock roaches when the lights come hiding pkgs, spending thousands to spruce the building up so the Big Stooges can see a Perfectly run operation..Smoke and mirrors.. I remember seeing all the landscaping and painting going on prior to a visit from someone from the board, spent about 80k...what a Joke..and you say you worry about #'s...well tell the board to put some mirrors in their lounge