Does Driving school trump seniority when TCD???

mariodawk

I'm being told by my shop steward that the date you go to driving school supersedes building seniority. I checked my Union book and I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know how this works?

T

Turdferguson

Need more facts about what you are asking. What region are you from . What is the example of what is happening?

mariodawk

We have 5 Saturday Air Drivers that temporary cover drive. Non of us are certified cover drivers, but we are asked to cover drive on an "as need" basis. when we air drive they use the building seniority list, but when we cover drive they go by the date we went to driving school. It's very confusing

Box Ox

but when we cover drive they go by the date we went to driving school. It's very confusing

Where I am, all TCD assignments go by PT seniority (hire) date. Doesn't matter who trained when. Part time list top to bottom and then off streeters when that's exhausted. No exceptions.

Shop stewards can be wrong. Some never drove as part timers or have been full time so long that they're not aware of how the part timer TCD assignments work.

You should probably get in touch with your local and ask.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Where I am, all TCD assignments go by PT seniority (hire) date. Doesn't matter who trained when. Part time list top to bottom and then off streeters when that's exhausted. No exceptions.

Shop stewards can be wrong. Some never drove as part timers or have been full time so long that they're not aware of how the part timer TCD assignments work.

You should probably get in touch with your local and ask.
Is it also possible that TCDs were added to @mariodawk 's area with the current contract, and this is a relatively new issue that hasn't been settled there?

Johney

Isn't it generally when you officially change job classification your seniority date changes? Until then it stays the same?

Johney

No. Unless you change from PT to FT. Even then you keep your building start date for the number of vacation weeks.
Yes I knew that, should've put that in. It will change going from p/c to feeders here, but that is strictly for bidding runs and picking vacations.

Johney

No one that delivers ground here is part time. You can be laid off but you can double shift for your hours.
We have a ton of guys who are p/t who deliver ground.I've been out of package for a while, but I bet the last 10% of guys who drive routes everyday are p/t cover drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have a ton of guys who are p/t who deliver ground.I've been out of package for a while, but I bet the last 10% of guys who drive routes everyday are p/t cover drivers.
Yeah depends on your local. Ours doesn't allow p/t cover drivers.