Don't put yourself in this situation.

Geo926

They'll either offer him 22.3 in the building or just give him his accrued pension and tell him go work elsewhere.

He'll never drive for UPS again, that much is certain.

I mean would you really want to after such a tragedy? How can one possibly ever focus on his job again?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They'll either offer him 22.3 in the building or just give him his accrued pension and tell him go work elsewhere.

He'll never drive for UPS again, that much is certain.

...and you know all of this based upon a blurb on an Internet chat forum...?

His future with the company will be entirely dependent upon the circumstances of the accident.

I think the only certainty is that he will no longer be on that route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I mean would you really want to after such a tragedy? How can one possibly ever focus on his job again?

Again, depends upon the circumstances. If he did everything that he possibly could have done then he should have no problem getting back behind the wheel. If he didn't......

Johney

When I was growing up, one of my older brothers' friends was at a local beach. (In Texas you are allowed to drive on all beaches, and the beaches are all public) A little girl ran in front of him to get a beach ball. He ran over her and killed her. The little girl turned toward him right before he hit her and looked him in the eye. That has haunted him the rest of his life, as I'm sure this incident will as well. My heart and prayers go out to the child's family as well as the driver involved.
We had a driver in our building get into a crash less than a half mile from the building one afternoon. A man and his nephew going to a local High school football game made a left turn in front of our driver, him T-boning them killing them both. I heard that he had made eye contact with the nephew in the passenger side of the vehicle seconds before the crash, traumatizing him for a very long time.

moldsporh

What an unimaginable tragedy.....I can't even fathom what all persons affected are going through..thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

Look under you vehicle every time you come back to it?

What's next, look to see if kids climb on the roof?

It's a terrible tragedy, but the blame is on the parents.

I have 3 kids and trust me when they were 5, we watched them like hawks.

Yeah....when you walk back to the truck, you glance under from a distance, I generally do from when I drop the parcel if the truck is within view.

That being said, I agree a 5YO playing in the street unsupervised is crazy. He was prob in the yard but where were the parents?

I always look to see daylight under the truck if all possible, I also understand you can't always see under the truck.

You can't put the blame on the driver, I can't imagine that pain.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
My old center had 2 fatalities several years apart that were both ruled avoidable by safety. One driver had an unauthorized passenger, standing in his cab, who fell out. The other driver pulled away from a stop sign into highway traffic and was T boned by a motorcyclist that had the right of way. Both drivers were terminated.

One was rehired, on his old route, after many months off. He retired about 10 years ago.

The second driver was rehired, onto his old route, after about a year off and went into mgmt. He just retired last year.

and got hit crossing the street...
image (6).gif

NonDeliverOtherMissed

I would say yes to protect the company from future liability.
We had a guy hit someone on a motorcycle years ago and kill him...they didn't fire him, he chose to go back inside the building though....other drivers said he could never get behind the wheel of a package car after that...couldn't imagine a 5 year old...very unfortunate

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Two days and Not a word about this in our PCM. Somebody rides over a blade of grass and it's a 5 minute power point about driveways etc.
None in ours, either. Worrying about dog bites, strectching and hydration, and misloads. I brought it up, and I got the blank stare. I showed it to a sup tonight and said, really this is what the pcm should be about. Schools out, weather is great, lots of kids are unsupervised, and the ones that are get excited and forget.
We have a ton of new guys, taking their lunch and breaks in the sups office since they have all gone home. yes I know thats next, lecture from the old girl.

But it is relevant to the time of year, its about safety its important. Im going to keep on it because the new guys need to hear it, and us old ones too.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In a perfect world we would walk around our trucks at every stop, we would have eyes on all four sides of our block heads. Parents would have their kids on a leash. And we would work in clarksville.