DOT 30 minute lunch

menotyou

bella amicizia
The center has been directed by the DM that we are to take our full lunch. Notice no where in there do they say when the contract that we agreed to says.
Most of the drivers at my center have started to take the lunch when prescribed by the contract. They are adding routes at my center. I realize Fort Drum has a lot to do with that. But, I would imagine the lunches being taken when you are suppose to isn't hurting that situation.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Fort Drum. Good name for a rally point.

Kind of Iconic.

Time to beat those drums Union drivers.

Most Drivers in my area Are asleep . They are @ bliss just doing things as they've been and not changing !! Submission.

I'm @ the wrong center !! Maybe a transfer in new contract !!! LOL. Don't want to ask 4, 2 much.

thessalonian13

Ok I know alot of drivers are gonna get on here and be upset that some people dont take 30 minute lunches. As a cover driver I will be the first one to admit Ive done it, simply because we have a bunch of idiots that send us out on routes-BLIND and expect us to somehow take care of every business within the time frames allowed. Theres been several times that 30 minutes I didnt spend taking a lunch saved my bacon. Most people will write in and say, send a message saying you wont make it to such and such, but if you dont know you just dont know simply put. My question is this new DOT 30 minute break in 8 hours of work is that nation wide or are there already people on this? I run in a center where probably 90% of the drivers DO NOT take a lunch.

On another note I dont see what management is trying to do. We are cutting routes LIKE CRAZY what gives? Whats the deal with being back on stops per car? Its absolutely stupid putting an average of stops per car, that is the true antics of someone sitting in a freaking air conditioned office thats never done this job! Once this 30 minute break comes into play its going to change the game ALOT. I dont see how they will be able to cut routes like they are.
The only time I have not taken my HOUR lunch is when I have had a family emergency. I TAKE MY LUNCH EVERY DAY between 1230pm and 230pm. I don't care how many stops l have left. If you run like a chicken without a head, you will get into an accident/hurt and you will be blamed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You know, I still see quite a few drivers @ center 1-2 hrs. early loading and fluffing off clock, and cooking routes to be home. They are the idiots that are killing us and our union. thats why we also need penalties against those drivers in some form.

It's against UPS policy for workers to be in building sooner then 15 minutes b4 start, And also later then 15 minutes after clock out, Yet it's aloud and even used against those of us that don't. Drivers clock out as soon as they get to center b4 they drop air @ dock, drop will calls, etc.. @ customer service, B4 pulling Hazmats off, park truck in building, and pull send agains off !!!

All to have better #'s and keep managers off their back about overallowed !!!

B.S. we need something real this contract !!!
We are the life blood of the contract you can put whatever you want in it until people starting enforcing it and standing up for themselves we are screwed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My area, They don't care when you take it, "or put it in " even if @ end of Day.

I say, I DO care. What the Hell is a lunch @ the end of day !!! that not a lunch, thats holding me hostage, I'm freaking clocking out !!!

Lunch mid day or as close as can !

There should be a law against an end of day Lunch !!

2 many drivers in my area do this. Better then nothing I guess, but it doesn't change the problems on the route !!

Exactly what human being wants to work 10 hours straight then come back and sit for an hour after they are done. Once I drop my paper work and sign the cod turn in I'm going home like it or not.

HULKAMANIA

In what way would you like the company to gear up for any changes you think are needed in regard to this new law? In my center we are currently required to take a 45 minute lunch. Reducing it to 30 minutes would have a minimal impact on the operation. I would rather the company start enforcing the mandatory lunch by going through the Telematics reports for the lunch skippers. I would also like the union to enforce the contract by requiring drivers to take their lunch and breaks as mandated rather than at the end of the day.

As I stated in my first post that 90% of the drivers in this center dont take a lunch. Those are 20-30 year guys to man. So what Im saying is you got guys who are busting rear end to get done just to make it in before 7 for the air to go out, which by the way is still a 9.5, you add 30 minutes to that and guess what. Do you not see what Im saying at all? Regardless of what YOUR CENTER says, there are MANY centers out there where drivers still dont take lunches PERIOD. You may not agree with it but its just the way it is right now. Do you really think management is going to stick to MAKING YOU take a lunch if they can keep you from going 9.5, not have to pay you 30 minutes for sitting. Im not saying thats right by any means, management SHOULD enforce THEIR rules but this is UPS. Management talks out of both sides of their mouths constantly.

HULKAMANIA

Well at the end of the day we all work at different centers, have different management, different union reps, and for a job thats suppose to be the SAME its ALL DIFFERENT! Backlasher I totally agree with everything you say, you have no arguement from me at all. Heres my whole gripe though. I cant speak for you guys or where you work, but where I work the more noise you make, the more you talk about using the union the more you get boned. Its all a bunch of petty juvenile OH you spoke against me so Im going to load you up with such and such. Im gonna ASSIGN You with extra work since you are a whistle blower. Personally I dont want to be on their radar, is that because Im afraid of them? Absolutely not, I just dont want to deal with it PERIOD. I dont want the added stress, the Good Lord knows we all have more than enough stress to deal with without having to deal with some big mouth spewing hot air.

At the end of the day what it boils down to like I said the interest of fairness. Is it fair that someones performance on the day before should dictate how much of a load they have for the next day? NO! Is it FAIR just because you are a lesser seniority driver that running the same exact route you have to run 15 more stops and have added pick ups, because the bid route driver says its to heavy and may get hurt? I may get hurt as well but why am I forced to do something that the other driver doesnt have to do? I know someone will say to fight it, but our management in our center thinks that if you are assigned it then their headache is over with. So what do you do? Refuse to do it and get your termination paper for insubordination? Mind you I am talking about routes that I DO take lunches on. The only time I dont take a lunch is if Im on an extended route on areas I have never been to.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well at the end of the day we all work at different centers, have different management, different union reps, and for a job thats suppose to be the SAME its ALL DIFFERENT! Backlasher I totally agree with everything you say, you have no arguement from me at all. Heres my whole gripe though. I cant speak for you guys or where you work, but where I work the more noise you make, the more you talk about using the union the more you get boned. Its all a bunch of petty juvenile OH you spoke against me so Im going to load you up with such and such. Im gonna ASSIGN You with extra work since you are a whistle blower. Personally I dont want to be on their radar, is that because Im afraid of them? Absolutely not, I just dont want to deal with it PERIOD. I dont want the added stress, the Good Lord knows we all have more than enough stress to deal with without having to deal with some big mouth spewing hot air.

At the end of the day what it boils down to like I said the interest of fairness. Is it fair that someones performance on the day before should dictate how much of a load they have for the next day? NO! Is it FAIR just because you are a lesser seniority driver that running the same exact route you have to run 15 more stops and have added pick ups, because the bid route driver says its to heavy and may get hurt? I may get hurt as well but why am I forced to do something that the other driver doesnt have to do? I know someone will say to fight it, but our management in our center thinks that if you are assigned it then their headache is over with. So what do you do? Refuse to do it and get your termination paper for insubordination? Mind you I am talking about routes that I DO take lunches on. The only time I dont take a lunch is if Im on an extended route on areas I have never been to.

Look Hulk, it's not that we don't understand what your saying.
It's that we have been there.
It's all about having the fortitude to be all that they ask you to be.
Work by their methods, all of them.
Do everything they ask for days, weeks, months and years, and they will not push you as often.
Show them you're willing to take their money and they will move on to easier targets.

If you could find a significant number of like minded co-workers, you would get quicker results.
It can be done, I have only dispatched once since peak.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Just do the math. 31.34 x 5= 156.70 x 52=8148.48 You just gave away over $8000.00 Tell management to pack sand. If you are afraid of them giving you grief you better find another job because no matter how good you are they will hassle you. P.S. I will take the 8 grand

Please take out any vacation weeks, PH's, sickdays, layoff days and repost your new number. Thanks Dragon

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Please take out any vacation weeks, PH's, sickdays, layoff days and repost your new number. Thanks Dragon

This number is based on 5 days of a skipped 1hr lunch at straight time.
Reality is that this number is calculated at time and a half for those who code out an hour and work nine(most of us).
For those who code out less, it's a wash.
Bottom line, the company is getting over on the lunch skippers.
It's not an accident, rather a corporate stategy.

The benefits you listed have no bearing on the lunch issue.

bigblu 2 you

As I stated in my first post that 90% of the drivers in this center dont take a lunch. Those are 20-30 year guys to man. So what Im saying is you got guys who are busting rear end to get done just to make it in before 7 for the air to go out, which by the way is still a 9.5, you add 30 minutes to that and guess what. Do you not see what Im saying at all? Regardless of what YOUR CENTER says, there are MANY centers out there where drivers still dont take lunches PERIOD. You may not agree with it but its just the way it is right now. Do you really think management is going to stick to MAKING YOU take a lunch if they can keep you from going 9.5, not have to pay you 30 minutes for sitting. Im not saying thats right by any means, management SHOULD enforce THEIR rules but this is UPS. Management talks out of both sides of their mouths constantly.
im taking my hour lunch if every air misses pull time,over 9.5,or some one doesnt get their ronco bamboo steamer,or joe supe gets mad or whatever.i will work safely according to method training and advise whomever of any service failures,and will make a reasonable effort to help out other drivers or even management.but DO NOT expect me to give up my break to solve others problems.this is a job/career,not a volunteer service.put on your big boy pants and grow a set or youll be getting this treatment the rest of your stay at the big brown bed & breakfast.dont be a door mat,

rocket man

. i break mine to 2 to 3 breaks but i take it. you have to do what you feel is correct.. to many people not taking it to say you are wrong.its gonna take a while but we will lose the privlidge to have. it and its a privlidge . just say 8000 dont do lunch in a day add up the man hours and how many more routes we ould have.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
the company is never going to stop harassing you to work harder or add the routes you think are so desperately needed

take whatever you feel like or can get away with, or don't

What'dyabringmetoday???

Some drivers will spend part or all of their lunch hours sorting their loads.

I take my lunch between 1545 and 1630 every day. This works out best for me on my area---I don't care what the cover drivers do--as my deliveries and first round of pickups are done. I live on my area and the pickup stop after my lunch is 5 minutes away.

If we all took our full lunch and break as directed by the contract the company would have no choice but to add areas.
If you truly believe the last sentence in your post, perhaps now is a good time to lead by example.

rocket man

friend....... lunch . screw it then see how many want lunch or how many will take it and get a big integrety violation.everyone is gonna do what they want anyway