Double overtime !

Just_another_day_at_work

you get paid extra for overtime? in the uk we just get paid basic rate
no matter how many hours
It's up to the employee, or at least where I was working 5 years ago(UK). You don't have to work over 48 hours per week if you don't want to (that's what a lot of us are wishing for). Also you got couple of weeks vacation from start by law. You don't have to wait for years like here. :wink2:

hopspur

I think in reality it would work better 1.5 first ot hr, 2x the second, and 2.5 any thing over 10. This I think would be a better fix because there are some routes that can't be cut to no overtime, and the co might just think twice about cutting a route.

Was thinking about this today after being told to deliver off-areas loaded in my truck.

Obviously, UPS is not afraid to cut out routes and add more stops on overworked drivers. They have shown that it is cheaper to work us time and a half OT then to put in an extra route or two for better service and an earlier punchout time.

If in our next contract, we accept a pay freeze BUT we insist overtime will be payed 2X instead of 1.5X. Would this make for a happier workforce? Would Hoffa even get out from under UPS's bedsheets and take care of a huge problem that is at the core of over 50% of all negative threads and posts in this forum ! In this economy, freezing our pay and penalizing the extra forced hours makes total sense. The (useless) 9.5 language and a taxed workforce needs to be represented in my opinion.

Just wanted everyone's views on this. Would UPS still find a way to overwork its force at a steeper penalty? Can IE crunch the numbers to fit in their imaginary world? Will the Hoffa Slate need to be shown the door for someone to take care of the driver?

Hey Hef....you said it yourself. UPS would still find a way to overwork it's workforce. The IE people will just adjust their numbers to do just that. In my opinion, it would be no better for us. And, even if the company did give us double time after eight, what would the union give back to them?

Braveheart

Was thinking about this today after being told to deliver off-areas loaded in my truck.

Obviously, UPS is not afraid to cut out routes and add more stops on overworked drivers. They have shown that it is cheaper to work us time and a half OT then to put in an extra route or two for better service and an earlier punchout time.

If in our next contract, we accept a pay freeze BUT we insist overtime will be payed 2X instead of 1.5X. Would this make for a happier workforce? Would Hoffa even get out from under UPS's bedsheets and take care of a huge problem that is at the core of over 50% of all negative threads and posts in this forum ! In this economy, freezing our pay and penalizing the extra forced hours makes total sense. The (useless) 9.5 language and a taxed workforce needs to be represented in my opinion.

Just wanted everyone's views on this. Would UPS still find a way to overwork its force at a steeper penalty? Can IE crunch the numbers to fit in their imaginary world? Will the Hoffa Slate need to be shown the door for someone to take care of the driver?

I agree 100%

But we need to make the penalty for being worked over the 8 hour request automatic doubletime as well. As it is now you have to file. Many guys get harassed into not filing. They know that so they ignore many 8 hour requests.