Driver Asked To Postpone Funeral

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Not a big shock not even at UPS, before I worked for UPS, I was working for this guy. When another workers father dropped dead from a heart attack he was told he could only have 1 day off. His family was like 500 miles away. He quit. I told my boss at the time he was being a jerk and was wrong, he told me to shut up and mind my own business. I quit the next day. The one bright spot was he went out of business about a year later.

rocket man

My father (not my Dad) passed away a few years ago shortly after Peak had begun. His final arrangements had been set with cremation and private ceremony at the convenience of the family. Since there was no immediate need for me to be there I requested the week between Christmas and New Years off, which was granted. We then held the ceremony and settled his affairs.

Had my relationship with my father (not my Dad) been closer this would be a different story.
im sorry about your loss? can you start a post on the 3 things that has not happened to you?

i guess i deserve the bs claim cause i like to have a little fun here once in awhile to stay sane.....but it;s true.

the driver happens to be a good friend of mine and his dad in law has been ill for awhile and he just passed. the week before the holiday is maxed out vaca wise and we have had a lot of xtra feedere work lately.

if you still don't want to believe how heartless this co is I don't know what to say. it is what it is.

I feel bad for my buddy.
How is your twin brother doing?? How much safe driving does he have now???

whenIgetthere

My grandmother died in 1998 at 4:00 AM on Christmas Eve. I got the phone call right before I was getting into the shower and getting ready for work. I went in to work anyway, my dad and uncle were there to deal with her affairs and we had all known it was coming. I didnt want to screw over the guys in my loop who would have been out until 10 that night trying to cover my route. I had already missed one day of work the previous week when she had the stroke and I spent the entire night at the hospital with my family thinking that she would die immediately. In 25 years at UPS that is the only time I have ever missed a day of work in the month of December.

As bad as Fedex is, I will give then kudos for the way they treated me when my dad died six years ago. I was done with my fine sort and ready to leave the building when I got the call that my dad had passed away. Since my parents lived 3000 miles away at the time, I figured I would finish the day out, then take bereavement starting the following day, since his funeral would be back east where I lived. My manager told me to go home, start bereavement the following day, and he ran my route for me that day (of course it helped that every stop was in stop order for him). I really appreciated that, and even though my manager was an a-hole, he came through for me that week.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As critical as I sometimes am of management, I have to say that n 25 yrs I have never heard of anyone in my building getting jerked around about legitimate funeral leave. My brother-in-law died of cancer a couple of months ago and when I called in that morning to say that I couldnt make it to work, I was told to take whatever time I needed and to let them know a day ahead of time when I would be coming back. No hassle whatsoever.

working up a sweat

When my father passed away in 2010. Management gave me 7 days off to handle arrangements. I had to travel 1,000 miles to his home. They were also very polite and accommodating.

brownIEman

"Need you to postpone the funeral, we are short on drivers"... Nope, not even for the biggest POS employee who abuses FMLA, steals time through extended bathroom breaks and pushing break periods and padding miles. The question would never, ever pass my lips or those of any management I know of. Not buying it for a second.

Jigawatts

My wifes grandmother passed on a Friday in October. Funeral was the following Monday. I called Monday morning (pre load) to inform management that my wifes grandmother had passed and I needed to call off to attend the funeral. Management asked me if I could come in and unload for a few hours. I said no.

Gotta say though, not all management is as horrible as a human being as that particular fellow. He's long gone and I'm sure anyone there now would not do the same.